...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Source; the multiple wrappers whom I've shot 5000 questions at
Would these be the wrappers that told you a wrap didn't need disclosed to your insurance company? ;)

I intend making more of an effort to keep my car clean than I have with previous cars but living on the coast its like being on a hiding to nothing. Washed the car at the weekend and within a couple of hours it had been sh*t on twice by gulls, and cleaning that off results in smears. So I'll be protecting the paintwork which will help but I have no intention of dedicating days to producing a perfectly finished car, cos it won't last 5 minutes...

As I've said before I bought the car to drive, not to clean.
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
They would be. Funnily enough, a very famous and reputable wrapped told me the same... well, they actually told me to notify but it wouldn't effect premium.

How are you cleaning off the shit? I've heard the whole "let it set then warm soapy water it off" and the immediate "jet wash when it lands" theories! Worst is getting your scrubber out and seeing the shit smeer everywhere!

But yes protecting it sounds sensible.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SSC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The horrors of bad cleaning on paintwork, the chauffeur apparently use a brillo pad to clean off bird droppings and continued to go over the whole car. Here's a detailer fixing the damage.

[ame]

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
How are you cleaning off the shit? I've heard the whole "let it set then warm soapy water it off" and the immediate "jet wash when it lands" theories! Worst is getting your scrubber out and seeing the shit smeer everywhere!
To be fair I'm definitely not doing a good job of removing it. We're literally talking piles of the stuff and my immediate concern is getting it off the car. As I have never obsessively cared about the paintwork on any car I've owned so far this might be by means of a bucket of water, pressure washer, sponge, mitt, whatever happens to be at hand. I intend coming up with a better method for the Stang but I will be fighting a losing battle.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair I'm definitely not doing a good job of removing it. We're literally talking piles of the stuff and my immediate concern is getting it off the car. As I have never obsessively cared about the paintwork on any car I've owned so far this might be by means of a bucket of water, pressure washer, sponge, mitt, whatever happens to be at hand. I intend coming up with a better method for the Stang but I will be fighting a losing battle.
All weather car cover when not driving, as you live by the coast might be beneficial...

or a garage? or if that's too much, put it under a gazeebo and pray it doesn't blow over :lol:

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
All weather car cover when not driving, as you live by the coast might be beneficial...

or a garage? or if that's too much, put it under a gazeebo and pray it doesn't blow over :lol:
Car cover would be no good cos I'm not disciplined enough to make sure the car was perfectly clean before putting it on.
The car will be garaged but I have to take it out to drive it and I kid you not I can guarantee the car will be sh*t on every time it comes out :)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Car cover would be no good cos I'm not disciplined enough to make sure the car was perfectly clean before putting it on.
The car will be garaged but I have to take it out to drive it and I kid you not I can guarantee the car will be sh*t on every time it comes out :)
There's a business opportunity here... a car umbrella.... lol.

Alternatively do what I did an invest in one of them squeaking high pitch speakers that's stopped the bird shit I've been getting almost indefinitely. Had it strapped to the chestnut tree for about 6 months now and rarely get any anymore.

Mind you having kids your kids may hear it and hate you for it so might need to test ahead of time...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
As promised, an update on the water filter.

Bloody brilliant! I've got to say, I was a little sceptical about it but I was completely wrong. Works a treat, completely spot and streak-free finish and saves you about 30mins of towel drying. Only one caveat really - and this sounds a bit obvious - but the car needs to be clean and you need to ensure all the shampoo is washed off, otherwise whatever contaminants are left on the car will dry as white streaks.

I bought the Aqua Gleam 0ppm filter (they also do a 20ppm filter). The only drawback is that I live in a hard water area so I'm only likely to get about 30-40 washes out of it (unless I put it in series with a 20ppm filter). If you're lucky enough to live in a soft water area the 0ppm filter can last for up to 100 washes apparently.

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
As promised, an update on the water filter.

Bloody brilliant! I've got to say, I was a little sceptical about it but I was completely wrong. Works a treat, completely spot and streak-free finish and saves you about 30mins of towel drying. Only one caveat really - and this sounds a bit obvious - but the car needs to be clean and you need to ensure all the shampoo is washed off, otherwise whatever contaminants are left on the car will dry as white streaks.

I bought the Aqua Gleam 0ppm filter (they also do a 20ppm filter). The only drawback is that I live in a hard water area so I'm only likely to get about 30-40 washes out of it (unless I put it in series with a 20ppm filter). If you're lucky enough to live in a soft water area the 0ppm filter can last for up to 100 washes apparently.
I've been using mine for nearly 4 months now (maybe 8 washes). Initially it was perfect, but recently noticed that residue was still left on the car. Black so really shows up. Not sure if becomes less effective with time (maybe bring left in cold/damp conditions?), or was just me, not fully washing off etc. I finished off with a few MF towels after washing yesterday and found at the very least it was really easy to do and left no residue (tap water certainly would). Took less than 10mins with 3 big towels. As you say though, other than time, the idea was not to have to make contact with the bodywork.

RSPcooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. Mini 30. Q5
Have used the method outlined by McDoodle for a year now on a black C63 and now current GT. The old filter i connect in series with the new 0 ppm and the results are excellent. If you are going to put on a wax this is ideal leaves car spotless.

Sponsored

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
I've been using mine for nearly 4 months now (maybe 8 washes). Initially it was perfect, but recently noticed that residue was still left on the car. Black so really shows up. Not sure if becomes less effective with time (maybe bring left in cold/damp conditions?), or was just me, not fully washing off etc. I finished off with a few MF towels after washing yesterday and found at the very least it was really easy to do and left no residue (tap water certainly would). Took less than 10mins with 3 big towels. As you say though, other than time, the idea was not to have to make contact with the bodywork.
Unusually for me I did actually read the leaflet that comes with the filter :). Apparently it helps longevity if you drain the filter after use, then put the stoppers back on each end and store it in the box and/or dark cupboard - it seems exposure to sunlight degrades the effectiveness of the magic crystals - I certainly hope it lasts longer than 8 washes! Is yours the Aqua Gleam filter also? They claim that even in hard water areas the 0ppm should last about 30 washes. If it's only 8 or 10 that will be very disappointing.

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Unusually for me I did actually read the leaflet that comes with the filter :). Apparently it helps longevity if you drain the filter after use, then put the stoppers back on each end and store it in the box and/or dark cupboard - it seems exposure to sunlight degrades the effectiveness of the magic crystals - I certainly hope it lasts longer than 8 washes! Is yours the Aqua Gleam filter also? They claim that even in hard water areas the 0ppm should last about 30 washes. If it's only 8 or 10 that will be very disappointing.
Yes, it's the Aqua gleam. 0ppm

Could be a number of things. I do drain (although the crystals are never going to dry out), but have lost the little white 'stoppers' (the usual, put down on the 'side' then magically disappeared). Been stored in garage - constantly cold and damp (even freezing?). Or could just have been a bad wash job. I resorted to finishing with MF towels last time as I just couldn't bear the possibility of water-spots again after spending ages on the wash.

Tell you what I did notice the first time using this method, was that I must have missed (with the wash mit) a few small spots on the bodywork. Made me wonder if I'd done this before with my previous cars, but it just went unnoticed as the towels (or chamois leather in the early days) removed the evidence of the crime.

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Got well fed up today washing the car.
I wash it every week without fail. I am never completely happy afterwards but it usually looks pretty good.
Today though, I just wasnt. If I was a 4 year old I would have cried and stamped my feet.
If I was a woman, I would have cried and stamped my feet. But I am a man, a big strong man. So I cried and stamped my feet.
Tyres looked crap
Windows looked crap
Road tar all over it
More stone chips (And yes, I do leave space behind the car in front)
Wheels looked crap
Maybe I should have a detail?

Heretian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex GT in TY. Now GT Shadow in RR
Most of the stuff I need for cleaning and prepping the car arrived today. Did a test run with foam, 2 bucket wash, clay, polish and wax on the wifes Kia. I won't be using wax on mine though as will be ordering Gtechniq C1 and EXO and her's isn't worth the trouble! Did try out the G4, G5 and G6 glass treatments though and it made a massive difference. The water just sheets off and wasn't too hard to apply. Sold on Gtechniq products now despite the investment price.

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
Got well fed up today washing the car.
I wash it every week without fail. I am never completely happy afterwards but it usually looks pretty good.
Today though, I just wasnt. If I was a 4 year old I would have cried and stamped my feet.
If I was a woman, I would have cried and stamped my feet. But I am a man, a big strong man. So I cried and stamped my feet.
Tyres looked crap
Windows looked crap
Road tar all over it
More stone chips (And yes, I do leave space behind the car in front)
Wheels looked crap
Maybe I should have a detail?
Get one mate, you'll be happy everytime you wash the car.

Got some free time today and some not too bad weather, so gave her a good seeing to after fitting the RPI splash guards and test fitting the 20mm and 23mm spacers. I'll wait until the suspension mods are done before deciding which combo I'm going for.

So washed and dried the car, paintwork was rough with contaminants, so a good clay barring and all was good, smooth as the proverbial :D. Washed and dried again, then a coat of wax, car is now almost perfect on looks, minus suspension mods. Panel gap good, no nose pinch, still need to decontaminate the wheels from that shit process that Ford call 'under sealing', complete botch it and leg it job!!

It's a f*kin big car when you have been over it 6 times with various stages :crazy:.

Took my middle daughter to her friends and went for a bit of a cruise, had a bit of Gregory Porter on, fooking amazing machine, just starting to get to grips, but suffice to say, I'd live in it if I could at the moment :lol:

I'm getting her detailed and sealed as soon as time allows, the full G Technique or whatever it's called, then I'm going to rag the arse out of her for a bit.

Can't wait for the McMustang and NC500 meets :headbang:
Sponsored