Weird miss match door color on 2015 mustang gt

jp1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
Hey, I have a 2015 mustang gt painted deep impact blue, the car looks great besides one very weird flaw, the driver door at a certain angle or in the light looks like a completely different shade of blue, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this
PXL_20231021_192534186.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

jp1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
Here's another picture at a different angle where the door looks like it matches perfectly
PXL_20231113_222443816.jpg

TrueBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.3L High Performance Package Fastback
I wonder if the door paint was repaired at the factory or if the vehicle had previous crash damage? Reminds me of how difficult it was to match the paint on our Pacifica after it got rear-ended last year. Fathom Blue Tri-Coat Metallic - absolutely stunning color; total bitch to match the pigment of the deep basecoat AND direction of the prismatic clear coat. Our shop repainted it twice because they weren’t happy with the results. We finally agreed it was “good enough” because that color was never going to match properly unless the entire vehicle was repainted.

Compare the rear bumper to the quarter panel…. looks like your door.
IMG_5451.jpeg

OP
OP

jp1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
I wonder if the door paint was repaired at the factory or if the vehicle had previous crash damage? Reminds me of how difficult it was to match the paint on our Pacifica after it got rear-ended last year. Fathom Blue Tri-Coat Metallic - absolutely stunning color; total bitch to match the pigment of the deep basecoat AND direction of the prismatic clear coat. Our shop repainted it twice because they weren’t happy with the results. We finally agreed it was “good enough” because that color was never going to match properly unless the entire vehicle was repainted.

Compare the rear bumper to the quarter panel…. looks like your door.
IMG_5451.jpeg
I think it would've had to of been at the factory, the only damage the car had on record was a very minor front end collision.

Johnny maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt fx4 4k lux 89 cougar xr7 5spd 84
Could be It's an optical illusion . The angle the rear quarter meets the door. Look how the paint changes color as you move back over the rear wheel and suddenly matches the door color by the gas door. Hit it with a bright led flash light and see what it does. I can't see someone deadshot painting just the door and not blend the fender and quarter on such a nice car.

Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Just because a repair isn’t reported, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. A lot can happen to a car in almost 10 years.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Looking at the rear end shot the door is definitely a different color than the front fender and 1/4 panel. The door is going to have to be resprayed and blended.

OP
OP

jp1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
Looking at the rear end shot the door is definitely a different color than the front fender and 1/4 panel. The door is going to have to be resprayed and blended.
Yeah, it's just odd it's only at that angle that it's a different color any other way you look at it it's spot on

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Yeah, it's just odd it's only at that angle that it's a different color any other way you look at it it's spot on
Well if it were mine I would go crazy knowing it did not match and I would bite the bullet and have it repaired properly. But if it doesn't matter that much just live with it. Good luck!

OP
OP

jp1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
Well if it were mine I would go crazy knowing it did not match and I would bite the bullet and have it repaired properly. But if it doesn't matter that much just live with it. Good luck!
I'll probably just learn to live with it, and just hope no one notices lol

Sponsored

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Having worked for a truck OEM where we painted components separately (hood vs. cab vs. sleeper) we had some colors that when applying paint using a from "left-and-right" on one component, and "up-and-down" on the next, you got different appearances, though using the same paint batch.

Furthermore, when you touched up paint (such as a door only), the flash time, cure method, temperature, and etc. using the supposed same formula produced different results, not only short term, but the longer the vehicle was out in the elements.

So unless you knew the history at the factory, it is hard to tell what the source of the issue was. Of course Ford is not going to tell you if they had to perform a touch up in the manufacturing plant.

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
It's an illusion. The color on most modern high metallic colors will literally change color depending on the angle and lighting conditions. You can re-paint it to match the one angle and then it won't match anywhere else.

Plastic bumper covers don't match metal fenders & quarter panels when they roll off the assembly line. This is because of the difference in materials and texture of the parts, not the paint. Some colors are worse than others.

I've been in the collision repair business for nearly 30 years.
Sponsored