Sponsored

What are the best performance tires now?

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Ah, I guess we are looking at different sizes. Which one are you considering? Is it for track or road use?
For track per reviews from Tire Rack drivers. I have the standard Mustang GT pp staggered wheel/tire setup right now. Also seeing the Firehawk Indy 500's have great reviews for track and street.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Also seeing the Firehawk Indy 500's have great reviews for track and street.
The most underrated tire of the century. Simply put, they're awesome !

Sponsored

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
The most underrated tire of the century. Simply put, they're awesome !
ohhhhhh that sounds encouraging. Wonder if I should think Firehawk for track and SuperCar3's for street. fwiw my GT is not going to see snow except from up on a lift in the garage. Tracking and road trips during spring, summer and early fall only.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
ohhhhhh that sounds encouraging. Wonder if I should think Firehawk for track and SuperCar3's for street. fwiw my GT is not going to see snow except from up on a lift in the garage. Tracking and road trips during spring, summer and early fall only.
I think you got it backwards 😁. Indy's are awesome for street, still ok but not great for track. I have bought them in stock pp1 staggered wheels and tried for both street and track.

For track duty, you will most likely end up with 305 square setup, just like everyone else here. I have a set of RS-4's in 305/30/19 square config, and I can tell you that this is completely different league versus staggered 255/275 set of indy's. SuperCar 3's should be more comparable to RS-4, but again you want as much rubber as possible and 255's up front is just epic understeer show.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder if I should think Firehawk for track and SuperCar3's for street.
absolutely not. reverse your proposed use. The 500 is "good for the money" but IMO the Hankook RS4 is a better lapping tire than the 500.

First, get a square set of wheels even for street use. 275's on 9.5 is IMO the bare minimum for the Mustang. PS4S, Conti, Indy 500 etc. various all-seasons are just fine because you'd have to be a certifiable psycho to over drive those on public roads.

For track it should be 11 square or no less than 10.5/11 combo with at least 285 up front but really, if you're in any way serious it's time for 305.

Last edited:

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
I think you got it backwards 😁. Indy's are awesome for street, still ok but not great for track. I have bought them in stock pp1 staggered wheels and tried for both street and track.

For track duty, you will most likely end up with 305 square setup, just like everyone else here. I have a set of RS-4's in 305/30/19 square config, and I can tell you that this is completely different league versus staggered 255/275 set of indy's. SuperCar 3's should be more comparable to RS-4, but again you want as much rubber as possible and 255's up front is just epic understeer show.
hmmm okay, either one is going to be less coin that PS4's with no penalty on performance. Yeah I keep hearing about going square for track at least. I'm not a fan of tires sticking out from the fenders though. I can see (after taking the stock wheels off for brakes) that lighter wheels are in my future, oof!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
but IMO the Hankook RS4 is a better lapping tire than the 500.
Depends on the driver & track. While the firehawks are certainly not a 10/10 (I'd put squarely at 8/10). Plus they won't wear out after a couple sessions.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
hmmm okay, either one is going to be less coin that PS4's with no penalty on performance. Yeah I keep hearing about going square for track at least. I'm not a fan of tires sticking out from the fenders though. I can see (after taking the stock wheels off for brakes) that lighter wheels are in my future, oof!
Maybe go with 285/35/19 based setup if you really against small poke. For track, you certainly need to adjust camber, so poke becomes less of an issue.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Depends on the driver & track. While the firehawks are certainly not a 10/10 (I'd put squarely at 8/10). Plus they won't wear out after a couple sessions.
Same as RS-4's :). I do agree that indys are still fine and one could have a lot of fun with them at their limit.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Maybe go with 285/35/19 based setup if you really against small poke. For track, you certainly need to adjust camber, so poke becomes less of an issue.
Yes I have made contact with a few local members here and they're talking up camber plates already. I'm a Novice right now, though I did go solo on my second day. I'm not going to be going 9/10ths maybe even 8/10ths too soon yet. I do like that going with a square setup means I can rotate tires.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a fan of tires sticking out from the fenders though.
10" won't. 10.5 won't if you put the necessary camber on them to tuck and frankly require for tires to perform optimally at the track anyway.

At 11et24 yeah you're in poke territory but that's what GT350 style fenders or Mach1 fender lips are for. Or easier to just adopt an attitude of selective blindness.

If you want to go to the track, camber plates are not an option. Buy them, put >2.5deg of camber on them so you can enjoy your day instead of fighting the car, or burning rubber for no good reason.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
10" won't. 10.5 won't if you put the necessary camber on them to tuck and frankly require for tires to perform optimally at the track anyway.

At 11et24 yeah you're in poke territory but that's what GT350 style fenders or Mach1 fender lips are for. Or easier to just adopt an attitude of selective blindness.
I just ... can't unsee some things. LOL.
Sponsored