Valves in active exhaust rattling?

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi guys, Just put a mac cat delete on my 18 with active exhaust. In normal mode I can hear the drivers side valve slapping around. Makes the exhaust note horrible. Doesn't do it as bad in sport and not at all in track. So 2 questions; 1) Anyone else experience this after going catless? 2) are the valves adjustable, meaning can I tighten them? thanks
Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
There was a thread about this. I think the added pressure from removing the cats causes the rattle. I don't think anyone found a solution in the previous thread about it.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
yes i had this on my 18, after i supercharged it the valve actually broke. can either leave cats in, get aftermarket active $$ or remove the active.

Nonsequitur

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Euro Spec - 2014 Focus ST with EFR7163
Mine rattles at idle after I installed the H-pipe. Don't know if there is a way to tighten the valves to prevent the rattle.

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
any fixes to this mine is stock with just over 1k miles on it and the drivers side dose this on start up. I would rather fix on my own as I have zero faith in dealers and my car will never see one again

Sponsored

OP
OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
any fixes to this mine is stock with just over 1k miles on it and the drivers side dose this on start up. I would rather fix on my own as I have zero faith in dealers and my car will never see one again
+1 on dealers. I looked at mine and there is no way to tighten it that I could see. My guess is the whole muffler needs to be replaced.

nmarz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Mine was rattling for a while. Took it to the dealer and they wanted to replace the Left Muffler. It was back-ordered and I got impatient so I started looking into it myself. Seems the Spring for the active exhaust can weaken and allow the valve to rattle. I pulled my actuators off and lengthened the spring with some pliers. The noise has diminished about 80% when cold and almost 100% when fully warm. I've been meaning to get brand new replacement springs but haven't yet. Anyone know the Ford part number by chance?

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Audi RS3 also have this problem. I think its common for most active exhaust

WG2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Mustang GT Premium PP2 M6
Is it a metallic rattle? Also, is it on start up and/or through the RPM band? I have a 19 pp2 with active valve, and mine has had a metallic rattle on start up and at 2k-3k RPMs. The noise began when I had a resonator delete done, so I wondered of it was the stock active valve... so I replaced the stock axelbacks with Borla S Types but I still have the exact same issue with no improvement.

nmarz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Is it a metallic rattle? Also, is it on start up and/or through the RPM band? I have a 19 pp2 with active valve, and mine has had a metallic rattle on start up and at 2k-3k RPMs. The noise began when I had a resonator delete done, so I wondered of it was the stock active valve... so I replaced the stock axelbacks with Borla S Types but I still have the exact same issue with no improvement.
Kind of a metallic sound. To me it sounded like a bad exhaust leak. I could only hear mine between 2k and 3k rpm. I ended up replacing the actuator springs with new ones and the noise is totally gone. I went with the mopar springs because they are stronger, but I had to grind a bit of the spring down where it fits into the actuator to get them to work.

Sponsored

WG2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Kind of a metallic sound. To me it sounded like a bad exhaust leak. I could only hear mine between 2k and 3k rpm. I ended up replacing the actuator springs with new ones and the noise is totally gone. I went with the mopar springs because they are stronger, but I had to grind a bit of the spring down where it fits into the actuator to get them to work.

Good to know, I've been experiencing the same exact sounds and had been questioning the valve strength. Did you remove the mufflers to access the actuator springs or was it pretty easy to do without removing the mufflers?

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I think I may have stumbled upon an issue I've been trying to diagnose for weeks! My R side tailpipe makes this noise on cold start, and seems to come back after that start if I accelerate (I suggest wearing headphones if you can't hear the noise, speakers tend to make the actual exhaust noise drown our whatever this is):

I thought the exhaust sounded wonky, like someone replaced my V8 with a V-tech, but wasn't sure what it was. Does this noise match any of y'alls experience?

WG2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
I think I may have stumbled upon an issue I've been trying to diagnose for weeks! My R side tailpipe makes this noise on cold start, and seems to come back after that start if I accelerate (I suggest wearing headphones if you can't hear the noise, speakers tend to make the actual exhaust noise drown our whatever this is):

I thought the exhaust sounded wonky, like someone replaced my V8 with a V-tech, but wasn't sure what it was. Does this noise match any of y'alls experience?

Yeah, mine sounds like that but on cold starts, the metallic rasp is much more prominent.

nmarz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

Yeah that sounds like it
Sponsored