Sponsored

Tired of waiting for the GT500

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'm holding out with some hope here. If Tremec doesn't fall further behind and the DCT line is up and running when scheduled and there isn't a labor squabble via the UAW, I can see fall deliveries. I just hope all the bugs have been worked out such that the early cars aren't somehow the ones to avoid down the road.
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Darkane - if you're right that's disappointing - come on Ford! The New ME Vette will debut, same with the Supra and I'm sure a new Charger/Challenger variant and you can't build a hopped up version of a car you're already making. (GT350 lineage leading to GT500)
No it won't Vette is delayed at least 6 months due to electrical Gremlins

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Darkane - if you're right that's disappointing - come on Ford! The New ME Vette will debut, same with the Supra and I'm sure a new Charger/Challenger variant and you can't build a hopped up version of a car you're already making. (GT350 lineage leading to GT500)
Yeah man. That’s what ford said, Fall season.

And of course production ceases with the Cup tires during winter as with the GT350. Unfortunate but 2020 is when we’ll really see it.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
No it won't Vette is delayed at least 6 months due to electrical Gremlins
No one knows at what point that’s from, could’ve been 3 months ago or now. All indications from people I’ve spoke with are still on track for 3rd/late 3rd quarter deliveries. I’m expecting the GT500 to be the same, unfortunately it’ll be at least 6 months later before I can find one at msrp!!

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Ford should be able to get at least three good months of production done by Fall of 2019. August, Sept, and OCT.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Is this tremec DCT used in anything else or is this gonna be the first? All i could find was something saying GM ordered like 30k units for the c8 vette...wonder if they will be same/similar tranny

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Is this tremec DCT used in anything else or is this gonna be the first? All i could find was something saying GM ordered like 30k units for the c8 vette...wonder if they will be same/similar tranny
Not sure if the planetary gear sets will be the same, but the corvette unit is a transaxle where the 500 (if true) will be a longitudinal orientation. Like normal.

So the units won’t be the same.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
DCT would mean no planetary gears[?]
Yeah I didn’t use the correct term. What I meant was the odd and even gear “sets” would be different.

Wouldn’t it still be considered planetary once the odd or even input shaft with gear engages to the drive gear? I’m not super familiar with transmission internals.

I know Honda has a dct with planetary gears. I was reading about it, maybe I got it wrong.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Yeah I didn’t use the correct term. What I meant was the odd and even gear “sets” would be different.

Wouldn’t it still be considered planetary once the odd or even input shaft with gear engages to the drive gear? I’m not super familiar with transmission internals.

I know Honda has a dct with planetary gears. I was reading about it, maybe I got it wrong.
No. There are layshaft transmissions (MTs, DCTs, older Saturn and Honda ATs) and planetary transmissions (most ATs except the ones I mentioned earlier).

Honda’s DCT is layshaft. The whole definition of DCT is having one clutch on the “odd” gear shaft and one clutch on the “even” gear shaft. That alone precludes it from being planetary. I can’t remember if it is one of the few DCTs that also has a torque converter. Honda also recently introduced a 10AT that is, unlike their prior transmissions, a planetary instead of a layshaft design. That may be what you recently read.

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Or slap a whipple on a 5.0 yourself and save $60K for what is essentially a wide-bodied whippled 5.0.
True but since he's talking like he had cash to throw around on a GT500 I figured buying a Super Snake was up his alley.
Sponsored