Sponsored

Water in trunk lip?

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I just washed my car and noticed some water/suds pooling in the trunk lip (right where it meets with plastic from top of the brake light assembly). Is there a drain hole under there? I couldn’t locate it after taking the top piece of plastic off. Seems just like the assembly light under it.

I’m not getting any water inside the trunk but I haven’t really looked into it. Maybe it was the pressure washer that pushed it into corners. I don’t really drive it in rain to tell.

9C783C5C-FCAE-45CE-AE6C-70F19FC240ED.jpeg
Sponsored

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Mine collects water there every time I wash it or it gets rained on. I usually just soak it up with a microfiber cloth. It probably drains/runs out while driving and only pools up while stationary. I hope!

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Mine collects water there every time I wash it or it gets rained on. I usually just soak it up with a microfiber cloth. It probably drains/runs out while driving and only pools up while stationary. I hope!
This^^^
If it sits outside it will collect small debris and leaves there as well. On my wife's Fusion I'm constantly cleaning crap out of there, it's pretty much the. same design.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Just dry that area out after a wash. Consider it door jamb 2.0 lol.

OP
OP

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Lol. Thanks guys. I only asked since I noticed my euro lights had some condesation. Figured it may be connected but doubt it.

Sponsored

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
I just washed my car and noticed some water/suds pooling in the trunk lip (right where it meets with plastic from top of the brake light assembly)
Same here.
I have no problem with it, since I always soak it up with a cloth after each washing.
But it looks like there is no drainage there. Will there be an ice piece formed in the winter?
I don't know, since my car is not driven after November 15th, when winter tires are obligatory.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Every time I wash the car I have to pop the trunk and mop up in there. Water collects more around the decklid and the rear accent panel than anywhere else on the car.

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
I only asked since I noticed my euro lights had some condensation.
I had the condensation in my (also euro) rear light, but it was not caused by the water caught in the trunk lip.
The light assembly surface had noticeable damage (not seen from this angle). It is marked with red arrows.
Check yours on the line of contact with rear deck lid.
After my warranty claim, Ford dealer replaced the light with new one without any questions asked.
2019_06_24_Condensation.jpg

TomOz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 Ruby Red, 5.0 / 10 speed
Mine also collects some water there when washing and I assume when raining.

When I was buying the car, I tested water flow in those areas with a bottle of water.
It certainly does flow to under the rear, but I suspect there is a lip of sorts where the water collects. I only noticed it when I started using microfibre cloths to dry the car, including the boot (trunk for you in the north).

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Condensation in a tail light is a damaged tail light.
No it isn't.

From the Ford manual:

'Exterior front lamps and rear lamps have vents to accommodate normal changes in air pressure.
Condensation can be a natural by-product of this design. When moist air enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that condensation can occur when the temperature is cold. When normal condensation occurs, a fine mist can form on the interior of the lens. The fine mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during normal operation.
Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours under dry weather conditions.
Examples of acceptable condensation are:
• The presence of a fine mist (no streaks, drip marks or large droplets).
• A fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.
Examples of unacceptable condensation are:
• A water puddle inside the lamp.
• Streaks, drip marks or large droplets present on the interior of the lens.
If you see any unacceptable condensation, have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer.'

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ahhh Yes... the old water in the deck lid thingy. So annoying. Same with under the hood.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
No it isn't.
I once got enough water to slosh around in a taillight (this was a Honda of some stripe) and understandably failed our state's safety inspection. I never could find out where it was coming in from, so a little judicious drill hole in the bottom was the solution for that one.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I once got enough water to slosh around in a taillight (this was a Honda of some stripe) and understandably failed our state's safety inspection. I never could find out where it was coming in from, so a little judicious drill hole in the bottom was the solution for that one.
I've done that to more than one light, usually a headlight. Works great, it even helps with condensation if there's not enough to slsh.o
Sponsored