Sponsored

What to buy: GT Prem. PP or C6 Z06

Koncealed

Koncealed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
The ECU is also able to re-tune/learn itself with regards to bolt ons, intake, etc. No outside tune required. My friend has a Corsa intake and Akrapovik exhaust on his, gained power, ecu relearned.
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you're seeing a lot of track time or go cone dodging on a somewhat frequent basis, I feel like the Z06 would be wasted value. If you plan on putting it to good use, go for it, otherwise the GT gets my vote given that it's just more balanced in role.

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 prius, 2010 ford escape
OppoLock, yes, interesting perspective! I always find myself asking myself this very question even regarding the GT.

I doubt I would do any tracking. Never planned on it to be specific. If I did have something like the Z06, then maybe I would.

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Koncealed, good to know about the ECU, thanks!

Yes, I just don't drive much because I have to go somewhere particularly during rush hour traffic. I only drive when I want to drive (non-existent scenario with current car) or to do my own things like gym and tennis.

Note: I will NOT be keeping the Prius. My wife will be keeping her SUV though, she loves that thing.

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
Corvette, I have a friend who has the new 2015 z51 and it is a class or likely 2 ahead of the mustang. Car is smaller and faster. The mustang is a big ole pony. In 3 years my goal is to get into a m4, c7, or maybe a gt350 if they ever offer a dct/ auto. For now the gt will keep me grinning.

Sponsored

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drabon,

Interesting. Please let me ask as I am considering the same thing: Why order a new Mustang and eat the depreciation with the intent of getting something better in just a few years??

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
They are 2 different monsters.

I would go with the mustang as it is fresh And a new design.

If you were talking C7, it would be unfair for me to tell you not to get the Vette, as I almost did And 99% certain that I will pick one of those up soon as well.

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP magnetic
Drabon,

Interesting. Please let me ask as I am considering the same thing: Why order a new Mustang and eat the depreciation with the intent of getting something better in just a few years??
You're going to find depreciation with any car. if it gets you around for 2-3 years and you can break even or make some cash when you trade up... It's a win.

Unless you're okay with driving your current car for those 2-3 years. Then youll just save money all together .

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Corvette, I have a friend who has the new 2015 z51 and it is a class or likely 2 ahead of the mustang. Car is smaller and faster. The mustang is a big ole pony. In 3 years my goal is to get into a m4, c7, or maybe a gt350 if they ever offer a dct/ auto. For now the gt will keep me grinning.
A C7 with the Z51 pack is a much better daily proposition than a C6 Z06 though, and likely more expensive than your average used model. It would make sense to get one of those if you have the budget, but if the comparison stays between an S550 GT and a C6, you'd have to really love performance and be okay with forgetting all the other aspects to consider in a daily driver to want it.

Sered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 335i, big turbo, big fuel
I have test driven the new GT 3 times, but no Corvettes. And it seems like that won't be an option either. I really hate to have to decide whether or not to buy one of the most expensive cars ever purchased withOUT a test drive. I assume I would have an easier time test driving a used C6 though.

Industry, why do you dislike the C6 so?

Yeah, lack of back seat is and will not be an issue. I do like packing my tennis ball machine in the Prius, and I realize I won't be able to do that anymore regardless.
You need to test drive a Z06 first I think. The Z06 is a much harsher car than the GTPP. I know several owners who initially bought theirs to daily drive and regretted it. You've also got the valvetrain issues to deal with too.

Sponsored

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
A C7 with the Z51 pack is a much better daily proposition than a C6 Z06 though, and likely more expensive than your average used model. It would make sense to get one of those if you have the budget, but if the comparison stays between an S550 GT and a C6, you'd have to really love performance and be okay with forgetting all the other aspects to consider in a daily driver to want it.
Yeah, that's my point and opinion as well.

When I sold my C6 and ordered my C7 I could have snapped up a brand new, 2 miles on the clock loaded ZR1 for a steal, but the other factors outweighed the rawness on the C6.

Plus, one of things my wife really likes about my Corvettes (and why I didn't buy a C6 Z06 when I bought my Grand Sport in 2011) has been the removable roof. Now that the C7 Z06 has the removable roof panel, I am seriously contemplating buying one and replacing my Z51 in the next year or two.

Nac79

NAC15GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Ford Mustang GT with PP
I don't have a C6 ZO6, but I do own a C5 ZO6. I always wanted a C6 ZO6 for the 427, but not enough to sale my C5 or trade it in on one.

I was in a position to purchase a used one or a brand new 15 GT with performance pack, and I chose the GT for several reasons.

1) I already have a Corvette.
2) You don't know how a used sports car has been driven previously. More than likely, a C6 ZO6 has been taken thru it's paces a few times. If I was looking for used corvette, I would pick a GS, 427 convertible, or base C6 own by a older gentlemen.
3) LS7 427's have been known to drop values. It's very costly to replace the 427. Those years, you don't have warranty. A new GT does!
4) No contest in performance, however as cool as the C6 ZO6 is, it is yesterday news. A ZR1 for that matter don't get the exposure like a GT350 or C7 Zo6.
5) You will kill yourself coming from a Prius going to a 427! 435 HP is couple steps in HP compared to Prius. However, the C6 ZO6 will give you the best fuel mileage of the two. My C5 is no DD, but I avg. between 27 mpg to 32 mpg on the highway. No sports car can claim those numbers like a Corvette.

But, if you understand the above, a C6 ZO6 is the better bang for buck and will keep it's value long term compared to a 15 GT.

Again, if I didn't already have a ZO6, I would go with the C6 ZO6. I just wanted something different, and don't regret my decision.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
For a daily drive 100% mustang, for a weekend ride, show, track or garage queen definitely zo6. Performance wise zo6 will blow the doors away of the new mustang, hack it might give a hellcat a hell for its money. The old zo6 is lighter than the new zo7 and its pretty nimble, honestly i test driven one and its a blast to drive, too crazy is a good word to describe.

blkandgud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium
For a daily drive 100% mustang, for a weekend ride, show, track or garage queen definitely zo6. Performance wise zo6 will blow the doors away of the new mustang, hack it might give a hellcat a hell for its money. The old zo6 is lighter than the new zo7 and its pretty nimble, honestly i test driven one and its a blast to drive, too crazy is a good word to describe.

I came here to say this....A C6 vette as a DD would be a bit much. But a Mustang GT is a perfect DD car. I know since it's been my DD for the past 4 years.

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I've never owned a Corvette, but I have owned 12 different Mustangs over 28-years of driving.

Here is why I think Mustang's make a better DD choice:
- seating for four
- better outward visibility
- easier entry/exit
- repair parts are cheaper
- customization parts are cheaper
- theft risk is lower
- ride is slightly better
- overall vehicle cost is lower
- tires are cheaper
- Insurance may be cheaper

These are just off the top of my head. Some might not be a concern, but no way around it, pretty much everything for the Vette is more expensive. Additionally, if you want brand new, or near new car, the more expensive the car, the greater the loss of value.
Sponsored