Upgrading 8" Screen with GPS

PHILTHY_PONY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
I have a buddy that bought a 2019 PP2 this year and it has the 8" screen but he said he doesn't have GPS, I have the 4" screen so I have no idea if the larger set ups have GPS or if some are just stereo. If they're the larger screen would they not have GPS built in or is that an upgrade above getting just the 8" screen stereo? Any info would be great as he grabbed a screen from a buddy with GPS and I was going to get his 8" screen for nice audio set up, only thing is he would need more then just the screen id assume if he didn't have GPS already.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I have a buddy that bought a 2019 PP2 this year and it has the 8" screen but he said he doesn't have GPS, I have the 4" screen so I have no idea if the larger set ups have GPS or if some are just stereo. If they're the larger screen would they not have GPS built in or is that an upgrade above getting just the 8" screen stereo? Any info would be great as he grabbed a screen from a buddy with GPS and I was going to get his 8" screen for nice audio set up, only thing is he would need more then just the screen id assume if he didn't have GPS already.
Navigation is an option to the 8” Sync 3 system. It’s easy to add navigation to your friends system.

https://www.4dtech.com/mustang-2019-navigation-upgrade-for-sync-3/

There are less expensive options by going to ebay as well.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Sync 3 is the larger screen. Navigation is an additional option / cost from the factory. The screen itself is literally just a screen that plugs into the APIM. The APIM is the computer. That APIM, for Sync 3, can be navigation equipped or not - you can decipher this by looking at the engineering / part # on the APIM itself.

Check out the Sync 3 upgrade thread here on the forum to see pictures / example part numbers that show you this difference.

The factory Ford navigation is limited, unless you want to pay for / find / factory map updates. My wife's '17 EB Premium ragtop has Nav and Sync 3. She never uses the factory Navigation - she uses her phone and Apple Car play for navigation.

If you have a '20 Mustang with the small screen (regular Sync) you can upgrade to Sync 3 by just finding the screen and the accompanying APIM that goes with it - Nav or not. It literally plugs right up with the only changes that need to be made using FORSCAN to program your car so it recognizes it. You will also need to bezel / trim piece that is installed with the bigger screen. This piece houses your radio / climate controls.

The Sync 3 bezel (most) will have the controls for dual climate control and heated / cooled seats. You can swap this on to your car - the temp controls will work (it won't magically give you dual climate control) but of course the heated / cooled seat controls will not work. Some people don't like having these controls installed when they don't have those options. In that case you can search for a trim piece that does not have the heated / cooled seats. They are much harder to find used and pretty pricey new.

Check the Sync 3 thread.

I literally swapped to Sync 3 in my base '19 GT and also enabled drive modes for a few hundred dollar. Works great. Been using it since my car was a few weeks old.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OK, just to clarify, the 8" screen does not need to be replaced. The APIM will need to be swapped out.

I did not offer an opinion as to whether or not the Ford Nav was worth it or not because one was not asked for. But since others have jumped in let me say I have it, use it and have no issues with it. I also use Waze and Google Maps for traffic info. Both of these apps work great so long as you have a signal. I have had occasions in the past where I either had no signal or low signal and had to use the Ford nav system. And yes, there is a cost for map updates. SOP for any car manufacturers system. And yes, the factory maps are also a year or so behind. Nothing new there either. Honestly unless you know you're heading somewhere that has had many recent changes it doesn't really matter. The choice is your friends.

OP
OP
PHILTHY_PONY

PHILTHY_PONY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Navigation is an option to the 8” Sync 3 system. It’s easy to add navigation to your friends system.

https://www.4dtech.com/mustang-2019-navigation-upgrade-for-sync-3/

There are less expensive options by going to ebay as well.
He actually was given the GPS model screen as he just has the screen for radio no GPS, I'm guessing that he just needs the main brain for it as that's where GPS is actually stored not the screen.
I've got the cheap 4" screen and I was going to buy his screen just for better looking dash for radio etc don't care about the GPS really, I would need the sync module i assume and definitely the dash piece.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PHILTHY_PONY

PHILTHY_PONY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Sync 3 is the larger screen. Navigation is an additional option / cost from the factory. The screen itself is literally just a screen that plugs into the APIM. The APIM is the computer. That APIM, for Sync 3, can be navigation equipped or not - you can decipher this by looking at the engineering / part # on the APIM itself.

Check out the Sync 3 upgrade thread here on the forum to see pictures / example part numbers that show you this difference.

The factory Ford navigation is limited, unless you want to pay for / find / factory map updates. My wife's '17 EB Premium ragtop has Nav and Sync 3. She never uses the factory Navigation - she uses her phone and Apple Car play for navigation.

If you have a '20 Mustang with the small screen (regular Sync) you can upgrade to Sync 3 by just finding the screen and the accompanying APIM that goes with it - Nav or not. It literally plugs right up with the only changes that need to be made using FORSCAN to program your car so it recognizes it. You will also need to bezel / trim piece that is installed with the bigger screen. This piece houses your radio / climate controls.

The Sync 3 bezel (most) will have the controls for dual climate control and heated / cooled seats. You can swap this on to your car - the temp controls will work (it won't magically give you dual climate control) but of course the heated / cooled seat controls will not work. Some people don't like having these controls installed when they don't have those options. In that case you can search for a trim piece that does not have the heated / cooled seats. They are much harder to find used and pretty pricey new.

Check the Sync 3 thread.

I literally swapped to Sync 3 in my base '19 GT and also enabled drive modes for a few hundred dollar. Works great. Been using it since my car was a few weeks old.
Thanks for the info I figured I'd just need the sync 3 module and dash trim for me to upgrade, I have forscan I've just never used it was afraid to screw shit up but I recently bought bdx tuner and tuned the car so I guess it can't be much more harder as long as I have proper coding when changing things. Lol

OP
OP
PHILTHY_PONY

PHILTHY_PONY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt

Check the Sync 3 thread.

When you say enabled drive modes what do you mean, like you were able to get that switch to actually function for something? I've got forscan done quite a bit even recently jailbroke my sync 3 so now I can use custom backgrounds nich of other shit I just haven't gotten into that much but the hard parts done. Lol

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Thats a lot of money, contact Tom Hextall he is on this forum. He may buy the non NAV APIM from you to offset some of the money for the Nav APIM.
4DTech will purchase your old APIM, cutting the final cost by $100. I used them to upgrade my previous Mustang from Sync 2 to Sync 3. They made it real easy to install with their videos and provided the Sync 3 updates as they became available. I knew others saved money by going the piecemeal route in gathering everything needed, but to me it was worth the extra money to have 4DTech supply everything I needed and have it plug and play ready.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4DTech will purchase your old APIM, cutting the final cost by $100. I used them to upgrade my previous Mustang from Sync 2 to Sync 3. They made it real easy to install with their videos and provided the Sync 3 updates as they became available. I knew others saved money by going the piecemeal route in gathering everything needed, but to me it was worth the extra money to have 4DTech supply everything I needed and have it plug and play ready.

To be honest 4DTech is way over priced. I put my 4-8" screen conversion together for under $700.00. Just do some research and call some boneyards in your area for wrecked Mustangs. I found mine off of a 2019 Ecoboost Premium. Got the doorpanels (soft touch), the 8" screen-APIM and Bezel for $450. I exchanged my non nav APIM with Hextall for $300 and he programmed my Forscan for an additional $35.

Sponsored

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
To be honest 4DTech is way over priced. I put my 4-8" screen conversion together for under $700.00. Just do some research and call some boneyards in your area for wrecked Mustangs. I found mine off of a 2019 Ecoboost Premium. Got the doorpanels (soft touch), the 8" screen-APIM and Bezel for $450. I exchanged my non nav APIM with Hextall for $300 and he programmed my Forscan for an additional $35.
What you described is why I went with 4DTech. It is not worth the savings to go through all that.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you described is why I went with 4DTech. It is not worth the savings to go through all that.
Saving a $1000 isn't worth it...OK.