Washing my Mustang

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
What's the deal with trying to dry off this car - there's water traps everywhere- especially the front but the sides and rear too. Even after driving it home it still leaks and drips.
This is the worst car I've ever had to deal with this.
Sorry for the venting.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What's the deal with trying to dry off this car - there's water traps everywhere- especially the front but the sides and rear too. Even after driving it home it still leaks and drips.
This is the worst car I've ever had to deal with this.
Sorry for the venting.
No need to vent, just get one of these. Really it works.

upload_2019-11-29_9-52-59.jpeg

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
It's because the deep crevices under the trunk lid holds a lot of water that comes out as soon as you attempt to drive the car. When you dry the car, you need to open the hood, the trunk, and both doors; towel dry those hidden areas before you drive it.

OP
OP
BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
What's a real concern is if there are these pockets holding water will this cause eventually rust?

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What's a real concern is if there are these pockets holding water will this cause eventually rust?
No. The water will come out, right on your freshly washed car. Get a vac and/or do what Bladerunner70 advised and you’ll be fine.

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Nice car design and looks good but the worst car I've ever had so far for washing and drying. Too many plastic add-ons; spoilers, rockers etc; creating cracks and crevasses that hold water. I dry the exterior then open the hood and water pours all over the fenders and headlights, LOL. The mirror cavity doesn't drain as well as my 05 did. Driving home from the wash and there's water splash every where. It's quick to wipe on a hot day but near freezing it takes awhile for evaporation to work. I don't worry about rust though, all the plastics are attached to painted steel or aluminum. My lime 05 would hide water spots pretty well but this 17's lightning blue paint is not so forgiving. Same goes for black rims.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Nice car design and looks good but the worst car I've ever had so far for washing and drying. Too many plastic add-ons; spoilers, rockers etc; creating cracks and crevasses that hold water. I dry the exterior then open the hood and water pours all over the fenders and headlights, LOL. The mirror cavity doesn't drain as well as my 05 did. Driving home from the wash and there's water splash every where. It's quick to wipe on a hot day but near freezing it takes awhile for evaporation to work. I don't worry about rust though, all the plastics are attached to painted steel or aluminum. My lime 05 would hide water spots pretty well but this 17's lightning blue paint is not so forgiving. Same goes for black rims.
2 tubes of caulk and you wont have to worry about those cracks

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I open the trunk, doors and hood after hand drying the car, hit the pooled water in those areas then leave all them open while I hit the wheels. Once done with the wheels I close and open everything again and dry any areas where water seeped out. I keep a towel in the trunk for anything that comes out later while driving.

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I too noticed that driving will not blow off water drops. It's like the car is so aero-slick the wind barely touches the hood, trunk and hip surfaces.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I drying towel for the wheels and 3 other for the car. I dry the wheels, then do the car. I then open the trunk and dry that. Then chase all the water that falls from the trunk being opened. Open the doors and hit the door and sill.

Those blaster things look interesting.

arw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
I drying towel for the wheels and 3 other for the car. I dry the wheels, then do the car. I then open the trunk and dry that. Then chase all the water that falls from the trunk being opened. Open the doors and hit the door and sill.

Those blaster things look interesting.
I wash just before Florida rain shower. Air dry with no mineral deposits.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I wash just before Florida rain shower. Air dry with no mineral deposits.
Lol. Truth.

But I love when it rains ON THE DRIVE BACK from washing the car.

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
But I love when it rains ON THE DRIVE BACK from washing the car.
I always say, if the area in which I live ever experiences a drought.., I'll just wash my Mustang every day. Drought over!
Sponsored