Sponsored

What is wrong with my car? Bad U-Joint? Bad Differential/LSD?

OP
OP
Rodpwnz

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
I went to the dealer and they told me I have to change the driver axle shaft and the wheel bearing
Just got the car back yesterday from the shop and they said it was a loose axle nut on driver side. They checked and tightened rear end components and locktite + tighten the axle nut.

The clunk when engaging D and P is 90% gone and I haven’t felt as much clunkiness during driving. $280 everything said and done.

I’ll see how things progress in the coming month, but so far so good!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rodpwnz

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
Hey Guys,

I think the click/clunk is slowly coming back, so maybe it's time to try replacing wheel bearings. It's odd though, because the rear wheels are rock solid and not wobbling at all anymore after tightening the axle nut.

While the car in on the lift, are there any other mods I should have the shop do at the same time? I was thinking of BMR CB005/CB010 or Keltrac's lockout kit.

OP
OP
Rodpwnz

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
Update: I replaced both rear wheel bearings and clunk is still there, albeit slightly less aggressive than before. Now I'm thinking it's either axle half shafts or U joints....

I have a track day this weekend, I hope it holds up. Might have the shop there take a look.

Johnnystang2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang 1968 mustang
I have a 22 Mach one and around 10,000 miles that same exact clunk started seem to get worse every now and then some days seems not so bad but now at 16,000 miles it’s pretty constant especially when coming to a stop or accelerating from my light or in stop and go traffic.. like you said, you can feel it as well not just hear it. I’ve taken it to Ford and they say everything seems normal and they don’t notice it. They are dog shit. I’ll try a few other dealerships.. I’ll update if it ends up getting fixed or failing soon.

OP
OP
Rodpwnz

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
I have a 22 Mach one and around 10,000 miles that same exact clunk started seem to get worse every now and then some days seems not so bad but now at 16,000 miles it’s pretty constant especially when coming to a stop or accelerating from my light or in stop and go traffic.. like you said, you can feel it as well not just hear it. I’ve taken it to Ford and they say everything seems normal and they don’t notice it. They are dog shit. I’ll try a few other dealerships.. I’ll update if it ends up getting fixed or failing soon.
Most dealers are useless when it comes to warranty, especially for things that involve sound or feel - not easy to scan codes.

I believe I replaced the rear wheel bearing assemblies and that solved the issue. I would suggest timken or SKF branded for a more affordable alternative to OEM ford.

good luck! And please let us know how it turns out!

Sponsored

JTMtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
How about when you put it in reverse and back up? Mine clunks when I downshift into 3rd or 2nd abruptly. Mine also then after braking , then starting backing then starting back up does it again. It also does it when Reversing. I'm going to my mechanic next week. I'm gonna replace alot of bushings and possibly the u joint to make sure of things.

Let's keep each other updated. Thank

Johnnystang2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang 1968 mustang
How about when you put it in reverse and back up? Mine clunks when I downshift into 3rd or 2nd abruptly. Mine also then after braking , then starting backing then starting back up does it again. It also does it when Reversing. I'm going to my mechanic next week. I'm gonna replace alot of bushings and possibly the u joint to make sure of things.

Let's keep each other updated. Thank
Yes it does it when I reverse too, pretty sure it does from 4th to 3rd with mine. had a mechanic briefly look at my driveshaft. It does move a little bit, but he says everything seems normal and he doesn’t think it’s that. setting up an appointment Monday at a different Ford so it will probably be a week .I will update you when I can. If you live in Florida and in the Tampa area, I’ll go with you. We could bring them together.lol

JTMtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
Yes it does it when I reverse too, pretty sure it does from 4th to 3rd with mine. had a mechanic briefly look at my driveshaft. It does move a little bit, but he says everything seems normal and he doesn’t think it’s that. setting up an appointment Monday at a different Ford so it will probably be a week .I will update you when I can. If you live in Florida and in the Tampa area, I’ll go with you. We could bring them together.lol
I'm in Massachusetts... I sent my mechanic a bad differential video and how the thudding happens with that... He still believes with mine it's either the driveshaft with has play in the center boot bearing. Or the bolt that somehow snapped off in the rear differential frame. I'm going to replace the bolt a d bushings first. I honestly think it's the differential... I had him put in the 4.11 gears 2 years ago and the car has been shifty side to side when accelerating since. Eventually I will figure it out. I'll keep you updated.
Sponsored