Using your R models carbon fiber wheels for HPDE events

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
you can buy the studs or just buy the R hubs. I would recommend the hubs. The msi racing studs are superior, however it is a pain in the ass to replace them all.
Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with hubs since I also heard replacing the studs alone could be problematic. But I think I will be using the MSI lugs on the R hubs. Also, I assume with the R hubs/studs that I could still rotate the base gt350 wheels for non track days? I mean I guess it would make sense, although the base wheels probably make the studs stick out pretty far. Hopefully that's not fugly looking.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with hubs since I also heard replacing the studs alone could be problematic. But I think I will be using the MSI lugs on the R hubs. Also, I assume with the R hubs/studs that I could still rotate the base gt350 wheels for non track days? I mean I guess it would make sense, although the base wheels probably make the studs stick out pretty far. Hopefully that's not fugly looking.
Terrance @50 Deep makes a titanium lug nut solution for non R wheels when you have R studs/hubs. They aren't cheap, however they are very nice. I have two sets.

carholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range Rover
I am getting ready to start doing some HPDE events in another month or so and was wondering what people’s experience was who used their R’s CF wheels on the track. I’m not really interested in investing in a new set of wheels at this particular point especially with all the complications I’m reading about concerning the lug nut issues on the R with aftermarket wheels, however I have read/heard some conflicting information on how bad the track can tear up your wheels and wanted to hear what other people’s experience was like using their CF on the track. Thanks in Advance!

Took my R to the track twice in the last 5 weeks. It was awesome!

Meyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
Hi I am selling my set new never used please see here pictures DM for more details
1575566792327_image2 (1).jpg
1575566791885_image4.jpg

guzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350, 2019 Mustang GT
you can buy the studs or just buy the R hubs. I would recommend the hubs. The msi racing studs are superior, however it is a pain in the ass to replace them all.
Stud replacement is not bad actually. I did it on my GT350 when going to longer ARP ones. A small bench press makes quick work of pressing them out of the hub and they make inexpensive tools to pull them in nice and square. No press back in.

Sponsored

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I wouldn't use the OEM for track. Get a set of lugs from msi racing. That is what I use for track events. Not cheap, but they are the best.

I dont know if you have an R, but you may be looking at new hubs or studs due to the CF wheel specs. MSI can help you with that too.
Hey @Tomster, looking at the lug nuts section here http://www.msirp.com/lug-nuts, do you know off hand which product I need for the GT350R studs?

Thanks in advance,been a big help in my non-R to R wheel conversion project. :)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hey @Tomster, looking at the lug nuts section here http://www.msirp.com/lug-nuts, do you know off hand which product I need for the GT350R studs?

Thanks in advance,been a big help in my non-R to R wheel conversion project. :)
No, I dont know if the top of my head. I'd call, but I'm over the middle of the Pacific ocean.

Call them, tell them what you want to do and they will take care of you.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I wouldn't use the OEM for track. Get a set of lugs from msi racing. That is what I use for track events. Not cheap, but they are the best.

I dont know if you have an R, but you may be looking at new hubs or studs due to the CF wheel specs. MSI can help you with that too.
The R studs are longer than the longest ARP I could find. I am not sure about MSI's offerings.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
The R studs are longer than the longest ARP I could find. I am not sure about MSI's offerings.
I spoke to them about it a while back, they should have what you need. If it was me, I'd just buy new R hubs

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Hey guys, just chatted with MSI and I got the correct product number, 40.0001, and they come in at about $4.25 a piece. So if anyone is looking for the lug nuts for their GT350R wheels, that's your part number.

He also informed me that they will be working with Ford i believe to become the supplier for the studs in the OEM hubs, as well as they are starting work on lugs/studs for the GT500. Very cool guy to talk to. Basically supplies all the GT4 guys in IMSA. So cool.

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Go forged. Awesome wheels. Cheaper on the front end. May even be stronger?
No way. Not even close.

I’ve seen to the carbon fiber wheels fail under heavy track use.
Not from track "use". Maybe from heavy damage that would also destroy forged wheels.
Sponsored