US 'Detailing' vs UK 'washing the car'

NornIron91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was talking to the guy that is doing my paint protection (Crystal Serum and Exo) for me when I get the Mustang. I'm picking the car up as it comes to the dealer and then driving straight to him as it will mean less prep work for him hopefully. It's going to take 2-3 days work but if I can wait almost a year to get the car what is another 2 or 3 days.
Sponsored

Belly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT Auto, July build, Sept Arrival
I was talking to the guy that is doing my paint protection (Crystal Serum and Exo) for me when I get the Mustang. I'm picking the car up as it comes to the dealer and then driving straight to him as it will mean less prep work for him hopefully. It's going to take 2-3 days work but if I can wait almost a year to get the car what is another 2 or 3 days.
Can I ask what you've been quoted?
Ta

NornIron91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Can I ask what you've been quoted?
Ta
He hasn't given me a quote yet as he is trying to get a discount on the products, I should get a quote on Monday.

CJ01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Mondeo ST daily, Mustang GT when I want to smile
had a bit of Gregory Porter on
[MENTION=16323]Lone Survivor[/MENTION] - this made me laugh. While I can work out the sentiment, I don't get the link ? Sorry to be stupid. Shine light where there is currently darkness my friend ! :hail:

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
[MENTION=16323]Lone Survivor[/MENTION] - this made me laugh. While I can work out the sentiment, I don't get the link ? Sorry to be stupid. Shine light where there is currently darkness my friend ! :hail:
The car had just been given a home made detail, I was driving in the sunshine, it was dry, the music suited my mood and that of the V8, it all snowballed into the car being an absolute pleasure to be in.

Sorry, that might be more sentiment, but you had to be there :D

The track was Liquid Spirit BTW ;)

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Windows

Gave her a nice bath yesterday, waxed a few weeks ago so only needed a little attention (still a good couple of hours though ;))

However, I have failed miserably to get the windows looking anywhere near good. Imagine splashing them with hard water then leaving them to dry in the sun, that's what they currently look like despite going over them with Autoglm's "fast glass" product and a glass cleaning cloth. Had the same trouble last time I did them too.

Any suggestions guys? I'm not far from a halfords so might nip in there at lunch...

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Any suggestions guys? I'm not far from a halfords so might nip in there at lunch...

Try washing the window as normal but drying with a page of (dry) scrunched up newspaper. I kid you not !

try it on the Missus' car first if you don't believe it :D

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Gave her a nice bath yesterday, waxed a few weeks ago so only needed a little attention (still a good couple of hours though ;))

However, I have failed miserably to get the windows looking anywhere near good. Imagine splashing them with hard water then leaving them to dry in the sun, that's what they currently look like despite going over them with Autoglm's "fast glass" product and a glass cleaning cloth. Had the same trouble last time I did them too.

Properly drying them in circle motions, it's worth 'triple' towling it. I use a Chamois leather cloth to wipe off most the excess water, and then a large micro fibre cloth mit to take off the smaller water, then a smaller micro fibre cloth to finish it off, keeps water splodges off my windows.

If you're cleaning the inside, use a kitchen paper towel (Bountry them kinda ones) to clean with, it'll soak up enough of the excess to stop having droplets, however will move enough moisture to keep it squeaky clean!

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Try washing the window as normal but drying with a page of (dry) scrunched up newspaper. I kid you not !

try it on the Missus' car first if you don't believe it :D
Good tip! I remember years ago washing some mirrors with just that, and plain old washin up liquid, I may well give that a go! It did work wonders on the mirrors

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
Manders, never use a chamois, that's tantamount to sanding the paint!! You're new to the detailing game, get yourself over to detailing world, loads of info for you there ;), be warned though, go off topic and they'll bone your bird and melt your car with washing up liquid :lol:, erm you don't use that as well do you?
[MENTION=19311]tooley[/MENTION], that's an old Army trick with the newspaper, had a chuckle to myself remembering the many hours 'detailing' a barrack room window with newspaper

Sponsored

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
Don't wash your car when it's hot. The water has just dried to quickly. I use Meguires stuff and it's pretty good.
Get some rain X on them too and it might help on the next wash.

Don't ever use a chamois or paper towels. Get a proper drying towel. Again I recommend the megs towel but I have never tried anything else.

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
@tooley, that's an old Army trick with the newspaper, had a chuckle to myself remembering the many hours 'detailing' a barrack room window with newspaper

Yep - got it from my Grandfather - he was a Desert Rat :)

Heretian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex GT in TY. Now GT Shadow in RR
For windows I used Gtechniq G4 polish and G6 cleaner.

Sealed the wife's Kia with G5 sealant too which should keep them hydrophobic for ages. My Stang will be getting G1 and G2 sealant as it gets better products than hers. :)

the G4 and G6 are good value too and you get loads. I think I paid like £30 for a glass kit including G1 and G2.

http://gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/automotive-glass-care-kit

Hammer Time

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Auto
What wheel cleaners are you using ? The ford body shop guy said use a ph neutral cleaner as it would not affect the paint on them. My car shines apart from the wheels :(
Sponsored