Sponsored

Velossa Tech BIG MOUTH for 2018+ Mustangs?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Hopefully these will be available before the 3 year anniversary of the start of production of the 2018 Mustang.
Sponsored

Mad Horse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2018 Explorer Sport, 2013 Fusion
Does anyone know if these allow rain water to get into the air box?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Does anyone know if these allow rain water to get into the air box?
In that context, it's not really much different vs. the OEM setup:

VT_DUCT >> OEM_INTAKE_SNORKLE >> OEM_AIRBOX >> OEM_AIRTUBE

I never had an issue with them on my '16, and my OEM grill had the mesh completely removed __and__ I'm in Florida, where I've driven through some typhoons :D

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Here's an old big mouth on my 2020 :

IMG-2086.jpg

I know people said it fits (and it does), but you can see why the new design has been tweaked a little ...

WD :like:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

IMG-2086.jpg

I know people said it fits (and it does), but you can see why the new design has been tweaked a little ...

Oh yeah, that's awesome visual clarification, and yep, it certainly looks like the outer corner in the 3D models is redesigned to account for the slight change in the shape of the MY18+ grill.

Sponsored

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple

IMG-2086.jpg

And how was the performance upgrade?

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2

IMG-2086.jpg

Did you paint that to match the car or is that a color they offer? I want to paint mine to match ruby red but not sure how it will hold up on plastic.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Did you paint that to match the car or is that a color they offer? I want to paint mine to match ruby red but not sure how it will hold up on plastic.
Painted - the car was having some bodywork done so I took the opportunity to open up the grill and add the big mouth :like:

WD:like:

OP
OP
VelossaTech

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.velossatechdesign.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Hey all, yes we redesigned this thing to fit the MY18 grille pointyness. It is tailored for this grille.

The driver side fits perfect and looks menacing, still working on the passenger side. Almost done!
IMG_20200922_WA0015.jpg

IMG_20200922_WA0012.jpg

IMG_20200922_WA0013.jpg

IMG_20200922_WA0010.jpg

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hey all, yes we redesigned this thing to fit the MY18 grille pointyness. It is tailored for this grille.

The driver side fits perfect and looks menacing, still working on the passenger side. Almost done!
Yeah man, that's awesome. Can't wait to see them with the corners opened up - and hey, those are even in the right color :D

Any plans for the Bullitt?
I guess the [slight] problem, is the corners of the grill go into the duct and sort of lock it into place, since they're separated from the center section at the "fang". Since the Bullit grill is one continuous section, the duct would have to sort of be notched and it would have an exposed front edge (vs. being inside the grill so to speak).

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
Is there substantial volume flow over the stock intake?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Since my Cervinni's grille is already mesh in that area, with airflow going straight into the airbox, I assume this is mostly cosmetic.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Read back to the start of the thread
Since my Cervinni's grille is already mesh in that area, with airflow going straight into the airbox, I assume this is mostly cosmetic.
Hello. The 15-17 big mouth drivers side only does fit the 18s but the passenger side takes a bit of ingenuity to get it to fit. A lot of people with 18s have fit the 15-17 kits but I would rather do it the right way and have a kit designed specifically for the 18s. I cant say how different they will be, the 18s kit might be nearly the same as the 17s kit with only minor changes (we still havent had an 18 come in here yet for 3D scanning of the structure), or the kits may be vastly different, I just dont know yet. As for the turbulence, you never want turbulence. Turbulence in a flow path is always to be avoided when trying to keep total pressure high which is what we are trying to do. Total pressure = static pressure (pressure at rest) + dynamic pressure (airflow moving at velocity). When you add turbulence, you reduce the momentum energy of the flow path because the turbulence removes some of the available kinetic energy from the flow path and this is dynamic pressure robbing. I am not sure what Fords intent was but it couldnt have been in this specific area of question, this type of ducting is seen usually, in supercars and hypercars where inlets are to be as smooth and short as possible. Having turbulence is usually only beneficial when mixing of two fluids is a higher priority than pressure drop. Oops forgot to add, what I had mentioned is not to be confused with laminar flow vs turbulent flow. When I saw turbulence, I mean macro turbulence, not turbulent flow. All flow in for a car engine is turbulent flow (this is when Reynolds number is greater than 4000). Macro turbulence are things like flow separation in a flow path where there are step changes (step up or step down), stagnation zones (direction change too high) or eddys (as a result of steps in a flow path), those are what I refer to as 'turbulence'.

I hope this helps.
From earlier in the thread.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.