Sponsored

A10 transmission fluid check frustration.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Ok, tried to check the fluid in my EcoBoost A10 today.
Please, for all that's holy, please tell me how you got the dipstick out.
I tried open and box wrench, I tried a socket - from above and below and couldn't get anything to seat. The only thing I got to go on it was a claw foot on a pivot head ratchet and I couldn't get enough leverage to turn it!
What's the trick or tool I need?
Sponsored

NC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing
Ok, tried to check the fluid in my EcoBoost A10 today.
Please, for all that's holy, please tell me how you got the dipstick out.
I tried open and box wrench, I tried a socket - from above and below and couldn't get anything to seat. The only thing I got to go on it was a claw foot on a pivot head ratchet and I couldn't get enough leverage to turn it!
What's the trick or tool I need?
You'll need some long insulated gloves and I believe a 19mm socket. It's a fun job, I've got the burn marks to prove it.

OP
OP
ORRadtech

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
You'll need some long insulated gloves and I believe a 19mm socket. It's a fun job, I've got the burn marks to prove it.
Reaching it isn't the problem. Getting a socket, wrench or anything on it with enough leverage is. There is heat shielding or something preventing me getting a socket or wrench into the head. And when I get something wiggled partway on there's no leverage to turn it...

NC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing
It'll come off, try a breaker bar or pipe, preferably when its cool to get it loose. Then snug it hand tight and go for a ride to get the temps up. Park it and remove it.

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
The ford shop manual includes a link to a video on how to do this. You have to link together several extensions with a swivel head and drop it down through the top of the engine bay. Just to the left of the passenger side back corner of the intake manifold is a gap that leads down to the trans dip stick bolt.

Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
This is the only way I could get mine loose. Took a universal socket and a universal adApter plus about 2’ of extensions to get to it from back of engine compartment. It was so tight I thought it was welded on at first. I added a quart, it was low.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Has anyone added a aftermarket dipstick tube to a 10R80 yet?