Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

As many know i recently put my new alloys on from [MENTION=21881]MustangMustHaves[/MENTION] and i'll post a separate point on this later, however, for now I want to ask for the more experienced peoples opinions here regarding tyre bulges.

Me, with my current financial planning wanted to keep the current tyres (2x mpss and 2x pzero, both 255/40/zr19 sitting on the stock 19x8.5) rather than fork out 1k on new tyres.

Anyway i took the car to Selectatyre in Ashbourne, i'd cleaned the car on the day before (It's about a 20mile drive up to my girlfriends and a mile from hers to selectatyre, so i'd driven 21miles since cleaning, over roads i've always driven on, nothing new on them no changes etc).

When cleaning the car I noticed no bulge, when taking the car to Selectatyre before leaving I noticed no bulge. Now without getting into how monumentally shit this company were, i'll stick to the question...

The tyre was removed from my car, deflated, and place on the new alloy then re-inflated, when re-inflating a bulge appeared on the tyre, it was on one of the pzeros.

They refused to replace the tyre free of charge claiming i couldn't prove it was them who caused the bulge (either through fitting or over inflation). They pitched it to me as "you cant prove it so you have to buy a new tyre" as i wasn't comfortable driving on the tyre. Howeer they claimed the first thing they did was deflated the tyre so may not have seen it. After i'd paid i watched another car come in for the same thing, they inspected that tyre before replacing it, so i feel they were trying to hide it was their fault.

My quesiton to all of you is... Who is at fault? What causes bulges (I know rough roads can), but i've inspected the tyre and the tyre all is in perfect nick i see no damage to it, it wasn't one of my tyres previously affected by "satnavgate" lol.

The bulged rubber is wiht Pirelli on Monday and i'll have a claim submitted and they will refund me if they find it's Seletatrye who caused the damage.

P.s never use selectatyre they're fucking wankers (Not just for that), awful booking system, false promises, lots of complaints, high prices etc.
On a plus, they swapped my tyres inserted new valve stems and did it all for a grand total of the price of a tyre and didnt charge me the £50 fitting fee.... So dodged that one I guess....
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I'm no expert on what causes tyre failures so i'll leave that to those that are, but what I would say is that Pirelli will probably only test your tyre for manufacturing defects. I can't see how a tyre removal/refit could cause more stress than what it endures on the road so it must be near impossible to tell the cause. If they (Pirelli) even care beyond the manufacturing process.
Sorry you've had to go through all this sh*te over something as simple as swapping over tyres but if anyone's going to get a result it'll be you. We have a chain up here which has a similar bad rep and wouldn't go near them with someone else's wheels!

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I'm no expert on what causes tyre failures so i'll leave that to those that are, but what I would say is that Pirelli will probably only test your tyre for manufacturing defects. I can't see how a tyre removal/refit could cause more stress than what it endures on the road so it must be near impossible to tell the cause. If they (Pirelli) even care beyond the manufacturing process.
Sorry you've had to go through all this sh*te over something as simple as swapping over tyres but if anyone's going to get a result it'll be you. We have a chain up here which has a similar bad rep and wouldn't go near them with someone else's wheels!
To be honest, didn't know about their reputation, got back home and my Girlfriends dad then pipes up like "Nah theyre shocking, wouldnt have ever advised you to go there" lol.

I'm thinking either the fitting or inflating caused the bulge. It definitley was not there in the morning! ANd I'm sure i'd feel a bulge appear, not sure what Pirelli will do, nor do i car but im going to be like a hound on this shit.. and i didn't need that kind of added crap in my life lol!

MustangMustHaves

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
Euro 2016 Mustang Ecoboost MT Triple Yellow
I assume if you've seen it, the bulge is on the outside part of the tire? If so, chance is pretty big they just put in the tyre iron the far.

I know it's said that remounting a tire would be bad, etc. But with a soft tire (like the pirelli), it shouldn't be a problem at all. I'm not saying it's ok to do it with just any tire, f.e. with something like a PS4S in 295/30R20, I probably wouldn't. Those sidewalls are insane. But with the P zero in the sizes you had, it's not hard at all with the correct equipement. They come right off and the bead pops on nicely. At least one good thing to say about the P zero :D

Sponsored

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Well hopefully pirelli side with me, i'm writing to the ceo of Selectatyre tomorrow to express my anger and concerns, and if that doesn't go down well... Public bashing 101. I'll get that money back for my hassle one way or another... now off to buy a new valve stem lol!

JasonB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Were the tyres stretched to fit the wheel? That can cause a bulge very quickly, as the tyre wall is not working in the correct plane.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Don't really have any valuable input mate on this, as they say - it can't be proven either way so maybe not worth the hassle.

on this subject FWIW - I had an equally pi55 poor experience using "tyres on the drive" mobile service. Won't go in to details but would never use them again...

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Were the tyres stretched to fit the wheel? That can cause a bulge very quickly, as the tyre wall is not working in the correct plane.
Minorly stretched, guys said it shouldnt be an issue, mind you they are idiots.

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
For those that followed this...

Tyre went to Pirelli:
Pirelli's verdict was that it was a localised fracture of the casing cords. Not due to Manufacturing or tyre issues

Wrote to Pirelli to ask the causes and confirm what their verdict was:
They confirmed it would have been during the fitting process.

Selectatyre have now agreed to refund me...

So, result!

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Here's a pic of Manders, I took at the midland Meet...:D

OP
OP