Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang (DIB 2.3T w/ Ceramic Int.)
Ever since I have owned my car, I have noticed a weird phenomenon. Whenever I use my wiper fluid I can smell it very noticeably inside my car. Does this happen to anyone else?

I cannot think of any other car I have ever owned where you can easily smell the wiper fluid when it is being used. At first I thought the dealership used some particularly pungent fluid, but then I replaced it with fluid I've used before. In both cases I smell the wiper fluid very distinctly in the cabin.

Part of me wonders if it has to do with the intake into the AC. I have not noticed any leaks in my windows. Any ideas what would cause this?
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Fresh air vents for the a/c bring in air from near the cowl. Unless on recirculate the a/c will pull in any smells from that area.

OP
OP
Allerick

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Fresh air vents for the a/c bring in air from near the cowl. Unless on recirculate the a/c will pull in any smells from that area.
I figured it had to be tied to the AC. Thanks for confirming. Have you noticed this on other cars? I've never had this happen before.

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
It's funny you mention this. I had the exact problem on my Focus RS. Every time I used the washer fluid I could smell it. But it's just as the other guy said. The vents for the HVAC system are right there to bring in that smell.

OP
OP
Allerick

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Must be a more modern Ford thing. I had an 07 F-150, and I don't ever remember this happening.

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I used to love the washer fluid that GM dealerships used (early 2000's)-smelled like sunscreen ;)

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
Yes this has happened to me on various cars before, nothing to worry about has a lot todo with the concentration of the windscreen mix.
Sponsored