What’s Leather? GT Premium 2021 California Special

mpelon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT California Special
Does anyone know what is leather and what is fake leather in a GT Premium? I heard the back seats were fake leather but I can’t tell. Also are the dash humps leather? How about the knee airbags covers? I know the front seats, steering wheel, and shift knob are but I am lousy at telling the difference and I don’t want to use the wrong protectant on each thing. Would hate to ruin my leather. Looked all over to see where it says but can’t find it. Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It's all fake.

"Genuine leather" (and that's a legal definition) doesn't mean real leather. It's all synthetic. Real leather wouldn't look or act like people really want.

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
Probably, the steering wheel, shifter and seats where your body touches.

Most new cars today use "coated leather". It's real leather that sometimes has the grain embossed and is then painted/coated. You can't really treat this type of leather, as you can't get past the paint/dye. You're only dressing the surface.

Some vehicles still have more traditional leather, like the King Ranch trucks. If you put a drop of water on real leather, it absorbs in.

P2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red Mustang GT Premium
The panels between the bolsters where your butt sits and your back rests are leather, so is the steering wheel. The rest is fake leather.

Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
The seats are not real leather and the legal definition in this country doesn't mean anything anymore. The seats in my 15 year old Honda with double the mileage look brand new. These are not even 8 years old with 50k on them
PXL_20230622_202008957.MP.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
mpelon

mpelon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT California Special
The seats are not real leather and the legal definition in this country doesn't mean anything anymore. The seats in my 15 year old Honda with double the mileage look brand new. These are not even 8 years old with 50k on them
PXL_20230622_202008957.MP.jpg
Wow! That’s a shame. So I finally found where it officially says.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...uct/2021/mustang/2021-Mustang-Order-Guide.pdf

So its the fronts only seats trim (cali special has the Ford version of “alcantara” inserts inside the leather bolsters tops and bottoms), the steering wheel, and the shift knob. All else is fake. Now to Tang’s point, it is leather by name only. So i think it might just be a matter of a technicality because it came form a certain animal, doesn’t mean it is quality leather. Kinda like beef hot dogs not being as quality beef as a sirloin burger, lol.

IMG_7955.jpeg

IMG_7956.jpeg

IMG_7957.jpeg

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Wow! That’s a shame. So I finally found where it officially says.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2021/mustang/2021-Mustang-Order-Guide.pdf

So its the fronts only seats trim (cali special has the Ford version of “alcantara” inserts inside the leather bolsters tops and bottoms), the steering wheel, and the shift knob. All else is fake. Now to Tang’s point, it is leather by name only. So i think it might just be a matter of a technicality because it came form a certain animal, doesn’t mean it is quality leather. Kinda like beef hot dogs not being as quality beef as a sirloin burger, lol.

IMG_7955.jpeg

IMG_7956.jpeg

IMG_7957.jpeg
"Leather" doesn't mean real leather. It's a synthetic.

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
Does anyone know what is leather and what is fake leather in a GT Premium? I heard the back seats were fake leather but I can’t tell. Also are the dash humps leather? How about the knee airbags covers? I know the front seats, steering wheel, and shift knob are but I am lousy at telling the difference and I don’t want to use the wrong protectant on each thing. Would hate to ruin my leather. Looked all over to see where it says but can’t find it. Any help would be appreciated!
Even the bits that might have some dead animal skin are coated with a sealant.
I would not use anything that is for treating real leather (e.g Lexol), unless is is specifically for 'leather' in an automotive application.

Here is a good summary from a forum resource on detailing:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/cleaning-and-protecting-automotive-leather.187950/

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much no one (Big Manufacturers) want to deal with the "Stigma" of using animal parts in the States. They may get "Canceled".

🤷‍♂️

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I go into this in more detail here -
(1) Cleaning and Protecting Automotive Leather | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

The summary of what is considered "leather" or vinyl is roughly the same for all vehicles on the road.

Basically, the bits you touch are a form of polyurethane coated leather, which is also called PU leather or split grain leather. This is done for a reason; natural grain leather is not well suited to automotive applications and lacks suitable durability. It's also much harder to maintain and keep soft. The seat base, backrest, steering wheel and gear shifter and e-brake are typically finished in this type of "leather".

leather101.jpg

The vinyl sections are typically on high wear areas such as the seat bolsters and shifter boots, as well as less visible areas like the seat backs and sides, and in the Mustang's case, the rear seats. Door trims and center console lids are typically vinyl as well.

art-Ificial102.jpg

art-Ificial101.jpg

This concept applies to luxury brands as well...........................

IMG-0330.jpg

IMG-0333.jpg

None of that is a criticism of Mustang's or Fords, but a reality of automotive "leather" used in cars for durability, practicality and cost containment.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
"Leather" doesn't mean real leather. It's a synthetic.
Oh, cut the crap already. Stop posting BS. There is a difference between the leather you get in clothing or furniture but automotive ”leather” is still leather.

OP, please disregard this member posts as he rarely has anything of relevance to say. DB ( @DFB5.0 ) is our resident detailing expert. Just read his posts and follow his advice.
Sponsored