Upgrading axle to catback, worth it?

VaasL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pablo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Ecoboost Convertible
After 1 year it has come to my attention that my car was fitted with a roush axle-back instead of a catback by accident….

Is it worth sourcing or making the missing pipes and having these replaced in terms of performance, or is it really not that much of a difference?

I got an EB with lund tune and mishimoto catted downpipe, intercooler and charge pipes.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Performance wise it doesn't make any difference really. You can do a whole catback for more sound if you want though.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I think you'd gain a few horsepower if the cat-back provided a freer flow than the axle-back that was patched on to the OEM pipes. But the gain would too little to justify paying to make the change.

sjmurphy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Magnetic
You could get most of the way to the catback by just swapping out the resonator for an x or h pipe. You may gain a little bit of power by doing that, but like others said you probably won't notice it. The exhaust will be a lot louder though especially with the roush mufflers. So if you're going for louder go for it.

edit: just realized this was for and ecoboost. I'm not sure if the resonator setup is the same or not for ecoboosts, so I could be way wrong lol. Also probably won't be an x or h pipe, but rather a Y pipe.

Last edited:

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Take it to a muffler shop and remove the section from the downpipe to the resonators and install the same size pipe as the downpipe.
Sponsored