Sponsored

What cars did you cross-shop before deciding on the Mustang?

OP
OP

high_glove_side

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 AGM 1LE
In light of this thread... my cross-shopping has seemed to come to an end. I pulled the trigger today on a (here come the jeers) '15 Camaro SS 1LE. Brand new, and while I had a few slight nitpicks about the car, it drove great, and the price just proved to be too good to pass up on.

I pick it up Saturday... it's going to be a very long week!!!
Sponsored

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 bmw m3
i'm pretty sure i'm settled on a 5.0PP. my criteria have been: fun to drive, family friendly, and can survive a track day, bonus points for a forum where there was actual discussion about HPDE driving. (i originally wanted something i could easily haul the kids around in on a daily basis, but have migrated towards something i can use just in a pinch [i'm 6'3'', wife is 5'4'', two kids in carseats, one is rear-facing ... not the best scenario for 2+2 cars but it'll work if needed])

my search has included:

keep my 2016 M3 (rarely USE the darn thing, feels like i'm throwing money away, absolutely perfect car for all my criteria though, trying to be smarter with money though ... :headbonk:)
-- bmw m235i (back seat too small, sure is fun to drive/flick around though, little "cute")
-- audi s3 (little to no track support that i could find, a little "cute")
-- camaros (hated how cheap the interiors felt, not interested in supporting the bowtie company right now)
-- Focus ST, Focus RS, Golf R, GTI PP (makes me feel like i'm back in college, maybe it's a personal problem. also my wife always tells me how much she hates the look of all of them)
-- WRX/STI (same as the hot hatches, also i blew the motor on my 09 sti and that's still their standard issue motor ... *yawn* also dated, cheap and unesthetic interiors)

the m235i and S3 are the closest in the running but very different cars. i like the N/A V8 as i've never owned one. i like buying new, otherwise a whole lot more cars would be in the picture (i see it as a way to help narrow my search). the GTPP looks good to me, sounds good, is decently quick, seems to do well enough on the track with the normal pad/fluid/tire upgrades, and i can put both carseats in the back seat with my wife comfortably in the front... and me.. well i fit but less comfortably. i also like that massive amount of aftermarket support for the mustang and reasonable price of parts (the "M3 tax" is crazy).

anyway, i plan on doing a track even with my M3 and getting the GT PP in December! just gotta figure out which boxes to check.

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 bmw m3
There are actually dealers here that dont let anyone test drive the mustangs too. Turned around and walked out the door. says its company policy ... what a joke for a 30k car
:clap2:

a local subaru staff member gave us a really hard time with test driving the WRX (30mph max, 1/2mi up the road and back with him in the car, lol!) ... and they said "no" to an STi drive a year or two ago. we're both over 30 yrs old. smh.

no way i would buy a car without a test drive, unless it were some kind of porsche gt3 or something. i actually would have switched dealers if the salesman didn't let me take it home. i'm only about 5 miles from the dealership and he was happy to let me take it so i could show my wife, let her drive in a comfortable environment (she gets really nervous with a salesman in the car), and test-fit my kids' car seats.

so funny how these guys act. i'm sure there are people who are abusive, etc, etc, but you just blacklist those guys. denying test drives is a surefire way to lose sales.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I drove the VW Golf Mk7 GTI with PP while ordering the Mustang. Though about getting a MY2014 Camaro a few years ago, but it all came to down the Mustang really quick after I read that it will come to germany as well.

I liked the new Audi TT as it was presented for the first time, but this car is insanely expensive if you want it as a sportscar with a bit of equipment (Mustang 40k€, Audi TT 60k€) and it's really not a daily driver in terms of space in the trunk and on the backsets. So it never really was a real choice.

So in the end it really was all about the 2015 Mustang since about August/September 2014. Best decision I ever made, not comparison to the emotionless GTI (and the GTI cost as much as the Mustang GT)

The current Mustang is really the most beautiful and awesome car I ever saw on streets in germany. No surpise Porsche drivers get frustrated that this car gets way more attention than theirs (which you see every day)

Qtrhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
In light of this thread... my cross-shopping has seemed to come to an end. I pulled the trigger today on a (here come the jeers) '15 Camaro SS 1LE. Brand new, and while I had a few slight nitpicks about the car, it drove great, and the price just proved to be too good to pass up on.

I pick it up Saturday... it's going to be a very long week!!!
Congrats! I am watching the 2016 Camaro as well I love the new interior and the magnetic ride control on the SS version. Nothing wrong with cross shopping and the 1LE is great car.
Sponsored