Sponsored

What are the best dust free brake pads for a GT Premium?

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
My 2020 car has the 2 cylinder (2 pot) brakes, normal brake configuration for the rear. I want the least amount possible. What say you?
Sponsored

OP
OP
20ducks

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. After looking at the specs, I'm going to buy the Z26 front & rear pads.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I don't think the dust is too bad from the stock pads. I do have my wheels ceramic coated and that makes washing easy.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The dust with the Brembo brakes is just insane. I'll have to replace the pads too. Will probably buy the Z23s, since they use the same compound as the Z26s, but are less prone to noise. Won't ever track the car, so no need for high performance pads.

Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
The dust with the Brembo brakes is just insane. I'll have to replace the pads too. Will probably buy the Z23s, since they use the same compound as the Z26s, but are less prone to noise. Won't ever track the car, so no need for high performance pads.
I put Z26's on my '16 w/PP and LOVE them, brake dust is virtually gone and no noise at all...highly recommended

OP
OP
20ducks

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ditto.....my Z23's arrive on Monday 8/10.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Are you getting a lot of dust with the "base" brakes?
My 2020 car has the 2 cylinder (2 pot) brakes, normal brake configuration for the rear. I want the least amount possible. What say you?

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Been very pleased with my Z26 pads on the front of my 18 GT PP1. Excellent bite, low dust, no noise and cheap too!!

OP
OP
20ducks

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No, not much. But with painted rims, I don't want to become at some point a slave to their appearance.

Sponsored

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
Installed Hawk Ceramic pads yesterday. They are both grippy and dust free(and silent). Happy with the result.
However they are a bit pricier than z26 pads

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Installed Hawk Ceramic pads yesterday. However they are a bit pricier than z26 pads
But which ones are better? I was about to buy the Z23s, but they can wait until tomorrow :). I've never heard of PowerStop, so that's why I want to make sure they're the best ceramic ones :).

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
They are well known, especially for their full upgrade brake kits.

What do you mean by "best"? Best at stopping the car? Best at keeping the dust down? Best at a compromise of both? Which are best at stopping the car....the Brembos.......but as you know, they are extremely dusty. It is going to be one of those were you are going to get the individual opinions of what everyone considers works best for them.

But which ones are better? I was about to buy the Z23s, but they can wait until tomorrow :). I've never heard of PowerStop, so that's why I want to make sure they're the best ceramic ones :).

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I said 'best ceramic ones' because they're already a compromise in stopping power compared to the stock sport pads. But I want the best possible ceramics, meaning best stopping power (for a ceramic), least dust, and least rotor wear. In that order :D. The good news is I find the initial bite of my Brembos a bit excessive, so a ceramic pad should bring it down to the perfect level. Even though I won't track the car, I still want it to brake well, since it's a performance car with performance brakes.

As a side note, I'm not completely sold on the PowerStop pads alone because they only advertise them as being great AS A SET, meaning with their own rotors. Couldn't find any recommendation on their site as just pad replacements. They might be hard on stock rotors, maybe. Just want to make sure they're the best ceramic option por PP1 Mustangs:). Thx.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
A lot of people over on the Corvette forum use them, as we have the same dusting problems as these cars.

Not that, that will answer your question.

The only true way to be sure, is ....... try different brands of ceramic pads and see which work for you, otherwise you have to take the word of people that have used this or that one.

Some choose to ceramic coat their wheels and keep their stock braking power...but at least then the brake dust washes off easily...of course that means they need to wash their wheels constantly. I've got the stock brakes on my Mustang and will most likely upgrade them for better stopping power, since I have a supercharger.

I said 'best ceramic ones' because they're already a compromise in stopping power compared to the stock sport pads. But I want the best possible ceramics, meaning best stopping power (for a ceramic), least dust, and least rotor wear. In that order :D. The good news is I find the initial bite of my Brembos a bit excessive, so a ceramic pad should bring it down to the perfect level. Even though I won't track the car, I still want it to brake well, since it's a performance car with performance brakes.

As a side note, I'm not completely sold on the PowerStop pads alone because they only advertise them as being great AS A SET, meaning with their own rotors. Couldn't find any recommendation on their site as just pad replacements. They might be hard on stock rotors, maybe. Just want to make sure they're the best ceramic option por PP1 Mustangs:). Thx.
Sponsored