Sponsored

How would you rate your Shelby GT350 build quality upon delivery?

OP
OP
Rogue

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Congrats spa! The red looks amazing!
Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
My Race Red Tech arrived today and is absolutely insane. The paint is excellent - 9.5/10 everywhere but the hood and front bumper cover that get 8/10. The hood boogers are small and hard to see unless the hood is up, and the top surface of the hood is excellent. There's a very small nick on the front bumper cover that looks like a repair was attempted at the factory that I count as a beauty mark (and it probably won't even show once the XPEL is installed). The body gaps are even all around and the doors, hood and trunklid close perfectly.
OK, so I got a little caught up in new car fever and being so thankful that GT 350 No. 2 was so much better quality-wise than the one I refused delivery on in December. However, after doing a much more complete pre-Xpel paint inspection, I'm revising my overall paint rating to 7/10, which is not as good as I'd expect from an average Kia Rio. None of these paint defects will cause me to not love the car, but they certainly are evidence of how Ford is still sending garbage paint jobs out of Flat Rock. For example, I found a spot with dirt in the paint on the hood, and there are runs on both rear fenders - plus a paint bubble that's popped, leaving a void - along the seams where the rear bumper cover meets the fenders. This is the first time I've seen these defects on a Mustang, so at least Ford is being creative at screwing things up. Fixing these areas now would make things worse, and I prefer OEM paint, but Ford needs to up its game so its cars will do better than pass just a 50-foot inspection. :rant:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
OK, so I got a little caught up in new car fever and being so thankful that GT 350 No. 2 was so much better quality-wise than the one I refused delivery on in December. However, after doing a much more complete pre-Xpel paint inspection, I'm revising my overall paint rating to 7/10, which is not as good as I'd expect from an average Kia Rio. None of these paint defects will cause me to not love the car, but they certainly are evidence of how Ford is still sending garbage paint jobs out of Flat Rock. For example, I found a spot with dirt in the paint on the hood, and there are runs on both rear fenders - plus a paint bubble that's popped, leaving a void - along the seams where the rear bumper cover meets the fenders. This is the first time I've seen these defects on a Mustang, so at least Ford is being creative at screwing things up. Fixing these areas now would make things worse, and I prefer OEM paint, but Ford needs to up its game so its cars will do better than pass just a 50-foot inspection. :rant:
Thanks for this. I was considering picking mine up from the port and taking it straight to the shop for ppf wrapping. I'm rethinking that now, because it would leave me no time for the dealer to make corrections, and I am almost positive there will be a need for them. So, it sounds like it would be better to be patient.

Stingray Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350 Tech Package
I'm going to give my car a 7/10. A few things. The rear bumper gaps on both sides were atrocious. I loosened the fender well bolts and moved the bumper forwards and it looks ok now. There was a scratch on the underside of the hood (the pointy part) where it meets the bumper. There was 3 chips on the edge of the passenger door where it meets the front fender (the factory probably bumped it into the fender while attaching the door, applies touch up paint, not noticeable but when looking close it looks crappy). Paint chip on the drivers fender where the headlight meets the fender. Two small scratches on the headlamp, most likely bumped the lamp in the fender when installing it. A small scratch on the drivers door panel. Lastly I just noticed the two faced tape holding the front fender vents to the let go and there is a small gap, both fenders. Not terrible. I'm a perfectionist and these things bug me. I've owned 2 S550 GT's and they were pretty decent. Is it possible these paint chips could be fixed without repainting the whole panel? I'm going to take it to my dealer and see what they will do for me. Sometimes it's best to leave it alone since it may open a can of worms. I'm not sure what to do....
IMG_0827.jpg

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
With that many dings and scratches, I would think that your car was shipped on an open car hauler like many others were. And that's a long haul from Mich. to Cal. Mine arrived in an enclosed van and had zero scratches, dings, or paint issues whatsoever. It did have several panel gap issues that your basic Ford buyer would never notice. I'm not a perfectionist either, but having owned a 911 and a BMW in years past, I have seen build quality at it's best. American car quality is 100% better than it was 20 years ago, but they cost 100% more also. Still light years from Porsche prices or build quality, but overall I would rate my 2016 GT350 at 8.5. And since the front splitter was installed at the dealer, I can't hold that against Ford either since 90% of all dealers are basically clueless. I'm just glad I caught the thread on that before it came loose like some have, with disastrous outcomes. But I don't think your average Ford dealer would not make your situation better, and could possibly make it worse, as you had stated. At least your car is white, so if you squint a little, they go away. Mine is black, so I would have refused delivery.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stingray Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With that many dings and scratches, I would think that your car was shipped on an open car hauler like many others were. And that's a long haul from Mich. to Cal. Mine arrived in an enclosed van and had zero scratches, dings, or paint issues whatsoever. It did have several panel gap issues that your basic Ford buyer would never notice. I'm not a perfectionist either, but having owned a 911 and a BMW in years past, I have seen build quality at it's best. American car quality is 100% better than it was 20 years ago, but they cost 100% more also. Still light years from Porsche prices or build quality, but overall I would rate my 2016 GT350 at 8.5. And since the front splitter was installed at the dealer, I can't hold that against Ford either since 90% of all dealers are basically clueless. I'm just glad I caught the thread on that before it came loose like some have, with disastrous outcomes. But I don't think your average Ford dealer would not make your situation better, and could possibly make it worse, as you had stated. At least your car is white, so if you squint a little, they go away. Mine is black, so I would have refused delivery.

No dings or dents whatsoever. All of the damages are very small. Not really noticeable. Some things I just found recently. The part that bothers me the most are the chips at the edge of the door, between the fender and door. My old 2015 S550 GT actually rubbed. No rubbing at all. I'm going to ask the dealer to replace the drivers door panel, fix the fender vents (wouldn't mind replacing them with aftermarket carbon fiber pieces), and see what they say about fixing the paint defects. Like I mentioned, I'm worried they may create more of a mess than do good fixing the small paint issues. A friend once said, your never going to keep the car more than 2 years anyhow. Just enjoy it.

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
No dings or dents whatsoever. All of the damages are very small. Not really noticeable. Some things I just found recently. The part that bothers me the most are the chips at the edge of the door, between the fender and door. My old 2015 S550 GT actually rubbed. No rubbing at all. I'm going to ask the dealer to replace the drivers door panel, fix the fender vents (wouldn't mind replacing them with aftermarket carbon fiber pieces), and see what they say about fixing the paint defects. Like I mentioned, I'm worried they may create more of a mess than do good fixing the small paint issues. A friend once said, your never going to keep the car more than 2 years anyhow. Just enjoy it.
Wow. 2 years. I keep mine on average 8 years. In fact my ZO6 is 12 years old. I could never swallow that kind of vehicle depreciation on a regular basis, even if I could afford it. Which I can't. LOL, not with a daughter in law school. The chips on your door edges would be about the only thing I would let a dealer touch. You might get away with letting them do the other small paint issues, but only because of the white paint. I'm becoming more and more aware of how rare my flawless black came out. I've read many posts from buyers that had runs or bubbles, and even one that had a fingerprint in the fender paint. With me, a few water spots can ruin my day.:rant: Please let us know how it turns out. And good luck.

Stingray Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow. 2 years. I keep mine on average 8 years. In fact my ZO6 is 12 years old. I could never swallow that kind of vehicle depreciation on a regular basis, even if I could afford it. Which I can't. LOL, not with a daughter in law school. The chips on your door edges would be about the only thing I would let a dealer touch. You might get away with letting them do the other small paint issues, but only because of the white paint. I'm becoming more and more aware of how rare my flawless black came out. I've read many posts from buyers that had runs or bubbles, and even one that had a fingerprint in the fender paint. With me, a few water spots can ruin my day.:rant: Please let us know how it turns out. And good luck.
One of the reasons I wanted this car is that it will have an excellent resale value. My 2013 Boss 302 which I sold to my selling dealer netted me $40,000. Lost $5,000 in 2 years time. Regular Mustangs lose tons of $$$$. Except for the few chips the paint looks amazing. Thanks. I'll post new info when I get some. I dread taking it to the dealer. They will most likely say "what do you want us to do", lol. I know it will be a pain. I have purchased over 13 cars from them. I know their GM personally. Hopefully he can help.

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 BOSS302, 29 Model A Roadster
My white GT350R, really no complaints. Its a jaw dropping car. Oh okay I so I found a little scuff mark near the rear wing. Its still a 10

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
Picked mine up yesterday, although I haven't washed it yet it seems as perfect as you could ask. Dealer really rushed the cleanup for me as to get it to me for weekend, paint looks great! No peal,,, I'll wash and wax in the next day or two but a 10 on delivery..
image.jpeg
Sponsored