Sponsored

What Can I Do - Car Feels "Slow" In Lower RPM Bands

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
One thing I have noticed in the now 2000 miles I've driven my 19GT is that in the lower RPM bands in gears 1-2-3 the car doesn't really wake up until it hits 4500 or so RPMs. I don't want to say it is a dog in lower RPMs but it certainly feels slower.

Once I get to 4500 and above it screams.

I know that first gear in the MT-82's isn't the best. The car has 3:73's in it. I'd thought about going 4:09's but not sure that is the answer.

Any suggestions on what I can do to wake up the lower end?
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
If you don't care about the top end go with an F150 intake manifold. That'll give you a boost in power down low and midrange but will fall off over 6500-7k.

If you'll spend more money, get a supercharger.

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipple, VMP, or Roush. Take your pick
If you don't care about the top end go with an F150 intake manifold. That'll give you a boost in power down low and midrange but will fall off over 6500-7k.

If you'll spend more money, get a supercharger.
E85 and tune. Cheapest power adder out there per dollar. You pick up a ton of low end and mid range. My BDX tuner plus custom tuning was like 460 shipped.
Thanks, guys. The E85 intrigues me and I will definitely be reading up on it more. I know that with any tune it will void the warranty (that's what Ford said at least). So I was thinking I would wait a bit to get into the Lund/PBD tunes.

I'm definitely going FI in the future though. I can get the whipple through the dealership I bought it from and still have warranty - they're a Roush dealer.

How does the CJ intake compare to the F150?

I'm hoping to run 11's NA on this car before I start fooling with it.

Edit: I've mentioned before but this is my first foray into the Coyote motors. I know back in the 302 days in my foxes I would slap 4;10's, upper and lower intake, heads and cam and be good. This is a whole new beast for me.

It's fun learning about it!

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You want boost. Otherwise just get used to revving it out. It's a riot.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yeah, these cars just don’t have the low end torque. But E85 and a tune will wake it up a lot but it may not be enough for you if that’s your thing.

These cars make the power at high RPM. It’s just not that kind of car unless you add boost as stated before.

If you want better times N/A you want to maximize that high RPM power and go Cobra Jet. Full bolt on w/ the Cobra Jet would be pretty sweet.

The F150 will make a lot more down low, but falls off hard up top. By 6500 it’s done. You want to carry the power at high RPM and make it stay there. If you rev it out by the time you hit the next gear you will be in the meat of the powerband and your car will ultimately be faster. CJ, 18 manifold, GT350 manifold, maybe even a Boss intake are all better choices than the stock or F150 manifolds.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Swapping in the 15-17 MT82 would also make it feel quite a bit quicker. They made them much longer and wider spaced for 18...not really sure why.

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You want boost. Otherwise just get used to revving it out. It's a riot.
One of the many things I need to decide is whether I want a traditional blower (Vortech) or Whipple. But it’s def getting boosted.

I do love rapping it out all the way up to 7000ish. The car loves the top of 2nd and 3rd gears.

Does Tremec make a trans for these cars? If so how’s that shake out compared to the 15-17 MT-82?

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, these cars just don’t have the low end torque. But E85 and a tune will wake it up a lot but it may not be enough for you if that’s your thing.

These cars make the power at high RPM. It’s just not that kind of car unless you add boost as stated before.

If you want better times N/A you want to maximize that high RPM power and go Cobra Jet. Full bolt on w/ the Cobra Jet would be pretty sweet.

The F150 will make a lot more down low, but falls off hard up top. By 6500 it’s done. You want to carry the power at high RPM and make it stay there. If you rev it out by the time you hit the next gear you will be in the meat of the powerband and your car will ultimately be faster. CJ, 18 manifold, GT350 manifold, maybe even a Boss intake are all better choices than the stock or F150 manifolds.
Good stuff - thanks!

As much as I want more on the low end I don’t want to choke it off on the top end since the car is so good up there.

Are the 18’s much different than the 19 manifolds?

The GT350 may be the route I take.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
One of the many things I need to decide is whether I want a traditional blower (Vortech) or Whipple. But it’s def getting boosted.

I do love rapping it out all the way up to 7000ish. The car loves the top of 2nd and 3rd gears.

Does Tremec make a trans for these cars? If so how’s that shake out compared to the 15-17 MT-82?
Yeah but install isn't a peach, and the ratios aren't more favorable overall.

Revving to ~8000 is an entirely different experience (and really awesome). GT350, 2018 or CJ manifold ftw. I love the 18 manifold.

I've had some decent seat time in a '16 with a Whipple and if it's torque you want...
Too much at times. Stage 1 can't hook up on street tires till 4th (still easily spinning 3rd). But it's stupid fun.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Thanks, guys. The E85 intrigues me and I will definitely be reading up on it more. I know that with any tune it will void the warranty (that's what Ford said at least). So I was thinking I would wait a bit to get into the Lund/PBD tunes.

I'm definitely going FI in the future though. I can get the whipple through the dealership I bought it from and still have warranty - they're a Roush dealer.

How does the CJ intake compare to the F150?

I'm hoping to run 11's NA on this car before I start fooling with it.

Edit: I've mentioned before but this is my first foray into the Coyote motors. I know back in the 302 days in my foxes I would slap 4;10's, upper and lower intake, heads and cam and be good. This is a whole new beast for me.

It's fun learning about it!
There is really no such thing as "voiding" the warranty. They can deny a warranty claim, but some dealers are more mod friendly than others. With a manual, you aren't going to run 11s without performing mods that risk having issues with warranty claims. Even those dealer Roush SC installs can can cause you a headache when addressing failures at certain dealers.

If you are going FI in the future, or even considering E85, don't touch 4.10s. I am running E85 with a manual and 3.73s, and I often have trouble hooking in 1st.

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is really no such thing as "voiding" the warranty. They can deny a warranty claim, but some dealers are more mod friendly than others. With a manual, you aren't going to run 11s without performing mods that risk having issues with warranty claims. Even those dealer Roush SC installs can can cause you a headache when addressing failures at certain dealers.

If you are going FI in the future, or even considering E85, don't touch 4.10s. I am running E85 with a manual and 3.73s, and I often have trouble hooking in 1st.
True. The place I bought mine is a Roush dealer and they are mod friendly. The other dealer where I go for routine stuff on my truck told me they won't even touch the car if it has a tune on it or has shown that it was flashed back to a stock tune.

Yeah I am abandoning the 4:10 thoughts. That was my old fox body/SN-95 brain at work lol. I did have them on my 94GT with a Vortech and that thing screamed.

I'm guessing that I will have a blower on the 19 by springtime.

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah but install isn't a peach, and the ratios aren't more favorable overall.

Revving to ~8000 is an entirely different experience (and really awesome). GT350, 2018 or CJ manifold ftw. I love the 18 manifold.

I've had some decent seat time in a '16 with a Whipple and if it's torque you want...
Too much at times. Stage 1 can't hook up on street tires till 4th (still easily spinning 3rd). But it's stupid fun.
I think that I am going to focus first on stiffening up the suspension and reducing the hop as my first wave of mods. Do you still have the stock driveshaft on yours?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think that I am going to focus first on stiffening up the suspension and reducing the hop as my first wave of mods. Do you still have the stock driveshaft on yours?
Yes. Happy to help you with suspension setup choice when the time comes.
Sponsored