Sponsored

What did you do to your UK S550 Mustang Today

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
What grade is the bolt you have snapped ?

My bikes are full of Ti bolts for bling as they are on show and for weight saving, but those attributes aren’t really applicable for that area on a car.

If it’s grade 8 or metric 10.9 you should be OK, but if it’s 12.9 think twice. Oh yeah, and the cost for a Ti bolt of that size will be erm … at lot … lol :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah but what markings are on the head of the bolt ?

Ford have surprised me with the spec (in a good way) that they have used for bolts that are in limited stress applications (e.g. the ones that they supply ‘free’ for the jacking rails are 10.9).

Just don’t put something in your particular application that’s rated less than the stock bolt :like:

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah but what markings are on the head of the bolt ?

Ford have surprised me with the spec (in a good way) that they have used for bolts that are in limited stress applications (e.g. the ones that they supply ‘free’ for the jacking rails are 10.9).

Just don’t put something in your particular application that’s rated less than the stock bolt :like:

Says 109
Some of the bolts I've looked at have torque ratings, the stock should be torqued to 76ft lb and the "supplied" bolt to 81 ft lb

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
OK well that’s a metric 10.9 bolt which is pretty tough - similar to a grade 8 stateside bolt and also similar to a grade 5 titanium bolt (grade 5 titanium is what most titanium bolts are made from).

If you want to go Ti I think you should be OK with a genuine grade 5 (lots of Chinese bolts on eBay and I am skeptical by nature) - so please be aware and satisfy yourself with your own research i.e. don’t blame me … lol

Just be aware that I believe Ti can be very ‘notch sensitive’ which can considerably shorten its fatigue life if it’s ever subject to a sharp change in diameter (like a worn step etc). Make sure you buy from a reputable source and on a bolt that’s going to be stressed, look for rolled threads :like:

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My bikes are full of Ti bolts for bling as they are on show and for weight saving, but those attributes aren’t really applicable for that area on a car.
That's the reason I looked up titanium bolts, I snapped the aluminium bolt on my bikes suspension and replaced it for like £4.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking a 109 nut and bolt for £5 might be the safer choice, titanium seems to have issues staying torqued.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
technically not today but yesterday did a run up and down the Great Glen just to see a couple of mates up North. Glorious day for it, @Kristian87 you have to make the effort to either head up this way or down this way from your Scotland trip if you have the time. Car has so much torque that apex to apex in 5th was easily achievable unless of course stuck behind slower traffic

Took a photo while I was waiting on a mate turning up.

runOut.jpg

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Today I tightened the rear drive shaft wheel bearing bolts as one was very slightly loose. Bit of red locktite in there now so hopefully won’t unwind again. Fingers crossed I caught it before it destroyed the wheel bearing. Starting to wonder what other bolts ford forgot to put locktite on. Or maybe they didn’t forget but worked out they could save 1 dollar per car if they didn’t bother with threadlock. I wonder if the cylinder heads are tight?

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
technically not today but yesterday did a run up and down the Great Glen just to see a couple of mates up North. Glorious day for it, @Kristian87 you have to make the effort to either head up this way or down this way from your Scotland trip if you have the time. Car has so much torque that apex to apex in 5th was easily achievable unless of course stuck behind slower traffic

Took a photo while I was waiting on a mate turning up.
Thanks for the tip!

day 3 is fort william to the west coast of skye, so i’ll do a bit of it i think

may have time to travel a bit further up than planned though, before heading west.

D68068F4-AB7B-4C8B-813D-9F5089F69702.png

the driving is going to be truly epic. Day after that will be skye to ullapool, via applecross. I did applecross in 2016 (anti clockwise) but there was so much fog, we didn’t get the views. Keeping my fingers crossed for that day

DF392D4F-7774-428B-94CE-0A8E907B1AF4.png

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
@Kristian87 - that's some nice roads you've got picked. Day 3 you will get the Great Glen upto Invergarry I think? That's when you turn west for the Skye road which can be quite challenging with the camper vans but the run over the top from Invergarry is stunning, lots of sweeping corners and open roads then on past the Clunie Inn on the way to Kyle of Lochalsh. I thiink the Kyle has a petrol station just on the left that sells SUL and Broadford certainly has got one.

Day 4 - I prefer going North (like you are planning to) through Gairloch as the interesting corners open up as you go through them whereas heading south on that road there's some seriously tightening corners that really pucker the butt.

The route you've planned is gonna be awesome. Applecross is amazing when you get it clear, can see Skye from up there lol. Doesn't happen often though. I'm itching to head back up on those roads though the Mustang is a wide old car so yeah that'll be interesting how i manage it. I hope you get the weather on your trip, stunningly good roads you have planned.

Fort William - if you are heading via Glasgow / Tyndrum there's new Avg Speed Cameras from Crianlarich to Tyndrum, noticed them yesterday when I passed there but clear after Tyndrum (awesome roads from then on). Did you know about the mini Nurburgring ? Glencoe to North Ballachulish on the B836? There's a guy in Kinlochleven has a Mustang 60's / 70's model. Great exhaust on it :sunglasses:
How you getting back from Ullapool or you heading north to do the NC500 clockwise?

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Did you know about the mini Nurburgring ? Glencoe to North Ballachulish on the B836? There's a guy in Kinlochleven has a Mustang 60's / 70's model. Great exhaust on it :sunglasses:
How you getting back from Ullapool or you heading north to do the NC500 clockwise?
Not heard of the mini Nurburgring! Will add that to my final blast of research this week haha

From Ullapool, we're round to Thurso, following the NC500 route. A stop at Smoo Caves and Coco Mountain will be in order :rockon:

Then we are heading all the way down to Nethy Bridge, via John O Groats in the am - because we stopped at Lands Ends a few weeks ago. Didn't get to properly look at Dunrobin Castle either last time I was up so hoping to stop there too.

Then down through the Caringorms to Edinburgh. I've Heard a lot about the Old Military Road so looking forward to that. 2 nights in Edingburgh so a Whiskey tour was booked haha

Going to be a blast I'm sure. Just finished moving flats this weekend, 4 days of non stop action so will be a well deserved break.

Did find 5 mins the other day to screenshot the other bits of the route. May do a nice long thread with photos like I did in 2016 if I can find the time :sunglasses:

Day 1.jpg
Day 2.jpg
Day 3.jpg
Day 4.jpg
Day 5.jpg
Day 6.jpg
Day 7.jpg
Day 9.jpg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like you are starting near Preston ? :like:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Looks like you are starting near Preston ? :like:

More of a pass through! Starting Friday night from Newbury, after we finish work at 5pm. Drive to Preston, demolish a McDonalds for dinner, then back on the road bright and early for Glasgow

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
@Kristian87 yeah that looks like you've got the perfect road trip :sunglasses: . Seaforth in Ullapool is great for er seafood haha (fish and chips awesome for me but you'll have that earlier in Applecross no?) also Arch Inn does good food too and has a brilliant beer garden on the loch front. I'm just north of Glasgow myself, could've met you on your overnighter here but these are strange for planning anything.
Glasgow is still in Tier 3 so different rules apply from rest of Scotland, Moray as well still in Tier 3 for another week. Bring your masks and cleanser and midge spray of course!
Sponsored