Sponsored

What cars did you cross-shop before deciding on the Mustang?

Tb8983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Fist, fost, 12-13 Camaro ss(had a '12 ZL1 not practical for dd use), 13-14 gt 5.0. But drive the Eco and found the best of both worlds. Now to start saving for a focus rs
Sponsored

Last edited:

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
I think if I go 4 door it will be a base mazda 6 with custom 18" wheels. That thing looks very nice for a 4 door and Mazda knows how to tune suspensions for the best combination of comfort and handling whereas the Accord would fall flat in spirited driving. Really that's the best choice for me and I do plan on going and driving one.
You can also get into one of these for as cheap as a mazda 6, the 4 banger model with 210 hp and all wheel steer (or all wheel drive SH if you want to pay more).
11262456_10206804812147020_6314587428824537219_o (1).jpg

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
When my '95 got totaled out, I almost jumped on the Accord V6. Held out to see what the new Mustang was going to look like. Fell in love at first sight and held out and waited 15 months for mine.

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
No, a TLX is more like $30K. I don't buy into the joke of an EX-L or Touring that is still the same mechanically as the LX. I would get an LX and upgrade the wheels. I wanted the Sport model until this year when they went from 18" to 19" wheels. WHy?!???! It's an Accord! If I buy a 4cyl Accord I want economy, and $200 tires is NOT economy. The 2015 Sport is a nice package. Can't buy used. 1 year old used cars, especially Honda is a suckers deal. No money saved when you do the math over the miles used. The monetary value of the 1st 10K miles of a car is a lot.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
I was actually shopping for a Mazda 6 or a Ford Fusion. Ultimately decided that the Fusion was the one I wanted. Went to my Ford dealership, they didn't have the Fusion equipped they was I wanted. So as I was leaving, I saw the orange Mustang, walked back in, said I was taking the orange Mustang. 4 Months later here I am, happier than ever.
I actually traded my wifes 2014 Mazda6 touring on my new GT. Loved the mazda6 one of the greatest cars I've owned. My lease wasn't up for a few months and wanted a new stang and she wanted an SUV now a few months later we are both happy.

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I had a little less than $40k to spend, so BMW 228i and Audi A5 were on the list. Also top-end Fusion, Accord Hybrid, Passat TDI. Pretty eclectic mix. Decided I didn't need a sedan this time, and I hadn't had a DD Mustang for more than 10 years.

NOT the Challenger or Camaro.

No regrets at all. Couldn't be happier with the car or the choice.

MrPlutonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Did you even fit in it okay?
It was extremely difficult to get into and out of I found.
My head was against the roof, and visibility out the windshield was very limited.
I fit in okay but I'm only 5'10". What killed it for me was the thought that I would almost certainly run over pedestrians attempting to make left turns. Those pillars are something else.

That and the interior reminded me of a 90's pickup.

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
No, a TLX is more like $30K. I don't buy into the joke of an EX-L or Touring that is still the same mechanically as the LX. I would get an LX and upgrade the wheels. I wanted the Sport model until this year when they went from 18" to 19" wheels. WHy?!???! It's an Accord! If I buy a 4cyl Accord I want economy, and $200 tires is NOT economy. The 2015 Sport is a nice package. Can't buy used. 1 year old used cars, especially Honda is a suckers deal. No money saved when you do the math over the miles used. The monetary value of the 1st 10K miles of a car is a lot.
Ya, the sport package is a pretty good deal.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
One of these 2 cars has won Car&Drivers top 10 award for over 25 years, I don't think the other has ever.
C&D has changed their minds of late, and has had the Mazda 6 on the 10 Best List. It's also beaten the Accord head to head at least twice in a row.

Still, if I were seriously buying a sedan for 150k miles, it would be a Honda in a heartbeat.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
C&D has changed their minds of late, and has had the Mazda 6 on the 10 Best List. It's also beaten the Accord head to head at least twice in a row.

Still, if I were seriously buying a sedan for 150k miles, it would be a Honda in a heartbeat.
I also own a '15 Mazda6. It's a fantastic driving sedan, and at least for me was far cheaper than the Accord option. It looks better and, while it doesn't have as much power, it handles very well and has comparatively excellent road feedback.

My Mustang's still better though. :)

Sponsored

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
used 2012 c63 coupe - insurance and gas way too expensive. as were repairs since warranty over
camaro - liked the look of mustang a bit better
EVO - they wouldn't let me test drive it. you want to be that snobby over your car? no business for you
370z - already had a 350z. and at the time it was too expensive. after i bought the mustang, they dropped the price of the 370z in canada from 40k+ to 29k. that would've made the decision a LOT harder...

MjC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang v6 triple yellow
I was quite in love with the mercedes CLA when it first came out. Even test drove one on the same day I drove the mustang. Comfort hands down the cla wins. The real big deciding factor was I love the front end but back end is "meh" not to mention it was going to be 15k more expensive, expensive maintenence.

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Considered CLA also but...cla250, not nearly enough power. looks GREAT but to have the same 0-60 as a rav4 or camry v6 is depressing. cla45, maybe if i could afford it.

MjC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang v6 triple yellow
Considered CLA also but...cla250, not nearly enough power. looks GREAT but to have the same 0-60 as a rav4 or camry v6 is depressing. cla45, maybe if i could afford it.
yep it was the cla250 for me too
definitely slower and not as fun to drive. Suspension is alot softer.
Money is always going to be a huge deciding factor :shrug:
mustang hands down no other choice to be made in its price range for me

OP
OP

high_glove_side

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 AGM 1LE
used 2012 c63 coupe - insurance and gas way too expensive. as were repairs since warranty over
camaro - liked the look of mustang a bit better
EVO - they wouldn't let me test drive it. you want to be that snobby over your car? no business for you
370z - already had a 350z. and at the time it was too expensive. after i bought the mustang, they dropped the price of the 370z in canada from 40k+ to 29k. that would've made the decision a LOT harder...
Just test drove a used 370z today, and actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would. The storage space, or lack thereof, would probably become an issue for me after the 'new ride' factor wore off.

Used ZL1's are just a bit too far out of my price range right now, but that too would be an absurdly tempting car to put in the mix. But then you start playing the "well, for a tiny bit more you could be in a GT350.." :frusty:
Sponsored