Sponsored

US 'Detailing' vs UK 'washing the car'

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Looks fantastic.

£200 dealer contribution pays for the dash-cam (almost)

Next project - undersealing? Is anyone going to get it done? Found a few places, but again not cheap.
Sponsored

SSC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Used this Quote builder for detailing and coating price from a guy in Elgin if anyone up North East Scotland needs to price the service. My dealer offered Lifeshine but I'm going for the gtechniq after looking at this offer.

http://www.gtechniq.com/service

www.amdetails.co.uk

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Used this Quote builder for detailing and coating price from a guy in Elgin if anyone up North East Scotland needs to price the service. My dealer offered Lifeshine but I'm going for the gtechniq after looking at this offer.

http://www.gtechniq.com/service

www.amdetails.co.uk
Not cheap GTechniq, is it :)
What was the offer? I'd probably go to Spotless Detailing in Perth as its a good bit closer!

SSC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Not cheap GTechniq, is it :)
What was the offer? I'd probably go to Spotless Detailing in Perth as its a good bit closer!
The Total Surface Protection

• Single Stage Detail consists of a single stage machine polish which is mainly intended as prep before a Gtechniq coating or to remove very light dealer marring. All painted surfaces will undergo a very fine machine polish using a finishing polish and pad. This service will extract the sharpest possible finish out of your vehicle before your chosen protection is applied. - £320.00

• Paint Work Coatings – Crystal Serum Light Black - £255.00 or Crystal Serum Black £325.00
• Total surface protection package. Every Additional Gtechniq bolt in. interior and exterior - Not only is the complete bundle 20% more cost effective than buying each treatment individually, we will include an ultra-durable coating for your exhaust tips, callipers, engine bay plastics, head lights and tail lights. - £235.00

TOTAL

Crystal Serum Light Package - £810.00 – 5 year Guarantee
Crystal Serum Black Package - £880.00 – 7 year Guarantee

Both of the above services qualify you for our Bronze, Silver and Gold maintenance valets.

Free vehicle pick up and drop off in Elgin
Free collection from Elgin Train station
24 hr CCTV
Fully Insured to drive your vehicle
10% off purchases when you book a vehicle with us
Maintenance Loyalty Card.

OFFSHORE CLIENTS – Many of our regular customers have us collect their vehicle and carry out the detailing to be ready for your arrival onshore, ensuring you don’t lose any valuable time with your vehicle at home.

From the email he sent me :)

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
The Total Surface Protection

•Single Stage Detail consists of a single stage machine polish which is mainly intended as prep before a Gtechniq coating or to remove very light dealer marring. All painted surfaces will undergo a very fine machine polish using a finishing polish and pad. This service will extract the sharpest possible finish out of your vehicle before your chosen protection is applied. - £320.00

•Paint Work Coatings – Crystal Serum Light Black - £255.00 or Crystal Serum Black £325.00

•Total surface protection package. Every Additional Gtechniq bolt in. interior and exterior - Not only is the complete bundle 20% more cost effective than buying each treatment individually, we will include an ultra-durable coating for your exhaust tips, callipers, engine bay plastics, head lights and tail lights. - £235.00

TOTAL

Crystal Serum Light Package - £810.00 – 5 year Guarantee

Crystal Serum Black Package - £880.00 – 7 year Guarantee

Both of the above services qualify you for our Bronze, Silver and Gold maintenance valets.

Free vehicle pick up and drop off in Elgin

Free collection from Elgin Train station

24 hr CCTV

Fully Insured to drive your vehicle

10% off purchases when you book a vehicle with us

Maintenance Loyalty Card.

OFFSHORE CLIENTS – Many of our regular customers have us collect their vehicle and carry out the detailing to be ready for your arrival onshore, ensuring you don’t lose any valuable time with your vehicle at home.

From the email he sent me :)

I wouldn't take the price quoted on the Gtechniq website as what you'll pay. Mine was £450 + vat for full car inc Windows & Wheels. That was for black exo

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I wouldn't take the price quoted on the Gtechniq website as what you'll pay. Mine was £450 + vat for full car inc Windows & Wheels. That was for black exo
We will likely suffer from a lack of choice up in Scotland - and they know it. I may consider having the same place fit some stripes and tint my rear windows at the same time so would need to leave the car for a few days. Needs to be somewhere relatively close.

Will definitely be asking for a quote however...

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Question guys...

I'm itching to wash my car & hoping to get the chance this weekend, weather permitting! Seeing as there are a couple of meets in the next couple of weeks :)

I will do my own version of a detail, as per my earlier post, but I wondered about the clay bar; is it necessary to do each time? As it's been a good 6 weeks since I have washed it, I'm guessing the answer is yes but just wondered how crucial it is. I will be applying a layer of wax...

Its just such a time intensive step, and I know it's worth the effort but I will skip it if I can get away with it ;)

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
You shouldn't need to clay bar it again for a while if you did a good job 6 weeks ago. After you've washed and dried the car, run the back of your hand over the panels, if it still feels smooth, then no need.

I generally do it twice maybe three times a year. Not in any particular order and depending when it was last done, before Autumn/winter, again after winter and then late spring, early summer.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Edit: of course there's no hard and fast rule, you can clay it every week if you want, but there's no need for that level of OCD :lol:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You shouldn't need to clay bar it again for a while if you did a good job 6 weeks ago. After you've washed and dried the car, run the back of your hand over the panels, if it still feels smooth, then no need.

I generally do it twice maybe three times a year. Not in any particular order and depending when it was last done, before Autumn/winter, again after winter and then late spring, early summer.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Edit: of course there's no hard and fast rule, you can clay it every week if you want, but there's no need for that level of OCD :lol:
Haha thanks mate, that has set my mind at ease! For now I think I will give that a miss but definitely get a layer of wax on.

Made the mistake of parking under a streetlight yesterday...let's just say it's a good job I had that box of bird dropping wipes in the glove box :lol:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Got a good wash/wax done today on my day off :) timed it well because I think it will rain here soon!

Anyway, wanted to comment following my last post...its been 8 weeks since I washed it last (i know - tut tut) and I must say the wax I put on last time really did a good job, after the wash and dry, it didn't actually need anything else - looked spotless which is normally not the case for me, normally water marks all over the place that need a good polish/wax.

Seeing as its still winter & the roads & weather are sh1t, I threw on another layer of wax. No clay bar as Lone Survivor suggested which actually was fine. After drying the paint was smooth, not perfect but good enough not to clay. I think I will do it next time though...

Anyway, got a bit carried away with the camera after so here are some pics...enjoy! Have a good weekend chaps :ford:
IMG_1941.jpg
IMG_1950.jpg
IMG_1957.jpg
IMG_1958.jpg
IMG_5009.jpg
IMG_5017.jpg

Sponsored

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
Looking great :thumbs:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Hope you buffed those swirls out of the bonnet Kristian! ;)

zero7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V8 GT
Very nice, what's the though on mopping a new car? anyone noticed any swirls straight from the showroom, I've asked my dealer not to wash mine.

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Very nice, what's the though on mopping a new car? anyone noticed any swirls straight from the showroom, I've asked my dealer not to wash mine.

Yup mine was swirled to hell and back, corrected now though.
Need to wash mine over the weekend, first wash since being Gtechniq'd so interesting to see if as suggested it comes straight back up looking like it did last week. Never need to wax/seal/polish or clay again (not during the 7 year guarantee anyway)
Sponsored