Sponsored

What to buy: GT Prem. PP or C6 Z06

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 prius, 2010 ford escape
Well, guys, I have been lurking on here for several months and posted a few times, and thought I had pretty much made up my mind to get a GT Premium with PP.

I have never been interested in either the Mustang or any GM car until just now with this new Mustang and the C7. I knew nothing about either car, so Corvettes in particular also seemed so overpriced, especially when I didn't know the significance of all the other letter and numbers.

Anyway, I currently drive a Prius. I bought this just as a commuter when my commute each way was 50 miles. That no longer applies, and I have been dying to get rid of it ever since.

I really want to get out of the Prius as soon as possible, but I started thinking about just waiting a bit longer, saving up a bit more money and getting a 2016 C7. I started researching more about that car and I now know that for the same 35-40K that it costs to get the GT Premium with PP, you can get a 2006-2008 C6 Z06.

The car will be my 'daily driver', but I put this in quotes because I work from home and don't have to drive somewhere on any given day. Probably around 6,000 miles per year I would say. So, the car would not be driven in the rain or on really cold days. I'll just not leave the house or take the wife's SUV in those situations.

If I did opt for a new C7 though, it would just be a base (non-Z51) 2LT package. Pretty straight forward.

Anyway, what do you guys think? I mean, I know this is a Mustang forum, but still curious to hear the logic. I will probably post this same thing on the corvette forum. :)
Sponsored

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
Given that you're talking about a C6 Z06, not a C7, I'd go Mustang all day long. I really dislike the C6 Corvette. That said, the C7 Z06 is the only GM car I covet. I'd love to have one if I didn't have to pay for it.

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
Have you driven all 3 options yet? I would definitely start there. Nice part about a new car us the warranty. They are really two different class cars so they are hard to compare.

Personally the Corvette was never an option for me as I needed the back seat.

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have test driven the new GT 3 times, but no Corvettes. And it seems like that won't be an option either. I really hate to have to decide whether or not to buy one of the most expensive cars ever purchased withOUT a test drive. I assume I would have an easier time test driving a used C6 though.

Industry, why do you dislike the C6 so?

Yeah, lack of back seat is and will not be an issue. I do like packing my tennis ball machine in the Prius, and I realize I won't be able to do that anymore regardless.

Last edited:

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
I have test driven the new GT 3 times, but no Corvettes. And it seems like that won't be an option either. I really hate to have to decide whether or not to buy one of the most expensive cars ever purchased with a test drive. I assume I would have an easier time test driving a used C6 though.

Industry, why do you dislike the C6 so?

Yeah, lack of back seat is and will not be an issue. I do like packing my tennis ball machine in the Prius, and I realize I won't be able to do that anymore regardless.
I just really dislike the design aesthetics. To me it looks aggressively uninspired.

Sponsored

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
I would try some test drives back to back. Are the C7s that hard to come by that you cannot find them for a test drive? I know the Budget at my air port has them to rent. If your going to spend that kinda cash you need to drive the thing

Mustangchief

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kona Blue GT
"seems like that won't be an option either. I really hate to have to decide whether or not to buy one of the most expensive cars ever purchased withOUT a test drive. "

Why not an option? If you plan on buying one and have not driven one, you may live to regret it. Even though it may not be an option now, go drive whatever Vette they have. Heck an ECO Boost would feel fast compared to a prius.

Koncealed

Koncealed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
You'd be out of your mind not to get the C6 Z06 over the GT. My good friend has a c6 z06, i've ridden in it multiple times when it was being pushed hard. It's ridiculous, thing's a complete monster. My GT is good, but two classes below it.

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No dealers where I live (DFW) allow test drives of new Corvettes....

I have thought about renting one, but it is like 300 for the day but only 100 miles with every mile over being 0.50.

Sponsored
OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Koncealed,

Well, then can I ask without sounding rude: Why didn't you consider doing the same thing I am?

Koncealed

Koncealed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Koncealed,

Well, then can I ask without sounding rude: Why didn't you consider doing the same thing I am?
I'm barely 19, no way I would let myself own a car that nice. Corvette's hold super car status, while a GT does not. Let alone I'd probably kill myself with that much torque at my disposal on a daily basis.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
You'd be out of your mind not to get the C6 Z06 over the GT. My good friend has a c6 z06, i've ridden in it multiple times and driven it hard. It's ridiculous, thing's a complete monster. My GT is good, but two classes below it.
The comparison is true, but owning one full time isn't as fun if you don't have another car, IMO.

OP: I used to commute a Prius on my 150 mile round trip to/from work. I know where you're coming from and I will drive a car that gets 3MPG before owning another slug like the Prius. I did it for 4 years to take advantage of the carpool lane stickers here in California.

I've purchased new a C5, a C6 (GrandSport Coupe), and currently own the GT PP, and a C7 Z51. I wouldn't DD a C6, the car is really a 12 year old design and the interior and technology does not shine for a DD. The Z will be night and day faster, and will handle so much better, but as a DD it will get old fast. Plus an older Z06 like we're talking about (06-08) can be impacted by the valve dropping issue. Also, a Mustang will blend in when in a parking lot, but Corvettes always seem to attract the a-holes and I hate leaving them in parking lots for long and it will cause concern.

Being completely honest, if I didn't care about the condition of my C7 I would have never bought the Mustang and would DD it. With the Magnetic suspension it both handles better and rides better than the Mustang. Plus, I can attain about 9 mpg more than I can with the Mustang. BUT.... with the number of trucks on the roads here dumping gravel and rocks, I don't want to DD it because of the carbon fiber hood and my Exposed weave carbon fiber roof. The roof panel is $5k to replace if damaged. And again, the a-holes in parking lots.

About buying a base C7: I would seriously suggest you get a Z51 if only so you can get the MSRC suspension. It is night and day over the base and standard Z51 suspension and really makes the car. Maybe look for a lightly used 2014? Most of the 1 owner newer Corvettes are pretty low mileage and in really good shape, at least around here. They don't usually start to be questionable until you're looking at a 2009 or older than is 3-5 owners old.

You said your wife has an SUV, but if you didn't need it would the car be big enough for everything you need to do? For me it is, we have no kids and the most I may haul from work to home would be a small box and a PC. But for some people the lack of a back seat area may be an issue over time, even one as small as the one in the S550.

If you have any specific questions you want to ask about my experience owning these cars, you are free to PM me.

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Koncealed, got it. Good call.
My very first car was a '90 240SX and that was too much for some idiot with a fresh license (me).

HalfMoon, thanks for the response!
Well, like I say, it will be my DD, but that means besides driving it for fun, the only thing I will 'DD' it for is to go to the gym and tennis. At the gym I go to, the corvette will not stand out, so I am not too worried about that sort of thing.

At it stands, I certainly don't drive the Prius for fun, so really, I only drive 2 or 3 times per week. If I had something fun, I would take for a drive just to take a break from work and drive for an hour or so and come right back home and go back to work.

Yeah, I absolutely do not need a back seat. Her car is definitely enough for cargo. And the extremely rare time when I might need a truck, friends and family can cover that.

I would be happy to PM you if/when I think of a good reason to, lol.

Koncealed

Koncealed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Being that you live in Texas, with no cold weather and a lot of flat road, you are 100% fine 'daily driving' the C6. Especially since you have a second car to drive if needed. With regards to C6 Z06 VS C7 Base, I'd say C6, unless you seriously like the looks of the C7 and the interiors refinement. The C6 is such a torque monster, and handles beautifully. If you didn't have any other car, I'd say the C6 is out of the question because of the obvious reasons, but a prius + Z06 combo is actually incredible :D

If you're craving speed and handling, a z06 would satisfy much much more then anything else.
Sponsored