Tired of waiting for the GT500

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The bore spacing on the modular V8's Ford lives by has limited growth since inception. Getting to 5.2L what with coating the bores was a major undertaking. What you see now is likely the largest you'll ever see from the series. Anything larger that could possibly ever make the production cut and you are looking at a new engine. With electrification and hybrid powerplants right around the corner for the Mustang, I doubt you'll see it.
Yep. What was discussed would definitely be a new engine (not in the cards for FoMoCo). The investment is just too large for the current state of the industry.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
As a traditional FPC, yes it is.

Did you know ford only removed about 5 pounds from the crank? They removed a lot more and has to put it back on to avoid total failure.

Do a quick google search and get the weight of the 458 crank.

The voodoo crank weighs 50 pounds.
That has more to do with the intake configuration and the firing order than the fact that it's 5.2 liters AFAIK.

Whatever the weight of the crank shaft, it's still a 5.2 liter FPC engine that revs to 8,250 and has very low maintenance costs and a long warranty.

Not sure why you are arguing the minutiae rather than just understanding my point: Ford could make a 7 liter DOHC V8 and stuff it in the Mustang if they wanted to.

And it would be awesome.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
That has more to do with the intake configuration and the firing order than the fact that it's 5.2 liters AFAIK.

Whatever the weight of the crank shaft, it's still a 5.2 liter FPC engine that revs to 8,250 and has very low maintenance costs and a long warranty.

Not sure why you are arguing the minutiae rather than just understanding my point: Ford could make a 7 liter DOHC V8 and stuff it in the Mustang if they wanted to.

And it would be awesome.
I get what you’re saying, I do. I’d love a big displacement engine too.

Maybe what I mean was, if you’re going to build a FPC, build it. Don’t have to come up with engineering solutions every which way to make it work.

I’d love if the voodoo didn’t vibrate as harshly as it does (secondary and tertiary frequencies we sometimes can’t feel). A GT350R with a smaller displacement, higher revving FPC could have weighed in under 3600 if they wanted to. Can you imagine a 9000rpm, 4.8L destroked voodoo making 530hp? In a car 50-100lbs lighter yet?

How lighter? Remove a good portion of the pulsation dampeners in the exhaust, go back to a single mass flywheel, and take another 10lbs off the crank. It would be phenomenal. Maybe they tried such a thing and failed, I truly don’t know that.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Maybe what I mean was, if you’re going to build a FPC, build it. Don’t have to come up with engineering solutions every which way to make it work.

I’d love if the voodoo didn’t vibrate as harshly as it does (secondary and tertiary frequencies we sometimes can’t feel). A GT350R with a smaller displacement, higher revving FPC could have weighed in under 3600 if they wanted to. Can you imagine a 9000rpm, 4.8L destroked voodoo making 530hp? In a car 50-100lbs lighter yet?

How lighter? Remove a good portion of the pulsation dampeners in the exhaust, go back to a single mass flywheel, and take another 10lbs off the crank. It would be phenomenal. Maybe they tried such a thing and failed, I truly don’t know that.
I like your thoughts. It would have been even better if they had done dual throttle bodies and a Ferrari firing order.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would like to hear more about the 7.3 liter OHV engine Loubif mentioned. Anyone else know anything about an OHV engine in Fords future ?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

The investment to make a less-square, more overbore engine wasn't in the cards. The modular platform wouldn't suit it. So no, they didn't try a 4.x liter engine. Did a lot of the engineers working on the voodoo wish they could have? Oh yes. I have a friend who saw the early exhaust manifolds shear off the engine on dyno and various other things.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I would like to hear more about the 7.3 liter OHV engine Loubif mentioned. Anyone else know anything about an OHV engine in Fords future ?
Codename Godzilla. V8 Replacement for the 6.8L V10 in HD trucks.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Codename Godzilla. V8 Replacement for the 6.8L V10 in HD trucks.
I always wonder why they haven't done a 4.0L Ecoboost for use in Superduty Trucks? the current 6.8 V-10 is 360 HP/460 LBft.

Now, of course the V6 Ecoboost does this easily. (Try selling a SuperDuty with a V6!)

But it seems like a no-brainer for them to go with a small V8 Ecoboost. It could easily put out 500HP and 600 LBft, while surely getting better mileage.

With different tunes/turbos/robustness, it could even deliver PowerStroke levels of torque and HP.

Please, someone tell me they're working on a V8-EB. Just tack on 2 more cylinders onto the 3.0L version!

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
The investment to make a less-square, more overbore engine wasn't in the cards. The modular platform wouldn't suit it. So no, they didn't try a 4.x liter engine. Did a lot of the engineers working on the voodoo wish they could have? Oh yes. I have a friend who saw the early exhaust manifolds shear off the engine on dyno and various other things.
Thanks for the info!

I’m honesty it should have been more oversquare, but I love what we got just the same. It’s THE reason I bought it.

Love my revs.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

Sponsored

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
ONE MONTH TO GO! To see it. Order it 2 months after that? See it in your driveway in June?

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Lol, easy guys. Take a cold shower.

Ford themselves said it won’t be available until fall. October deliveries for normal people.

Then production might stop because of winter and tires. People won’t realistically see any until spring 2020.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Lol, easy guys. Take a cold shower.

Ford themselves said it won’t be available until fall. October deliveries for normal people.

Then production might stop because of winter and tires. People won’t realistically see any until spring 2020.
Darkane - if you're right that's disappointing - come on Ford! The New ME Vette will debut, same with the Supra and I'm sure a new Charger/Challenger variant and you can't build a hopped up version of a car you're already making. (GT350 lineage leading to GT500)
Sponsored