Sponsored

Was the A10 Transmission Fluid Recommendation Ever Changed?

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have a very early production A10 2018 Mustang GT and when I first got it, there was some major lurching and hard, delayed shifts. I found out that the transmission software was weird on the early cars and a new one was sent out to dealers, so I brought my car in and got it updated. The problem went away, well, until a few weeks ago. After using the paddle shifters for about 1 minute, my transmission again started hard shifting and sometimes audibly bonking during hard shifts, as well as a minor (almost tremor) vibration when changing between park, reverse, etc. I am bringing it in again to be looked at, but I also want to know if maybe the transmission fluid recommendation was ever changed by Ford (because I have some thought that I read that somewhere) since some early cars also had low transmission fluid which can also cause a rough transmission.

Also this morning I lightly tapped the brake but then got back on the gas (very lightly, residential area) which caused the car to shift hard into 5th with almost a cracking sound, and shifting back into 5th the rest of the day was hesitant and caused bucking. Not sure what's up with that, Ford.
Sponsored

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
I have a very early production A10 2018 Mustang GT and when I first got it, there was some major lurching and hard, delayed shifts. I found out that the transmission software was weird on the early cars and a new one was sent out to dealers, so I brought my car in and got it updated. The problem went away, well, until a few weeks ago. After using the paddle shifters for about 1 minute, my transmission again started hard shifting and sometimes audibly bonking during hard shifts, as well as a minor (almost tremor) vibration when changing between park, reverse, etc. I am bringing it in again to be looked at, but I also want to know if maybe the transmission fluid recommendation was ever changed by Ford (because I have some thought that I read that somewhere) since some early cars also had low transmission fluid which can also cause a rough transmission.

Also this morning I lightly tapped the brake but then got back on the gas (very lightly, residential area) which caused the car to shift hard into 5th with almost a cracking sound, and shifting back into 5th the rest of the day was hesitant and caused bucking. Not sure what's up with that, Ford.
AFIK Ford still recommends Mercon XT-12 ULV. There are some vendors that are offering kits with fluid & filter. Good luck with yours. I haven’t had an issue with mine since they did the update the day I bought it. 900whp, so I know it’s inevitable!!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Early 2018’s had a few 10R80 glitches that were easily remedied through Ford.

This thread below I had started contains all of the S550 10R80 TSB/SSM’s to date. There is a posted TSB (Post #3) regarding the correct trans fluid Service Centers should be using for the 10R80.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-a10-most-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/

There was another thread on this site as well, not sure if it’s in this sub-forum or another, but quite a few Members who had brought their 2018’s in for 10R80 warranty service or software updates were found to be low on fluid directly from the factory.

If the 10R80 is low on fluid, it could result in harsh shifts and worse case scenario resulting in a damaged valve body. If the valve body is bad, see post #6 in that above thread for the Ford TSB.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Early 2018’s had a few 10R80 glitches that were easily remedied through Ford.

This thread below I had started contains all of the S550 10R80 TSB/SSM’s to date. There is a posted TSB (Post #3) regarding the correct trans fluid Service Centers should be using for the 10R80.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-a10-most-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/

There was another thread on this site as well, not sure if it’s in this sub-forum or another, but quite a few Members who had brought their 2018’s in for 10R80 warranty service or software updates were found to be low on fluid directly from the factory.

If the 10R80 is low on fluid, it could result in harsh shifts and worse case scenario resulting in a damaged valve body. If the valve body is bad, see post #6 in that above thread for the Ford TSB.
Thanks for the update, I'll read through. I scheduled service (Which was very annoying because Gary Yeoman's only looks at trannies before 12 on Monday-Wednesday) and I'll see if anything is applicable and let the dealer know.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thanks for the update, I'll read through. I scheduled service (Which was very annoying because Gary Yeoman's only looks at trannies before 12 on Monday-Wednesday) and I'll see if anything is applicable and let the dealer know.

No problem. I may have neglected to answer your initial question in my response.

The 10R80 (A10) trans fluid recommendation and type has never been changed by Ford since it’s 2017 debut.

Per Ford:
Use only Motorcraft MERCON® ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-12-QULV (WSS-M2C949-A) or equivalent when servicing a 10R80 automatic transmission.

:thumbsup::beer:
Sponsored