Sponsored

Wax and Polish?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I wanted to put this specifically in the S550 section because I have read a few times that our paint is pretty thin compared to other manufacturers. I want to preserve my paint the best I can and if it lasts long enough, I'd repaint it.

I'm pretty good with washing and waxing. Learned from my father in law who details for a living. I kind of want to branch out into clay and polish, but I don't really know where to start.
Sponsored

TunedN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jet
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3L, 2013 Ford Focus SEL, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
What's your question? All I can recommend is the Chris Fix superclean your car video, then save up for ceramic clear coat. I've been thinking of doing that myself when I can afford it.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's your question? All I can recommend is the Chris Fix superclean your car video, then save up for ceramic clear coat. I've been thinking of doing that myself when I can afford it.
I should have added which products people like.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
jescar powerlock sealant
collinite 845 wax
nano skin autoscrub pads (replacement for clay bar works amazing)
Sonax Perfect finish 1 step compound/polish

Sponsored

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT WhippleCharged
I wanted to put this specifically in the S550 section because I have read a few times that our paint is pretty thin compared to other manufacturers. I want to preserve my paint the best I can and if it lasts long enough, I'd repaint it.

I'm pretty good with washing and waxing. Learned from my father in law who details for a living. I kind of want to branch out into clay and polish, but I don't really know where to start.
I've tested the paint on both the S550's I've had. Both had good mill thickness of the paint but one had much softer more temperamental paint to work with. From my work on these cars I wouldn't recommend doing polishing with a buffer unless you want to get quality pads and polishes. These paints can be more temperamental then other paints even other Ford paints. The fusion and escape I did both were far easier to work with. If you do go ahead with polishing I recommend sonax, jescar, meguiars m105/m205, rupes yellow pads and meguiars MF pads. Though best finish I got was with jescar compound and sonax perfect finish though they tend to be on the more expensive side. If not those the meguiars stuff is good. Stay away from chemical guys compound and polish it's honestly crap, best I ever used so far again is there jescar and sonax. Other than that using a polisher is easier enough just watch some YouTube vids and make sure to grab multiple pads. If you have any questions or anything feel free to reply to me in your thread or PM me. I'm always up for talking detailing!

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hand polished mine. Got the swirls out. I used California Gold Wax the next day and it looks pretty nice. I did keep it in the closed garage the whole time so I'm not that worried.

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT WhippleCharged
I hand polished mine. Got the swirls out. I used California Gold Wax the next day and it looks pretty nice. I did keep it in the closed garage the whole time so I'm not that worried.
God bless doing it by hand must have took forever

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
jescar powerlock sealant
collinite 845 wax
nano skin autoscrub pads (replacement for clay bar works amazing)
Sonax Perfect finish 1 step compound/polish
Same here except I use Meg's M105 for polish. Powerlock topped with 845 is a great combo, very durable, lasts for months.

Sponsored

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I use Griots correcting cream for heavy defect, and their polish for light ones. Going to try topping with Collinite 915 this go around

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Post the results please. I'd love to see it.
Sponsored