Upgraded sway bars for Mach 1?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
So I've had the car now for about 2 years and have always wished for a little bit more stiffness in the corners. I do not want to mess with different springs but would consider some beefier sway bars, I put GT350R bars on my 2018 GT and loved that upgrade. Here's what I have been able to cobble together as far as stock suspensions for the various Mustang trims:

PP1 w/o MRMach 1Mach 1 HPGT350 (2019+)GT350R
Front springs165 lb194 lb211 lb211 lb240 lb
Rear springs728 lb657 lb742 lb857 lb914 lb
Front sway32.0mm solid33.3 x 5.0mm wall33.3 x 5.0mm wall34 x 5.7mm wall34 x 4.8mm wall
Rear sway22.2mm solid24 x 3.6mm wall24mm solid24 x 3.6mm wall24 x 3.6mm wall

I do like sticking with Ford Performance parts whenever it makes sense and they have a track sway bar kit M-5490-G with 37 mm front and 25.2 mm rear bars. I understand how stiffening them randomly can upset the suspension performance, and don't know enough to make an educated decision.

Any Mach owners happen to try these, or other upgraded sway bars?
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Fighter jet grey
Can not answer your question, but I also am from Pittsburgh and have a 2022 Mach 1. Are there any Mustang clubs or events in the Pittsbugh area that you are aware of?

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
Been a while since I lived in the 'burgh, but Steel City Mustangs was active last time I was there.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The Greater Pittsburgh Mustang Club is affiliated with Mustang Club of America:

https://gpmc.org/

There are a bunch of other clubs like Steel City as well, look for them on Facebook, they seem to be more based on where members live.

Events are pretty much wrapped up for the year.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Fighter jet grey
Thanks. I can not attend events this year since I am recovering from back surgery. Next spring I plan on attending the events

Sponsored

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
I haven't tried the sway bars but I did put on the Steeda Ultralite 2-Point G-Trac Brace. It did help to stiffen up the front suspension but most noticeably eased off the tramlining when you have the track camber set. Not sure what the difference would be with sway bars or with both of these mounted? So far, I was pretty happy with the handling. Note I also added the rear IRS support braces.

IMG_6708.jpg

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
Note I also added the rear IRS support braces.
Hopefully not too much of a sidetrack, but could you tell a big difference with the IRS support? I could tell a big difference when I added the BMR lockouts to my PP2. My M1HP is all stock but handles way better than my PP2 did. I've been wondering if the lockouts or support braces would make a difference considering how well it handles already.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Here's what I have been able to cobble together as far as stock suspensions for the various Mustang trims:
Are you suuure the PP1 bars are solid? They didn't used to be (mine were not on my '16). A solid 32mm bar would be quite heavy and very stiff.

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
Hopefully not too much of a sidetrack, but could you tell a big difference with the IRS support? I could tell a big difference when I added the BMR lockouts to my PP2. My M1HP is all stock but handles way better than my PP2 did. I've been wondering if the lockouts or support braces would make a difference considering how well it handles already.
The IRS braces does stiffen the rear so you have to be more careful with oversteer. In other words, my back felt less stable than before. But I am sure that with these 2 additions, helped with my better lap times.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Wow so not a lot of traffic in this thread, guess we are all still figuring sway bars out for HP cars...

Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Wow so not a lot of traffic in this thread, guess we are all still figuring sway bars out for HP cars...
Mike,

I asked this question to Steeda, regarding the sway bars. Here is the reply:

I spoke to our resident Mach 1 expert & this is the advice he has provided:

In my experience, the front bar is good for most uses including track days. The rear bar is too stiff, it just does not allow the rear suspension to move properly for autocross or track use. The car will be in a constant oversteer condition due this bar. Some people like this feeling, but I do not. This applies to stock springs for either version of the Mach1 or any springs with a higher rate, like our dual rates.

If you are going to be doing several track days/events a year, I would recommend both bars. Otherwise, just do the rear.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mike,

I asked this question to Steeda, regarding the sway bars. Here is the reply:

I spoke to our resident Mach 1 expert & this is the advice he has provided:

In my experience, the front bar is good for most uses including track days. The rear bar is too stiff, it just does not allow the rear suspension to move properly for autocross or track use. The car will be in a constant oversteer condition due this bar. Some people like this feeling, but I do not. This applies to stock springs for either version of the Mach1 or any springs with a higher rate, like our dual rates.

If you are going to be doing several track days/events a year, I would recommend both bars. Otherwise, just do the rear.
Hmm, this doesn't really make sense to me. Guess it would make more sense if I knew which specific bars they were referring to when they say "If you are going to be doing several track days/events a year, I would recommend both bars." Especially when earlier in the message they say the front is fine for track days.

Stiffer front bar = more understeer, stiffer rear bar = more oversteer. So when they said "otherwise just do the rear" do they mean make it LESS stiff since they are complaining about too much oversteer???

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Hmm, this doesn't really make sense to me. Guess it would make more sense if I knew which specific bars they were referring to when they say "If you are going to be doing several track days/events a year, I would recommend both bars." Especially when earlier in the message they say the front is fine for track days.

Stiffer front bar = more understeer, stiffer rear bar = more oversteer. So when they said "otherwise just do the rear" do they mean make it LESS stiff since they are complaining about too much oversteer???
Mike,

He was referring to these bars:
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-front-and-rear-sway-bar-kit-2015-555-1017.html

As far as the understeer/oversteer, that would have to go back to Steeda. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to hit any tracks, or change sway bars.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mike,

He was referring to these bars:
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-front-and-rear-sway-bar-kit-2015-555-1017.html

As far as the understeer/oversteer, that would have to go back to Steeda. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to hit any tracks, or change sway bars.
OK, that does make more sense if that's what the first paragraph is talking about - that Steeda rear bar is REALLY thick (4.6 mm thicker than the stock HP bar while the front is only 1.7 mm thicker than the stock HP bar). So if you put on both bars you'd expect the car to exhibit more oversteer.

If your question to the them was "would this kit reduce understeer with a stock non-HP Mach", then I would also understand them saying only do the rear bar if you're not going to the track.

JFBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The FP Magneride Handling Pack has similar spring rates to the Mach 1 HP and includes the FP track bars. Most people seem pretty happy with it. I'm going to order it myself here soon. I know the GT350 guys have used them as well so it might show up in the search over there.

Don't see why it would upset how the car handles. May make the car "sharper" and more prone to rotation though.
Sponsored