Sponsored

Undriveable Rev Hang with JLT CAI and BAMA tune. (2020 PP2)

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
Please forgive me if this is a solved issue, I tried searching but did not find much.

I purchased the JLT CAI and an SCT-X4 for my 2020 PP2 with lifetime tunes from BAMA Performance. After install and flash, the rev hang was unbearable. 4 tunes later BAMA could not make it work so I threw my hands in the air and flashed it back to stock I bolted the stock airbox back on. (I thought they fixed it but it after a few starts it was back.

I had a lot of trouble explaining to BAMA the issue at first (rev hang was a term I have learned during this all this) and despite my lengthy explanation and a video demonstration it seemed to fall on deaf ears because they sent me a tune with Rev Match completely disabled. I nearly lost my shit!

A supervisor took over the work and after 2-3 more tunes, another video, data-logging it, and cleaning the MAF sensor it was still there. The BAMA tuner did mention it was running rich at some point, but I have no idea what he was talking about and it still wasn't fixed.

Now I still get some rev hang, as I've read others have too, but it is only after heavy throttle application, sometimes, and no where near as persistent as it was with the tune. Rev Match works fine.

I don't know if I should keep trying with BAMA, buy another tune but from Lund, or find a local shop willing to dial it in ($$$$). Any help would be appreciated.

Video #1: First video (bit long winded but you'll see.

Video 2: Video #2
Sponsored

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Willing to bet it's the BAMA tune. They're not very reputable these days.

OP
OP
Littleredd

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
Lol, they sent me 93 tunes at first instead of 91 as requested (no 93 in my area), maybe that should have been a sign...

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Would highly recommend going with a reputable tuner that can get it fixed no problem such as AED, Lund or PBD. You already have a SCT device AED tunes using SCT. Would also recommend keeping the stock cai as it flows efficiently and keeps iats down. And if its available in your area I would tune for e85 or at least flex tune as it makes the car a completely different animal.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Unleashed Tuning, or Steeda. But I would have someone competent check your intake system for leaks. Did you properly cap the PCV ports and other tubes?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Littleredd

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
Ah, I followed the instructions? Not sure what you mean by "properly cap", one of the tube connections was at a very awkward angle but I got it connected (I thought).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
there are what, 3 ports and 1 sensor and you also had to disconnect the tube from the TB. All of them are easy sources for leaks. Not sure if it works on something as big as a V8 but spray ether or carb cleaner around each of the holes one at a time and see if the RPMs change. If they do then you've found your leak.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Willing to bet it's the BAMA tune. They're not very reputable these days.
who uses Bama anymore at all, these guys have been trash since the 3 valve days. I could make a list of the problems they had and the tuners that have run them into the ground

OP
OP
Littleredd

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
Thanks for the tip. When I get around to getting a proper tune I will do that.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Lol, they sent me 93 tunes at first instead of 91 as requested (no 93 in my area), maybe that should have been a sign...
bud they are the main reason why cylinder 8 was a huge deal back in 2010

they had to replace a few dozen customers engines and ended offering a cylinder 8 warranty lol

here is the short story Ford back in 2010 thought it would be a great idea to flatten out the tq curve by leaning the afr to 14:1 at part and wot, they would use the knock sensors to save the engine. This really isn’t ideal and it did result in stock engines going boom. The aftermarket at the time didn’t fully understand knocks sensors, the considerably more advanced VCT system and copperhead ecu “be aware the 2010 gt500 was the first mustang to have knock sensors and why it’s considered the black sheep gt500 bad ecu setup”.
This resulted into Sct desensitizing the knock sensors in there canned tunes that they released, at the time mike Wilson was the head tuner and his fat butt couldn’t tune a lawnmower, he used the canned tunes as a base and modded them for customers cars. And the rest is history he even got involved in stealing base tune files from Shaun at AED

it was a fun time to be on the forums

Sponsored
OP
OP
Littleredd

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
bud they are the main reason why cylinder 8 was a huge deal back in 2010

they had to replace a few dozen customers engines and ended offering a cylinder 8 warranty lol

here is the short story Ford back in 2010 thought it would be a great idea to flatten out the tq curve by leaning the afr to 14:1 at part and wot, they would use the knock sensors to save the engine. This really isn’t ideal and it did result in stock engines going boom. The aftermarket at the time didn’t fully understand knocks sensors, the considerably more advanced VCT system and copperhead ecu “be aware the 2010 gt500 was the first mustang to have knock sensors and why it’s considered the black sheep gt500 bad ecu setup”.
This resulted into Sct desensitizing the knock sensors in there canned tunes that they released, at the time mike Wilson was the head tuner and his fat butt couldn’t tune a lawnmower, he used the canned tunes as a base and modded them for customers cars. And the rest is history he even got involved in stealing base tune files from Shaun at AED

it was a fun time to be on the forums
Yeah, sounds like a blast...

I had no idea. I was excited and just picked one not knowing what a PITA it would be.

Now I know.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Wow bama tune. They’re still in business? American Muscle still pushing those?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You most likly have a mechanical issue. I'd find a local shop that uses SCT software and get it dyno tuned. They will find the problem then tune it.

Email tunes are fine until you have a problem. It's hard to describe a problem through e mail or phone calls. Much easier to take the car to the tuner and show them the issue.

NowhereFast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem. PP, 1999 WS6,2010 Expedition
You most likly have a mechanical issue. I'd find a local shop that uses SCT software and get it dyno tuned. They will find the problem then tune it.

Email tunes are fine until you have a problem. It's hard to describe a problem through e mail or phone calls. Much easier to take the car to the tuner and show them the issue.
BAMA blows nuts, brand new car doesn't magically have issues after a tune that aren't tune related.

OP, contact Lund and get a real tune for the car. Dakota has been tuning my Turbo GT, and the thing drives as good as it did stock.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
@ op

Installed a Roush. CAI and their tune for same, not one problem incurred. Well, there is one cannot keep my foot out of it.

All kidding aside, what you are posting, is not good. It is obvious they are not that sharp. And frankly you did not buy a car for them to develop a working tune to sell themselves down the road.

That's a 2020 PP2 your driving .....buy your performance from an outfit that is current with the technology .

Blow up the motor burn some pistons you got nothing. A company such as Roush, the warranty will not be affected.

And pray the code installed by them is reversible,

Best of luck
Sponsored