What is my paint doing?

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I have this issue happening on edges all over my car. Any idea what is happening here? It looks like the paint separated/broke away somehow to me.

Paint-Issue-1.jpg
Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Is that in every panel gap? Looks like it's not happening on the other half there. Are you certain that's not wax or compound which has dried in the panel gap? Very common.

Otherwise I am not sure. Looks like it could be shrinkage of the basecoat, revealing primer underneath. Just a guess, I am not a paint/body guy. But the paint on the S550s basically blows so it wouldn't surprise me.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Is that in every panel gap? Looks like it's not happening on the other half there. Are you certain that's not wax or compound which has dried in the panel gap? Very common.

Otherwise I am not sure. Looks like it could be shrinkage of the basecoat, revealing primer underneath. Just a guess, I am not a paint/body guy. But the paint on the S550s basically blows so it wouldn't surprise me.
I originally thought it was wax buildup. But sadly it’s not. It’s random where it happened, not the entire way on any seam, but it’s doing this on both doors, the trunk, and some of the body and roof.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Update to my issue:

I heard back from the dealer. I am authorized by Ford for a complete repaint of my car, removing every panel to do so. Every edge/panel of my car has this paint defect, per the body shop.

The dealer had already tried to initiate a claim for me with Ford Customer Relations about a swap or buyback but were denied, I had to call to do it myself.

The dealer advised me pretty much right away that I wouldn't want this re-painted torn apart car. I am waiting on a call back from the local FMC rep who is handling this from here, but my service advisor/people at the dealership seem pretty confident Ford will do this swap for me.

Ford Customer Relations has escalated my issue and I am told I'll hear about next steps by Monday.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
You know, if you wanted any other color. it might be a time to throw it out there, maybe get a color you normally couldn't of gotten? Grabber blue 19 jk lol. I dont know if ford would allow a different color even if you offered a little added to it too.

Sponsored

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
You know, if you wanted any other color. it might be a time to throw it out there, maybe get a color you normally couldn't of gotten? Grabber blue 19 jk lol. I dont know if ford would allow a different color even if you offered a little added to it too.

Sorry, Take the F'ing car back!! I want a new CAR....... Lemon Law!!
A dealer re-paint is gonna suck. And, what about resale value?? I wouldn't even do it IF I could
use my preferred paint shop ( which is great ). Besides , FORD would not let you do this. Ask me how I know??

I had the "INFAMOUS" hood blistering/bubbling. I DID NOT want another FORD hood.
I bought a quality after market Alum. hood and had "MY" paint shop paint it!!!!

NO,NO,NO!

Your call. It's your hard earned money ( I presume ) Let us know!

Last edited:

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
At my dealership there is a 16 ecoboost for sale cpo- the hood and fender are blistered

I asked about it, saying if I get it will warranty cover the corrosion? Their response

Buy it file claim and find out

Fuck the hell off

But my ford body shop is top notch.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Resale?

It's a GT, not some special car that's going to be sold for a profit down the line.... A repaint isn't going to affect value except for that one in 100 special idiot who thinks it matters.

I don't know the Lemon Law specifics for Ohio but generally the vehicle needs to have a number of issues before you can invoke that.

If Ford is paying for it, I believe Ford will get to pick who does the repair work as insurance isn't involved.

A competent body shop can do the job just fine, there's really nothing to be concerned about.

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Resale?

It's a GT, not some special car that's going to be sold for a profit down the line.... A repaint isn't going to affect value except for that one in 100 special idiot who thinks it matters.

I don't know the Lemon Law specifics for Ohio but generally the vehicle needs to have a number of issues before you can invoke that.

If Ford is paying for it, I believe Ford will get to pick who does the repair work as insurance isn't involved.

A competent body shop can do the job just fine, there's really nothing to be concerned about.
Umm, flaming and attacks on forum members is unacceptable. I imagine that also includes name calling which could lead
to a forum fight. I suggest you read #2 of the forum rules.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
“Idiot” was part of a very general example, not directed at you.

Calm down there, hall monitor.

Sponsored

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm calm buddy. I just have a better vocabulary than you!!

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I forgot to update this thread when I updated my other one, sorry!

The update is Ford is buying my car back. The body shop was going to cost them about $15,000 to repaint my car and once it was time to start that work they called me about buying it back. It took a few weeks from then before I got the official word, but last Friday I was contacted buy the RAV dept and the process is started + they have contacted my dealership to get the info on the new car they are going to build me.

Of my choices of all my $$ back or finding a new car, I asked them to build me one just like I originally ordered. I am changing the color and adding active exhaust, but other than that I still want a Mustang. So I have a happy outcome (eventually, when the new car arrives) for my issues.

I'm obviously really happy Ford is doing right by me and not sticking me with this car.

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The update is Ford is buying my car back. The body shop was going to cost them about $15,000 to repaint my car and once it was time to start that work they called me about buying it back. It took a few weeks from then before I got the official word, but last Friday I was contacted buy the RAV dept and the process is started + they have contacted my dealership to get the info on the new car they are going to build me.

Of my choices of all my $$ back or finding a new car, I asked them to build me one just like I originally ordered. I am changing the color and adding active exhaust, but other than that I still want a Mustang. So I have a happy outcome (eventually, when the new car arrives) for my issues.

I'm obviously really happy Ford is doing right by me and not sticking me with this car.

Congrats! Looks like your buying the beer. :clap:

Arcadia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 Velocity Blue

Congratulations- what color are you switching to?

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium