Sponsored

what aftermarket shift light do you have?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I've hit rev limiter in my GT on several occasions and realize engine sound does not have any special "time to shift" signs\indications for me. In fact it feels like red line could be 500-1000 higher and the car would only bennefit from that.

I'd like a shift light that would not draw wrong attention, something compact. OBD 2 is probably the easdiest to install but I would not mind one that would be connected to speedometer in case install instructions would be avail for s550 specifically.

I've had a speedo connected shift light in my other car (installed myserlf) awhile ago and really enjoyed that setup. But googling on s550 shift lights brings next to nothing.

Anyone has something nice working in this department?
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I'm not aware of any, but then I haven't looked. Others may have.

When it comes to fing around with electronics on these cars, one should proceed with caution. What is your "other car" that you installed one on?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
When it comes to fing around with electronics on these cars, one should proceed with caution.
He's right, modern cars don't do things like they did even 10 years ago. The Mustang is very, very CANBUS controlled. For example, the interior lights aren't on a separate circuit like they used to be. Now the door switch/sensor provides a power signal to the BCM and it decides if it's ok to light up.
Heck there may not even be a discrete speedo signal.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

GT-DM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Redd
Vehicle(s)
GT500 & other heaps
Never installed an aftermarket shift light into a factory s550 harness arrangement, so I cannot advise you on that.

Holley (owns Racepak now) started using/invented there own Canbus language, as I understand it. Racepak uses there own as well.
I do not know the details of either's Canbus tech.

That said, MSD, (owned by Holley now also) always had a good working relationship w/FoMoCo racing & perf. Maybe some similarities between the factory stuff aftermarket..??

If you can actually get anyone from engineering on the ph line these days from any of these programs,

(u -ALWAYS- could get engineers at MSD & at Racepak on ph, but Holley was often horrible w/live service, & they own everyone, now)

such as at Holley, the right person may be able to advise you on Obd2 links between there equipment & integration into S550.

You can also try search online for:

'VBOX Motorsport S550 Canbus'
or search for their other parent-
'Racelogic' ,
who builds the Vbox related items for s550 Mustang if I recall correctly, & I may not.. 😆

Holley is trying to figure out the EV performance market segment for future growth I'm told, by its CEO, & had a SPAC setup, to go public. They need technical ideas. How many speed controls do Teslas need?

If S550 owners would ask/harass manufacturers like Holley, for the stuff needed most, from
'shift lights' to
'timing map based' traction control help,
like the MSD Grid , probably easily integrated into our S550s...
They could stay alive financially in this EV future, as a bridge, selling S550 & s650, & Stellantis peeps the stuff they can already build for other situations in racing.

That sort of communication, has often gotta come by way of attending PRI, & sometimes SEMA..

SEMA is more show & less go than PRI

Gotta chew on there ear at the booths for hours or more w/your needs.

Enthusiasts (like yourself) are the ones who often got the ball rolling on new development ideas. Holley isn't that hungry anymore, yet the companies they swallowed up over past decade, were built on the needs of individuals, just like yourself.

Call & ask. All they can say is 👎.
Enough people keep asking, & they will see opportunity.

In the late 80s, we were taking 5 RPM activated MSD boxes, & tying them into multiple Timing Retard boxes, to build, what later became the MSD Grid. It took the engineering team to see us daisy chaining a bunch of there stuff together, to realize they could just build it in 1 unit. We were nobody, but we had a need, & built a solution at the time.

We all need to ask for Canbus Timing map based traction control in this community. It's not near as expensive as Motec, as you can buy it right now for your BBC, or Nitro Billet Hemi, for under $500, from MSD.

That tech already exists. Just need it implemented into our Dyno plug under the hood, after drawning the map on a laptop.

I'm sure Ray Fresca is long gone at MSD, but he would have been my 1st POC, bk when I was in the thick of it. There's ya a name to start with though, on your shift light issue.

& always...always ask whomever says they cannot help you, what persons names they can provide, who might know something.

U have no idea how many times the person on other end of ph was gonna hang up, just before we asked for anyone's name who they know of, who might be able to help us..
Many times we ended up w/the name of a person who infact did know. Everyone is only 7 degrees of people away, from knowing anyone on the planet. Our connections are everything. I had them all at 1 point. Now they are all retired, or dirt nappin, unfortunately.

End every dead end conversation when hunting down technology w/.
"Know anyone who might know what I'm askin ya about??".
So simple, most don't even bother askin it.
Before you can ask half dozen people the same question, you will likely have an answer or the right name. Just not likely here on this forum. Go to the manufacturers on this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
What is your "other car" that you installed one on?
that was 2001 honda prelude. you'd have to pull out the behind the steering wheel panel board and connect wires to particular speedometer wires according to diy. that was it.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
We offer the Holley Sniper Standalone OBDII Shift lights these are all in stock

HOLLEY SNIPER STANDALONE CAN SHIFT LIGHT 840002-1
https://www.beefcakeracing.com/sniper-840002-1/

HOLLEY SNIPER STANDALONE CAN SHIFT LIGHT 840003-1
https://www.beefcakeracing.com/sniper-840003-1/

HOLLEY SNIPER STANDALONE CAN SHIFT LIGHT 840001-1
https://www.beefcakeracing.com/sniper-840001-1/
yes. these are the only ones I found on the internet. frankly, for less than you sell yours.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Heck there may not even be a discrete speedo signal.
you might be right.

engine rpm values are passed through obd2 though. so any obd2 shift light should work. I'm just surprised I could only find one for a reasonable price.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
There are aftermarket steering wheels with incorporated shift lights, Formula 1 style. They look pretty cool.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
There are aftermarket steering wheels with incorporated shift lights, Formula 1 style. They look pretty cool.
yes, saw those, but it'd be nice to be able to see the shift light regardless of steering wheel position.
Sponsored