Sponsored

US 'Detailing' vs UK 'washing the car'

zero7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V8 GT
Yup mine was swirled to hell and back, corrected now though.
Need to wash mine over the weekend, first wash since being Gtechniq'd so interesting to see if as suggested it comes straight back up looking like it did last week. Never need to wax/seal/polish or clay again (not during the 7 year guarantee anyway)
Will be interesting if that 7 year thing is true, with our weather and cars being outdoors I can't see it myself.... I may mop mine myself as I'm ok with the DA.
Sponsored

kevinS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT v8, Auto, Guard, Stripes, Saddle
Have you read the terms of the guarantee and what is not covered. I am a bit skepticle as to what they will actually do/cover at each inspection. You have to take it back for inspection every year, but it doesn't cover chipping, scratching or bird mess etching into the surface.

I have never had a car detailed, so I would be interested in anyone who has kept a car for several years after a detail and how it has lasted.

It does seem a lot of money and all the examples I have seen are for the more expensive end of the market, so based on that it is a small price to pay. But for every day cars it is a big cost and I just don't know if it is worth it or not, but happy to be convinced.

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Have you read the terms of the guarantee and what is not covered. I am a bit skepticle as to what they will actually do/cover at each inspection. You have to take it back for inspection every year, but it doesn't cover chipping, scratching or bird mess etching into the surface.

I have never had a car detailed, so I would be interested in anyone who has kept a car for several years after a detail and how it has lasted.

It does seem a lot of money and all the examples I have seen are for the more expensive end of the market, so based on that it is a small price to pay. But for every day cars it is a big cost and I just don't know if it is worth it or not, but happy to be convinced.

The company who did mine had their 6 year old bmw outside (it was coated from new), still looked brand new. The Gtechniq crystal serum resists bird muck, had some land on the roof the other day and it literally slid off lol.

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
What are people using for cleaning & maintaining the leather seats? Having 2 kids in the back of mine means inevitable seat kicking and such like.

SSC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Sponsored

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Just took a small video while I pressure washed the car, this is what happens when the car is coated. Doddle to wash

stiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 V8 Manual Fastback, DIB
Just took a small video while I pressure washed the car, this is what happens when the car is coated. Doddle to wash

You'll find if you hose it, it will sheet off even more effectively :thumbsup:

StarWarsJez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc C240
Anyone know of any issues using a foam cannon/lance on a car with stripes?

I presume the foam is quite gentle (theultimatefinish.co.uk stuff)?

Sponsored

SSC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Chemical guys using snow foam on a car with stripes, if they use it I would def follow suit. That honeydew snow foam is fantastic stuff ).

[ame]

StarWarsJez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc C240
Thanks guys. Not getting my car for a few weeks but even now looking forward to cleaning it!

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
Anyone know of any issues using a foam cannon/lance on a car with stripes?

I presume the foam is quite gentle (theultimatefinish.co.uk stuff)?
I haven't got stripes but the Ultimate Finish snow foam is fine, I can't imagine it'll affect your stripes - more likely the pressure washer, but the foam kind of dulls the effect of the water so you should be OK.

I've washed my car quite a few times using Ultimate Finish foam and even though it's black it really comes up a treat with not that much effort - probably due to the GTechniq ceramic coating. I think washing it quite frequently helps too as the dirt and grime doesn't get a chance to build up, hence comes off easier (plus I'm not using the car on a daily basis).

I've managed to work out a method that only involves me actually touching the surface of the car to dry it. I pressure wash as much of the dirt off as possible, then do the wheels with wheel cleaner, then snow foam it. It took me a few goes to work out the best water/foam mixture ratio and lance setting but now I seem to have a good balance. You seem to need just enough foam to cling for a while but then run off, taking the dirt with it. Too much foam and it just seems to cling and not run off, too little foam and it just runs off before it has a chance to get into the dirt. Not sure if water hardness makes any difference to anything.

Anyway, once the snow foam has had a good 10-15mins to get to work and run off (time for a cup of tea), I pressure wash the remainder away then use car shampoo in the pressure washer on the low pressure setting. I sometimes use a microfibre wash-mit at this stage (frequently rinsing out in a bucket to get rid of any grit it picks up). If the car isn't too dirty this seem to get rid of all the grime and muck.

Then another pressure wash and finally dry with firstly 100% cotton towels and then another go over with microfibre towels to get a streak-free finish.

I recently bought an 'Aqua Gleam' water filter which I'm going to try out on the next wash. Theoretically this should negate the need for drying, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'll report back on how it works, but it could knock about 30mins off the washing time, which is currently about 2.5hrs.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I know this maybe slightly on a tangent, however, as long as a pressure washer is used correctly at the correct distance from the car, then the vinyl wrap/decal in this example, stripes, should not peel up. If it does or has you've got a defect vinyl on your car as the adhesive under the vinyl should be spread evenly on the underside of it to keep it from lifting.

Foam in general is gentle and shouldn't lift the vinyl, if you're planning to sponge your car ever, then the sponges with the mesh over them will be your enemy regarding any vinyl or decal.

Source; the multiple wrappers whom I've shot 5000 questions at

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Sponsored