2020 10 speed auto shifting weird, also burning smell

CaptainRye

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
EDIT: I just went for another drive and it did much better. I put the ATF fluid gauge on the screen and it was at 210F at the end of my drive. Wondering why the issue would go away and if it's still worth getting looked at.

My Mustang GT has 1,400 miles. The transmission has been without issue until now. Today it seemed hesitant to downshift. I was approaching a red light about to turn green and I shifted into first with the paddles, as I've done a few times before, and instead of shooting off like a rocket, it felt like it never really went into first and my RPMs shot up almost to redline. I let off the gas and when it finally got into first, it just felt like I braked hard.

But before that, on the same drive, it also felt like it took longer than usual to downshift to a variety of different gears. I thought maybe the engine wasn't warm yet, but the issue never went away.

When I was reversing from drive to back into a parking space, there was a big jerk! Usually there's a small jerk or none at all.

When I got out, I noticed a faint burning smell. I've worked on automatic transmissions before and that's what the smell reminded me of. Hot tranny fluid.

Obviously I should go to the dealer, but have you guys seen this before? What's the fix like?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
No way for me to know obviously but sure sounds like my old car that would leak fluid, when it's low it becomes hard to change gears. I would assume the burning smell is the fluid leaking out and cooking on something under the car.

Not sure why it would get better though. But if everything's fine now it might be hard for a shop to diagnose, just wait and see if it happens again.

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I went through a kind of saga with this.

This thread may also be of use: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

A flash of your 10r80 with latest strategies should take care of any weirdness from D to P, P to R, etc. Supposedly trans fluid was checked when this happened, mine was assessed as full, although some on the forums have said low fluid was the issue.

I get hard shifts in low gears after a cold start, or just coming off being idle for a while. Still not sure what it is.

I also had some hesitation which seems to better after replacing a spark plug. (I was getting misfire codes.)

It's also an adaptive learning transmission; so it could be learning wrong if you've been driving differently. (I for one have a lot less highway time since covid here in california.)

Also as tires wear down I'd assume your traction control (and your torque manager) will kick in more often, although with only 1400mi I doubt it.

I'd bring it to the dealer for the reflash and see if it fixes it. If not you can get the fluid checked (although they likely do this with any trans diagnostic.) If it's any deeper it may be difficult to diagnose without a code, as the 10r80 isn't honestly all that smooth to begin with.

Btw I have also had a burning smell, have yet to get a diagnosis other than it's normal or parts are breaking in.

OP
OP
CaptainRye

CaptainRye

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Thanks guys for replying. The transmission hasn't acted up again, so I decided against taking it into the dealer because I heard they'll drive it around and say they're unable to reproduce and do nothing about it lol.

Maybe the learning system reset after the break in period. Who knows? lol

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Thanks guys for replying. The transmission hasn't acted up again, so I decided against taking it into the dealer because I heard they'll drive it around and say they're unable to reproduce and do nothing about it lol.

Maybe the learning system reset after the break in period. Who knows? lol
I had alot of weird things happen with my 10r80 and all of it was in drag mode...Im talking dangerous downshifts that locked up my rear wheels in traffic.
Sponsored