Sponsored

Upset about the build quality

bretlasalle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
I stopped by my local dealer and was pleasantly surprised to see that they had a GT350 on the showroom. I have a 2016 AG, black roof, black stripes on order with another dealer and it's scheduled to be here Dec. 5-11th. This is the first GT350 I've seen in person, I was impressed with the final product until I started to look more closely and found several flaws. I am not sure that I will accept my car if it has these issues. Not sure what to do and I don't mean to be dramatic, but it is upsetting that my 2013 Boss 302 came off the line in perfect condition and that this one came off in terrible condition. Link to the images - http://imgur.com/a/hKxYS

1) The front stripes are not correctly spaced, which is super noticeable because there is a crease in the metal right down the middle of the bumper.

2) The trunk has major gaps, the rear bumper has gaps...

3) The paint on the rear bumper seams to have a few pieces of hair or cloth or something in it.

Pardon the iPhone pics, but thought it was still worth posting them up. As I write this, I realize that I may be being a bit picky - though I know I would be upset every time I wash the car and see these mistakes. Does anybody know if the dealer would be able to fix the mistakes, possible as a "due bill"? I also included a picture in the album of the vin, perhaps this was an early build and they have since corrected these issues... I am a big fan of Ford and really proud that they are helping to shape the performance car world with a road race inspired car like this - I know they can do better.
Sponsored

Face76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Just got mine last night so I won't get a good chance to look at it until this weekend but what I noticed was the poor quality of the stripes. I mean my 78 Trans Am had a better decal on the hood.

GTA Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350
Don't get too upset. The car was built on the same line as entry level V6 Mustangs that are sold for half the price. The heart and soul of this car are under the skin. What you see on the outside is not even 1/10 of the story.

I have exactly the same issues on my Hellcat. The outside of the car looks no different in quality than a Caravan engine basic Challenger.

I don't think the original GT350 looked any better than a basic Mustang when it was first released in 1965.

It is part of the charm of this car so just love it for what it is and what it stands for. Don't forget that had this been built by some quality European exotic car company, the price would have been 3 or 4 times as much.

bullittman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350 chassis 0387
I had my car for a few days now, and gone it carefully and it really has no issues like that. Some very small differences in the trunk gap on one side...Less than .050 . even the rear glass is even. That clearly sounds like a bad one though.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Don't get too upset. The car was built on the same line as entry level V6 Mustangs that are sold for half the price. The heart and soul of this car are under the skin. What you see on the outside is not even 1/10 of the story.

I have exactly the same issues on my Hellcat. The outside of the car looks no different in quality than a Caravan engine basic Challenger.

I don't think the original GT350 looked any better than a basic Mustang when it was first released in 1965.

It is part of the charm of this car so just love it as what it is and what it stands for. Don't forget that had this been built by some quality European exotic car company, the price would have been 3 or 4 times as much.
This, 1000%.

The topic reminds me of my GT500, think of it as a $20K car with a $30K engine.

Face76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
So, I assume the stripe(s) is one wide black stripe with a contrasting color down the middle and on the sides?

OP
OP

bretlasalle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
So, I assume the stripe(s) is one wide black stripe with a contrasting color down the middle and on the sides?
If I understand your question, it is a wide black stripe with the contrasting white on the outside of the stripe not in the middle. (Hope I understood your ? correctly).

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's

It is part of the charm of this car so just love it for what it is and what it stands for. Don't forget that had this been built by some quality European exotic car company, the price would have been 3 or 4 times as much.
Spot on my man :cheers:

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
Not sure if all the issues would bother me but that rear bumper cover to quarter panel assembly would definitely be a show stopper for me.

it looks like it might fall off.

Sponsored

Face76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Blue stripe has a narrow white stripe down the middle which is where some of the poor quality shows up near the lower bumper.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
My Fusion has some gap-ing issues too. Thems the breaks with a Ford. They seem to have gotten worse at this as my Boss is pretty good for the most part, and my Focus is absolutely perfect.

But really if I wanted perfectly aligned panels, I'd buy a $70k Audi that's half as fast.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Before you take delivery, those items would be indicated as things to correct, and that should be in writing when you are talking with the salesperson. As you likely know, that is why there is a pre-delivery inspection wash.

While frustrating, those are all things that should be fixable without too much trouble.

CliffClavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van down by the river
Can the rear bumper just be pushed up? Not sure how it is affixed, but looks like the tabs are not pushed in all the way?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Sorry but the "If I wanted good panel alignment, I would have bought X for X" doesn't really cut it, in my book.

Sure, the GT350 is a good performance bargain but that shouldn't mean that Ford gets a pass on quality issues that companies like KIA seem to do fine at. They definitely seem to have gone backwards and are not on par with the masses.

So I'm saying that it has nothing to do with price or value. In this day and age, these types of issues should be the exception, not the rule.
Sponsored