Sponsored

VOODOO side effect?

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Let's say your in fifth and doing 120/130 when I get off the throttle you would expect a fair amount of engine braking? Mine just seems to float, speed hardly falls off. Now if in fourth I get decent engine breaking. Is this caused by the FPC low mass or some computer algorithm?
Sponsored

KS10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350R
Maybe because 5th gear is 1:1 ratio instead of underdriven like the lower gears. Just a guess?

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe because 5th gear is 1:1 ratio instead of underdriven like the lower gears. Just a guess?
Exactly, just gearing. But you should not be using your engine to brake, that's why we have those big brembos :)

I know a guy who bent a valve changing to second from 5th at 100 mph. Engine caput.

It was by mistake but that's what engine braking does (ok, that was extreme, but just sayin).

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Let's say your in fifth and doing 120/130 when I get off the throttle you would expect a fair amount of engine braking? Mine just seems to float, speed hardly falls off. Now if in fourth I get decent engine breaking. Is this caused by the FPC low mass or some computer algorithm?
Computer algorithm that doesn't close the throttle completely. Engine braking doesn't help fuel economy. It also makes a car with lots of power and torque difficult to drive smoothly at times.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Drive at that speed relatively often. Not a lot of engine braking in 5th; you get some, but nothing unusual, especially if you take your foot all the way off the accelerator. May have a video--will dig.

Sponsored

OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Computer algorithm that doesn't close the throttle completely. Engine braking doesn't help fuel economy. It also makes a car with lots of power and torque difficult to drive smoothly at times.
That's it! Can custom tune remove it?

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It certainly does help with fuel economy because the car enters DFCO.

OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drive at that speed relatively often. Not a lot of engine braking in 5th; you get some, but nothing unusual, especially if you take your foot all the way off the accelerator. May have a video--will dig.
just about every time I take her out, I'm always on the search for nice country back road lots up ahead view and long fence lines. Living in the country helps but poor road conditions is biggest problem. Many of roads have divits. Comes from when two lane roads were widened, poor foundation lets outside edges settle unevenly. Anything over 110 throws you around violently in car. Suspension handles it ok, but I don't. Most times I drive down middle of the road. Especially at night, armadillos, possum, turtles, gators, deer, coons are biggest hazard. Even had vulture shit on me one evening as he was straining to get some altitude!

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
I know a guy who bent a valve changing to second from 5th at 100 mph. Engine caput.

It was by mistake but that's what engine braking does (ok, that was extreme, but just sayin).
Thats not close to the same thing. Engine braking and a mechanical overrev are completely different things. Engine braking has no side effects whereas the other can destroy your engine.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Exactly, just gearing. But you should not be using your engine to brake, that's why we have those big brembos :)

This may be the single most ignorant post I've read as of late.

The entire concept of heel/toe downshifting is to make engine brake into corners as seamless as possible. You dont coast every time you slow the car.. just because you "know a guy" who can't drive doesn't mean using the engine for braking is not good. Hell the boss track key adjusts for more engine braking. Oems actually use the engine for braking in pickups, semi trucks have engine brakes that's increase the amount of engine braking.. f1 teams can adjust on the fly how much engine braking their cars have etc.

Sponsored
OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
back to question why does the PCM hang the throttle?

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
back to question why does the PCM hang the throttle?
The question was answered by Hack already.

The pcm also attempts to hold throttle between some gear changes at lower engine speeds as well.

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Higher gears less engine braking duh.