Sponsored

UPR Dual valve catch can 900 miles 0 oil drop?

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
Same I have about 500 miles on mine not a single drop. I even Removed the Catch Can and looked into of it and saw no a single trace of oil residue.
Sponsored

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
Most people are not seeing anything in their catch cans and it's making me wonder why so many people recommend them.....

Not sure if they're getting kick backs from these companies or what, but they do not seem like a necessity on our car.:shrug:

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
Ya a bit dissapointed to see the can was clean with no oil residue.

DaleH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost 50 Anniversary Convertible
I'm wondering too whether the problems that originally created the need for these have been remedied by Ford. I haven't put enough miles on my Mustang yet to really draw a conclusion.

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
I can only speak from my experience but mine catches oil. A very small amount, maybe 1/2 ounce every 1000 miles, consistently. Been that way for the past 16,000 miles.

Sponsored

Elvis has a Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Convertible 50 Years Edition
Has anyone actually proven that there is problem with carbon build up and the need for a catch can with this particular engine? I done a few Google searches and have never found anything about a Ford engine actually having it. Everything I have found show's pictures of a European OEM engine, but never a Ford? I have found where Ford beat the ever living shit out of a 3.5L Ecoboost and then opened it up to see what it looked like at the Detroit Auto Show a few years ago, but that's it. :shrug:

medic_cop15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Well take the chance and see what your intake valves look like when you hit 30k miles. Me personally, of rather be safe than sorry.

sent from my Oneplus One via tapatalk

Elvis has a Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh hell yea, that's the answer I was looking for! :frusty:

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
'Elvis': Google 'catch can carbon buildup'...you will find a lot of comments about carbon build up on direct injection engines (e.g. EB) versus port injection. With the EB, the valves don't get washed by direct injection as much as port injection. And any oil circulating back onto the valves is going to slowly carbonize unto them. The only real way to clean the carbon off is head removal and crushed walnut blasting. Most of the carbon buildup takes a couple of 10's of thousands of miles. But I considered $100-300 a cheap solution to this problem by installing a dual valve catch can.

Elvis has a Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I have already done. What I'm looking for is, specific info about the Ecoboost. I have found the difference between a direct injected engine and a regular fuel injected engine. I'm curious how Ford was able to tear one apart after beating it for 160,000 miles and it show no significant build up. Do we know for sure that Ford hasn't addressed this already with something internal?

Sponsored

medic_cop15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
That's what I have already done. What I'm looking for is, specific info about the Ecoboost. I have found the difference between a direct injected engine and a regular fuel injected engine. I'm curious how Ford was able to tear one apart after beating it for 160,000 miles and it show no significant build up. Do we know for sure that Ford hasn't addressed this already with something internal?
Correct me if I'm wrong but in that video it showed the ecoboost motor being beat to hell right? Pushed to the limit for basically all 160,000 miles? If that's the case then the oil would not have a chance to build up. The intake valves getting clogged up occurs during normal non spirited driving.

Elvis has a Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually read an article from Ford on it and haven't seen a video. They used it to tow max payloads at extreme desert temps and cold arctic temps. I believe there defiantly was some beating on it, but to what extent, I don't know. We all may good to go. It's kind of hard not to drive these cars in spirited way.

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT Competition Orange
Correct me if I'm wrong but in that video it showed the ecoboost motor being beat to hell right? Pushed to the limit for basically all 160,000 miles? If that's the case then the oil would not have a chance to build up. The intake valves getting clogged up occurs during normal non spirited driving.

From what I've been able to find out, the torture test was done on a 2011 Ford F-150 with a 3.7L V6 engine which doesn't seem to be DI, but is sequential multiport. I also watched a teardown video of the engine, and the cylinder head only shows a sparkplug in the head, no fuel injector.

Despite what some say, I don't really believe that an "italian tuneup", ie. driving spirited, does much good at keeping intake valves clean in a GDI engine. The ĂŻtalian tuneeup" is all about getting the engine hot enough that the fuel would burn off any contaminants, including carbon from the inside of the engine. Unfortunately, there's nothing to burn the carbon off the intake valves. Just running the engine hard does nothing but pass more air, and, without a catchcan, more oil vapors past the intake valves. Here's a link of a mechanic talking about Ecoboost engines. In the video he talks about the fact that the intake valves for cylinders 2 & 3 seem to have heavier carbon deposits that 1 & 4 (he shows pics from all 4 cylinders), and theorizes that it's because the point at which the crankcase vapors from the PCV system enter the intake manifold is in front of cylinders 2 & 3; [ame]

All of this makes a lot of sense to me. In later Youtube videos, he seems to try to blame other factors on the valve deposits, but his reasoning in the other videos doesn't make as much sense to me as the one above.

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Sorry I have not gotten involved sooner. I will layout a nice UPR 2015+ Ecoboost Mustang Dual Valve Catch Can Routing Diagram and I will also give you more information on the things we have all been finding.

This has been between cars driven soft and hard with and without mods etc.

Joe

JWC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 oxford white ecoboost 6 spd base
Sorry I have not gotten involved sooner. I will layout a nice UPR 2015+ Ecoboost Mustang Dual Valve Catch Can Routing Diagram and I will also give you more information on the things we have all been finding.

This has been between cars driven soft and hard with and without mods etc.

Joe
I'm interested to see what you have been finding, thanks
Sponsored