UPR or Bob's Oil Catch Can

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
As with most mods, you should figure out your goal.

As has been mentioned above, the PCV system is INTENDED to suck oil vapor out of the crank case and burn it in the engine. It prevents pressure in the crank case from forcing oil vapor past various seals and into the air. It is much cleaner if that vapor is evacuated and burned (or drained back into the pan as mentioned above).

If you have a direct injected car, that oil coming through the intake can stick to the intake valves and get cooked on, leaving a hard residue that will gradually reduce airflow.

If you have a port injected car, the fuel spray will wash away the oil residue, taking it into the engine where it is burned.

Sometimes, especially during hard cornering, a bolus of oil can get sucked into the PCV system. If this mass of oil makes its way to the intake, it can foul the airflow sensor and cause the car to go into limp mode. I'm not aware of this happening in the Mustang, but it did happen to my friend's Gen V Viper, and almost caused him to get rear-ended on track, as his car suddenly slowed on corner exit.

So, decide if you care about any of those possible outcomes, and that will help you determine if a catch can/separator is something that would give you peace-of-mind.

Because the Voodoo is port injected, I don't see a need for a catch to prevent build-up on the valves, since the fuel already takes care of that.

The detonation issue is interesting. My 1984 Nissan pickup may have had that type of issue. I could shut off the ignition on that car, and it would continue to idle (maybe due to hot spots allowing the engine to self detonate). I'd have to put the car in gear and pop the clutch in order to stall the car. I don't think that would be much of an issue on a modern car, but a separator certainly wouldn't hurt.

Still, it seems like the biggest reason to get one is to prevent oil from getting into the intake and causing a limp-mode condition while on track. The small amount of oil that otherwise gets ingested has a negligible effect on performance, as indicated by the fact that no MFR sees fit to include a separator from the factory. The (essentially) zero performance gain is not worth the maintenance headache for the average consumer.

I have the UPR setup on my car, and have been impressed with the quality of components and the relative ease of use. I did include some installation photos in my "GT350 Experience" thread.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45304

I have also heard good things about the Bob's system, but when I bought my separator, it wasn't yet a complete kit so the choice of UPR was easy. I think the UPR system is very nice and have no problem recommending it to those interested in a catch can.

If you don't think you require a catch can based on your driving situation, you're probably right.

-T
How much oil is your UPR collecting ? My OEM is barely getting maybe 1/4 of it's volume, if that , in 3-4k miles, track days included ?

Thanks
Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So if I am interpreting the above comments correctly, the only reason Ford recommends installing catch cans is to prevent limp mode on the track (no, not a cooler issue!) and some decreased performance based on oil mixed with air-fuel that might affect engine performance on the track as well? Agree with your logic that the vast number of GT350s not tracked will get little if any long term benefit but for a high revving engine that demands spirited driving, legally of course, seems like a cheap add-on.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Bumping this thread, I take it UPR is better than Bob's? Seems like Bob's require you to cut some hoses and you cannot go back to stock? Also UPR has some check valve that adds extra safety?

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Well I will put my two cents. I recently and I mean recently installed Ford's FRP can. I looked at bob's (249) and I looked at UPR's (350) ? and decided that though they were both nice, its still a oil catch can. I actually did a write up called Ford's FRP can up close.
Its a very well made, has a large thick screen and though emptying may not be as easy as the others, it went on easily, no cutting hoses, and as others have said, looks like it should have came with the car.

In the end, I think all of the cans work well. The FRP ran me 137 from Autonation Ford WhiteBear Lake...my old link said it use to be Tousley Ford depot parts..but at any rate I like it on my car.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
But to drain FRP, its a pain in the rear right? Thats the whole point of these other ones. Also the frp uses mesh filters which will eventually wear

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Better? I'm not certain that's the best way to describe any of the offerings currently on the market. I suppose the best choice is simply what works best for you be it JLT, FRP, UPR or Bob's.

In my case I narrowed it down to FRP (back when they first hit the market) and Bob's. I was looking for something that was OEM in nature, such that it didn't attract a lot of attention, and filtered well. Also of importance - a drain. The FRP separators worked well but without a simple drain I chose to try another. Because I had used Bob's in the past on a GT500, I tried them again. I purchased the "Ultimate" kit which uses some very nice braided line and AN-style fittings. For me, I like the ability to cut the hoses to a custom length such that I could route them the way I wanted. You do reuse the 90* fittings from the stock hoses - not a concern (you can buy new lines from Ford to pilfer the ends if you want to save your stock hose assemblies). Everything worked perfectly and I'm very happy that I can quickly drain them when necessary.

There are a number of individuals happy with the UPR hoses. I never considered them based on some of their business practices in the past. If you've been involved in the game for a long time you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. If that means nothing to you and you like what they have to offer by all means, try them.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But to drain FRP, its a pain in the rear right? Thats the whole point of these other ones. Also the frp uses mesh filters which will eventually wear
It isn't overly difficult to drain the FRP separators. But it certainly isn't as quick as some of the others. The mesh coalescing filter doesn't wear and will easily last the lifetime of the vehicle.

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
I like the juggernaut power ones, big reservoir on passenger side , so less frequent need to empty and great hoses, just a pain to figure out which bolt to remove to install, once that was figured out a real breeze

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Better? I'm not certain that's the best way to describe any of the offerings currently on the market. I suppose the best choice is simply what works best for you be it JLT, FRP, UPR or Bob's.

In my case I narrowed it down to FRP (back when they first hit the market) and Bob's. I was looking for something that was OEM in nature, such that it didn't attract a lot of attention, and filtered well. Also of importance - a drain. The FRP separators worked well but without a simple drain I chose to try another. Because I had used Bob's in the past on a GT500, I tried them again. I purchased the "Ultimate" kit which uses some very nice braided line and AN-style fittings. For me, I like the ability to cut the hoses to a custom length such that I could route them the way I wanted. You do reuse the 90* fittings from the stock hoses - not a concern (you can buy new lines from Ford to pilfer the ends if you want to save your stock hose assemblies). Everything worked perfectly and I'm very happy that I can quickly drain them when necessary.

There are a number of individuals happy with the UPR hoses. I never considered them based on some of their business practices in the past. If you've been involved in the game for a long time you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. If that means nothing to you and you like what they have to offer by all means, try them.

Thank you for your detailed response, can you elaborate on the business practices comment? Feel free to PM me if you dont want to post publicly. I dont know anything about the companies for me the ability to go back to stock is key though.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't want to dissuade you from making a choice that you feel fits your needs as there are quite a few options with respect to oil separators. I can only say that UPR has a bit of a reputation and if you spend some time Googling you'll see exactly what I'm referring to. As far as ease of returning to stock the JLT, FRP, and UPR will all allow you to do this fairly quickly. Bob's is no different - if you don't cut your original hose assemblies to get the ends from them.

Sponsored

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I don't want to dissuade you from making a choice that you feel fits your needs as there are quite a few options with respect to oil separators. I can only say that UPR has a bit of a reputation and if you spend some time Googling you'll see exactly what I'm referring to. As far as ease of returning to stock the JLT, FRP, and UPR will all allow you to do this fairly quickly. Bob's is no different - if you don't cut your original hose assemblies to get the ends from them.
I honestly googled "upr review" "upr mustang review" "upr feedback" in google and couldnt see anything negative. Maybe you have a specific incident that you know about.

I was also browsing ford parts website, what exactly is the hose ends called? I could only find pcv valve hose or pcv valve tube but i m not sure if this is what I need.

Also, does the bob's come with the hose and you just cut it to le gth or do you need to reuse and cut the factory hose?

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I was reading the product description for bob's and it says it comes with everything you need to install it. Maybe this is why they increased the price to $500 and now everything is included?

The other question is how do you empty Bob's? I see it has two canisters that screw on each other. Both have hose connections that go in. So do you need to remove the bottom hose and then screw the canister out or is there a drain valve underneath. It seems like UPR can be drained easily by simply screwing the bottom canister off.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I put the two Ford Perf catch cans on my 2016 TP the day I took it home. I haven't found them challenging to maintain.

To empty the units, leave them in place and use a 4mm Allen key to remove the four screws that hold the lid on, suck the oil out with a turkey baster, wipe the lower tank with a clean rag, screw the lid back on. That's it.

It takes about 10 minutes for both.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Poor terms. There is a plethora. Try "UPR garbage" "UPR copied MGW" "UPR copied Fiore" "UPR junk" etc, etc. They obviously don't like it when anyone brings up their past. Neither do any of the companies that had their products copied and either produced offshore (which they always deny) or replicated with cut corners and a commensurate drop in price.

Not trying to turn this in an anti-UPR thread. As I said, there are a number of individuals that are happy with their separator. For me, knowing what I know about the things they have done, no way, no how.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
I tried Bobs on my GT and it wouldnt fit. They said i had and incorrect bracket so i sent mine back on my dime and they sent me one that wasnt finished and fit worse. I spent a lot of time, money, and machine work to try to get it to fit. It never did and the spots it came close to fitting would of blocked draining. If i went any further it would of changed everything so much i wouldnt be able to resell it so i cut my losses there.

Bobs was a great quality piece but how they disregarded me and the bad qc it will be a long time until i go back.

Im using upr now but it hasnt been long enough to truely rate it. I skipped jlt because i feel it is only a cosmetic piece
Sponsored