What springs are best for a DD

Muevelos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2017
I want to go lower, bur not affect ride quality negatively! I'm torn between Steeda and BMR
Fotor_159508399259561.jpg
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
SP083 IFF you have the shocks to handle them. to be honest a base GT doesn't have good suspension to begin with, so anything beyond 200/800 is not advised, and even then. Don't do just springs, do the whole damper kit while you've got everything apart anyway.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
SP083 IFF you have the shocks to handle them. to be honest a base GT doesn't have good suspension to begin with, so anything beyond 200/800 is not advised, and even then. Don't do just springs, do the whole damper kit while you've got everything apart anyway.
+1...I tried to save money by just doing springs first, and now am taking it all back apart to install the struts and shocks.

BTW @Muevelos I will have a set of front 7/8" drop J&M 210 lb springs available soon if you are interested.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Almost impossible. Anytime you lower or stiffen the spring rate there is a compromise. You're trading some ride quality for lowered stance and more responsive handling.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I want to go lower, bur not affect ride quality negatively! I'm torn between Steeda and BMR
Your tolerance for a firmer ride (and that of any frequent passengers that you'd rather keep happy) is going to figure in to any choices here.

Firmness is springs, and is usually easier for most folks to live with than outright harshness, which is typically either a damper issue or a matter of frequent bump stop contact.

Norm

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Less suspension travel with no other changes means you’re going to be bonkin your bump stops in more situations. You have to stiffen the springs when you shorten them and add shock dampning to control the stiffer springs, or just accept that some medium bumps will feel harsh when only big bumps would be hard before.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda Progressives, BMR Performance springs, or Eibach ProKit. Each has its pros and cons but all make for a good daily driver.

Steedas: best “stance” in my opinion
BMR: soft rate, dramatic rake (drag car looks)
Eibach: modest drop, 20% stiffer rate (good all-around)

Changing shocks and struts, as above recommended, is a good choice when installing new springs.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have about 400 km on my Steeda Comfort package (progressives and shocks/struts). Its lower, and a little firmer but more controlled. My wife likes it. I've got a base '20 so the suspension isn't exactly the same as a base '17.
Sponsored