Sponsored

Waiting for my GT500...engine break in

Jostrom8021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500, Rapid Red Metallic, black stripes, Silver pin stripes, 2000 GT convertible
Hello to all of you. I am currently waiting for my GT500. Last week I was told that she was 'Scheduled' and supplied with a VIN. Man!! I am so pumped to get this. I have heard of a couple new GT500s that had engine problems from the get go. To avoid this, I'm looking for the proper break in practice. I'm not going to just jump in and leave tracks on the ground in the dealership parking lot.

Thank you for your advise and time.

Jostrom8021
2020 GT500
Rapid Red metallic, black stripes over the top, and rockers, standard interior seats, performance package.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
John: We share our choices in paint and stripe colors. :-)

As for break-in, you'll probably hear as many ideas as there are members. <smile>

So, all I can tell you is what I'm doing and have done.

Oil/filter change at 500 and 1000, then every 3K or six months. Odor meter is currently at 780.

IIR, there was only the one rod knock car and Ford replaced that motor.

ReliantG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
N/A
John: We share our choices in paint and stripe colors. :-)

As for break-in, you'll probably hear as many ideas as there are members. <smile>

Oil/filter change at 500 and 1000, then every 3K or six months. Odor meter is currently at 780.

IIR, there was only the one rod knock car and Ford replaced that motor.
why? The manual doesn’t say to do this and I’d think they know their engine?

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Geoff: Having had a career in aviation and dealt with "chip" lights on many occasions, my opinion is that a hundred bones every so often is cheap insurance. I want this girl's innards to last. :-)

Plus, at my age, I'm most definitely set in my ways. <grinning>

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Break-in is as wild a topic as oil choice, but I used to build engines on the side and break-ins for me are always the same....

Warm everything up and vary loads and throttle position frequently. Hilly, curvy roads are great so you can get on and off the throttle. No steady speed and RPM. I avoid WOT and redline for about the first 50 miles, then it's game on. You want your rings to seat as quickly as possible, and pussy footing it won't get it done. Change the oil whenever you want, but early won't hurt since oil is cheap. For me, engines with flat tappet cams and healthy valve springs get an oil dump at around 50 miles, but these new engines have neither so don't worry about that early a change, 500 would be more than early enough in my opinion.

Most important is that the drivetrain is fully up to operating temp before getting frisky.

Sponsored

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R

I'm with you KB. My GT500 went in yesterday for a 500 mile oil change and installation of the Air/Oil Separator, Front Splitter Wickers and Camber Adjustment Plates.

My flat tappet and roller engine builds usually start with high zinc and phosphorous Joe Gibbs Break-in Oil for 20 minutes, and then a dino oil change at 500 miles, 2000 and then +3000 thereafter. Rings should be fully seated at 8000-10,000 mile allowing me to consider changing to synthetic.

Now with the GT500, it has undoubtedly undergone initial break-in at the factory, so I will provide a synthetic oil change a 500, 2000 and then at factory recommendations thereafter, unless tracking.

I have found that keeping the early engine oil metallic shaving free extends the performance and life of the engine. Cheap insurance and peace of mind.

408-stroker-refresh6.jpg
408-stroker-refresh3.jpg

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Hello to all of you. I am currently waiting for my GT500. Last week I was told that she was 'Scheduled' and supplied with a VIN. Man!! I am so pumped to get this. I have heard of a couple new GT500s that had engine problems from the get go. To avoid this, I'm looking for the proper break in practice. I'm not going to just jump in and leave tracks on the ground in the dealership parking lot.

Jostrom8021
2020 GT500
Rapid Red metallic, black stripes over the top, and rockers, standard interior seats, performance package.

Hey John, glad to see you finally made it here....

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

Jostrom8021
2020 GT500

John,

You may want to read thru this thread...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2020-gt500s-scheduled-for-production-part-2.135031/

For tracking purposes.

OP
OP
Jostrom8021

Jostrom8021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500, Rapid Red Metallic, black stripes, Silver pin stripes, 2000 GT convertible

Sponsored

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. I'm waiting for the dealership to tell me when my order was placed. Than I can begin the track.

Your pic, Rock n Brew in Oviedo?

Jostrom

Yes sir, one of the many events we have done there.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
After 100 miles you can crank her open just read the manual but hell who does that lol. And can’t track her till after 1000 miles but yes you can open her up but not at extended periods of time. Mix her up and no hard braking and or hard launches but have fun and congrats,

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
You're a member of MFMC correct?
YES SIR.

Was a member for many years, then life got in the way and did not belong for a while. Came back last year as life got a bit easier.

OP
OP
Jostrom8021

Jostrom8021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Hey John, glad to see you finally made it here....
My 2000 is the Stormtrooper white GT convertible. Been a member of MFMC for approximately 5 years now.
Sponsored