Weird question, I guess.

Gdyup50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Hi, I bought my car a few months ago and have been trying to get it tuned since I got it. I've gone through a company that got lots of good reviews in the Mustang threads I'm in on FB and am having an issue. I've gotten 3 revisions to the base tune and my car goes from 1st to 5th or 6th gear before I get to 40 mph, and never over 2k rpms. The tuner is telling me that my logs look good, and that my shift points are 15% higher than recommended so he sees no issue. Basically, im constantly in 5th or 6th gear, even doing 35 on my local roads. When I downshift to 3rd or 4th, it just shifts back up so I never have any power unless I'm already doing 80 on the freeway. Is there a mechanical issue that could be causing this, or is this 100% the tune? Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
10r80 or 6r80? Sounds about right thou… if you want it to be in a certain gear put the shifter in sport mode and paddle shift it yourself. Normal drive will always put it back in the gear it feels it should be in after a few seconds if you gear down and don’t accelerate .

OP
OP
Gdyup50

Gdyup50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
10r80 or 6r80? Sounds about right thou… if you want it to be in a certain gear put the shifter in sport mode and paddle shift it yourself. Normal drive will always put it back in the gear it feels it should be in after a few seconds if you gear down and don’t accelerate .
It's auto 6 speed, never driven a car that is consta tly in 5th or 6th gear when doing 35...my 2015 didn't do that

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
It's auto 6 speed, never driven a car that is consta tly in 5th or 6th gear when doing 35...my 2015 didn't do that
If your 2015 was a GT with a 6R80 should have done the same thing in normal drive mode. Your tuner probably raised shift points at 50+% throttle angle, not cruising.

I only use normal drive if traveling at continuous speeds over 55mph for minutes+ at a time.....

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Sounds like you are in normal mode? If you have drive modes definitely switch to sport + or track as normal should really only be used if getting car up to temperature or on long drives. If your car is not equipped with drive modes then definitely switch to paddle shifting (sport) and it should be much more fun and you can stay in gear through the rpm you want.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Does your car have sport mode? Make sure you are specifying part throttle shifting when discussing this with your tuner, he may think you are referring to WOT which he may have already raised.
If you don't have sport mode, ask your tuner to apply 'sport mode' type part throttle shift patterns to your tune and you should get what you are after.

OP
OP
Gdyup50

Gdyup50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Does your car have sport mode? Make sure you are specifying part throttle shifting when discussing this with your tuner, he may think you are referring to WOT which he may have already raised.
If you don't have sport mode, ask your tuner to apply 'sport mode' type part throttle shift patterns to your tune and you should get what you are after.
Ya, I generally drive in regular mode, never thought about the tune acting differently based on mode. Thanks for the input.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Its not the tune acting differently, as much as it is the vehicle itself. Sport mode generally holds gears a bit longer, increases throttle sensitivity, and changes some shifting and lockup characteristics. Also affects the shocks on mag ride vehicles, etc.

As mentioned, in normal mode, even in a Mustang GT, the cal will attempt to be in the highest gear possible at all times. The A10 is in 9th gear by 40 MPH if cruising around in normal Drive.

You can have your tuner make normal mode behave like sport if thats what you prefer.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
My A10 definitely will be in 10th gear if I'm cruising in town at 40mph+ I've seen it shift into 10th as low as 38mph. The only time it is in a lower gear and I'm not forcing it by being in sport mode with the shifter is if I'm in sport+/track/drag mode(actually I think drag mode functions closely with normal except how the car actually shifts). Track and sport+ hang onto gears or usually will stay in between 6-7th gear if I'm cruising at the same speeds as if I'm in normal/drag.

I know I'm kind've comparing the A10 to your 6R80 but the drive mode will most certainly affect how the transmission shifts and what gear it likes to be in, the tune will not do this for you.
Sponsored