Valves in active exhaust rattling?

nmarz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Good to know, I've been experiencing the same exact sounds and had been questioning the valve strength. Did you remove the mufflers to access the actuator springs or was it pretty easy to do without removing the mufflers?
You can do it with the mufflers still bolted up. The Actuator has 3 nuts and 1 plug to disconnect. The hardest part of the job is getting the spring set in the groove on the actuator and in the grooves on the exhaust valve.

Last edited:

WG2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Mustang GT Premium PP2 M6
You can do it with the mufflers still bolted up. The Actuator has 3 nuts and 1 plug to disconnect. The hardest part if the job is getting the spring set in the groove on the actuator and in the grooves on the exhaust valve.
Thanks for the advice!

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Once the spring is replaced does the valve itself need to be re-calibrated or reset at all? Wondering if all that flapping around set it off its axis.

nmarz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Once the spring is replaced does the valve itself need to be re-calibrated or reset at all? Wondering if all that flapping around set it off its axis.
Yes you will need to perform the PCM recalibration procedure for the Active Exhaust or you will get errors.

Sponsored

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Also would this malfunction ever be a cause for a misfire? I don't really see how outside of a computer misreading a piece of data, but I got a P0300 $07E8 when flooring it in quiet mode while having this issue.

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Last edited:

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
@nmarz77 btw were you able to actually see the exhaust flapping when sitting behind the exhaust? Mine doesn't seem to be moving so I'm thinking either a) the movement is too sublte to see or b) it is indeed an exhaust leak.

Sponsored

nmarz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
@nmarz77 btw were you able to actually see the exhaust flapping when sitting behind the exhaust? Mine doesn't seem to be moving so I'm thinking either a) the movement is too sublte to see or b) it is indeed an exhaust leak.
No, you cannot see it move by looking in there.

nmarz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Hahahaha yeah I'm not particularly looking forward to them not doing anything. Did you end up getting the part # for the OEM spring so I or my local mechanic could do it if the dealer doesn't?

EDIT: Is this it my friends? https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/suspension/chassis-parts/spring-8742183-1
Yes that's the part. I ended up going with Mopar's Spring, which is much stronger because I didn't trust the stock Ford ones anymore...., but that requires some modification of the spring to get it to work right. I feel like the Ford springs are just too weak to keep the exhaust valves from rattling on some cars.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So how many years/miles are we talking about here, when the springs get weak, and start rattling? It resembles the infamous F-150 3.5EB turbo wastegate rattling. My truck had it, and sounded awful. By grasping the lever and moving it briskly, you could duplicate the minimal play of the shaft against the turbo housing, but that was enough to make a racket. I installed HomeDepot springs pulling on the laterally, and problem solved. Minimal tension was enough to do the trick. But I don't see how it can be done to the exhaust valves, so I guess the only fix is to replace the springs with new ones, or modified stronger ones. If it happens like at 3 years and/or 30K miles, I wouldn't mind doing it as a maintenance item. If it's sooner, then it'd suck. Ha ha.

nmarz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
So how many years/miles are we talking about here, when the springs get weak, and start rattling? It resembles the infamous F-150 3.5EB turbo wastegate rattling. My truck had it, and sounded awful. By grasping the lever and moving it briskly, you could duplicate the minimal play of the shaft against the turbo housing, but that was enough to make a racket. I installed HomeDepot springs pulling on the laterally, and problem solved. Minimal tension was enough to do the trick. But I don't see how it can be done to the exhaust valves, so I guess the only fix is to replace the springs with new ones, or modified stronger ones. If it happens like at 3 years and/or 30K miles, I wouldn't mind doing it as a maintenance item. If it's sooner, then it'd suck. Ha ha.
Well I bought mine with only 8,000 miles on it and it already had the issue... and it only got worse as time went on.