What is a street car, what is a drag car

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
Had a little debate with a friend of mine. He has a 67 tube chassis Camaro. Fiberglass panels race car. he claims its a street car. He runs race gas. drives in in a Christmas parade and for the hell of it got it tagged it has head lights tail lights and turn signals. Its a stripped down interior, its not fun to ride in for any length of time. We took it on a 30 mile trip. I had enough. I love fast cars but I was done after 30 miles..... It started out as a street car but I told him if you can't go out and do your errands in it and fill her up at the pump it's not a street car. (he can't do any of that) A buddy of mine has a 2012 GT that runs mid 9's on drag radials on the street. I don't know what he does on a prepped track. He drives it every day to and from work, fills it up with 93. Takes the kids to school. He has a twin turbo set up with a 2 speed power glide and some other stuff. Retains AC, radio, leather interior, and everything. I said that's a street car. His response was that's a slow car. I say its a real street car. Anyways my question to you, what point does a street car not qualify as a street car.
Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I totally agree with your assessment. Just because it's "street legal" doesn't make it a street car. Although, I wouldn't mind a ride in either one for a quick trip to Mexico.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The same argument -- and let's not sugar coat it...it's an argument -- has been going on locally for years. "Is it a street car or a race car? The argument is as old as Methuselah. If the car can't be used for anything more than racing IMHO or going to a local cruise in within a 10 mile radius of home without being hauled on a trailer, it doesn't fit the definition of street car in my book. But each has his/her own concept of the definition. Some claim that because they can drive the car a half mile to get a Wendys sandwich its a street car even though they are beat to death, sweating like a boxer that has just gone 12 full rounds, and the fuel cell is 3/4 empty by the time they return home.

Do what I do with a buddy of mine. When he claims his is a "street car" challenge him to a distance run to prove its a street car. Run him from say Little Rock to Memphis and back for a week's wages. Tell him the cars have to run as they sit. Tell him an Odometer is required to prove he drove the full distance. And no mods to the setups such as swapping a fuel cell for a fuel tank. Run as they sit. If he keeps jawing with excuses shorten it to half the drive distance. No "street car" running E-85 with a 5 gallon fuel cell can go further than about 75 miles without needing a fill up. and that's giving them the benefit of getting 15 MPG which is really a stretch.

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I totally agree with your assessment. Just because it's "street legal" doesn't make it a street car. Although, I wouldn't mind a ride in either one for a quick trip to Mexico.
I told him just because you stick feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken. Sticking a plate on it doesn't make it a "street car"

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My opinion is that if there's a cage in the car it isn't designed for street use and it isn't safe to be driven on the street. That is one of my cut offs for street versus drag cars.

Another opinion of mine is any car with pizza cutters in front is a drag car. No normal/standard front disc brakes: drag car. Slick rear tires: drag car. Spool: drag car.

I'm sure you can use a million different criteria. Comfort isn't a very good one in my opinion because some people will put up with a lot.

Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Three simple rules:

1. Has a place to put your date. This does not include your lap.

2. Needs to be able to run errands. Grocery store, pickup/drop-off people, etc.

3. Can go on a trip AND be able to handle unforeseen traffic. Can't be sweating bullets while staring at the fuel gauge the entire time.
#s 1 and 3 for sure. Might add 3a, the temp gauge as well.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Three simple rules:

3. Can go on a trip AND be able to handle unforeseen traffic. Can't be sweating bullets while staring at the fuel gauge the entire time.
I don't think these are adequate. Basically anything could pass this - the Nova in Deathproof for example.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Feel free to add points 4 and 5.
Just having a conversation. My points that I posted earlier are all safety related because I don't think comfort is a measure that is easy to agree upon.

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Three simple rules:

To be fair though, as I said, I took a ride in it (not his date lol), He is able to run errand, however, it's not fun. Can go on a short trip handle unforeseen circumstances is questionable.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Three simple rules:

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
Pizza cutters should not make it a drag car. I have all Steeda q50 road race suspension and Baer Big Brake kit and have pizza cutters on the car from time to time. I also drive it on 20" CS3's. Car can run 9s in the 1/4 and its the only vehicle I own. Drive it 400+ miles a week
20190212_144958.jpg
20200201_123411.jpg
Sponsored