Sponsored

Turbo Sound in Cabin

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
Since I've vented my CAI to the atmosphere it makes the iconic turbo woosh sound; the problem is that it travels into the cabin and makes a "ssssss" kind of sound and it stutters sometimes when the throttle isn't fully released. So it's like "ss sssss s ss" Is there any way to get rid of this sound altogether?
Sponsored

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
Put it back to stock. Nature of the beast. You do get used to it after a while.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Turbo sound with top up.

I usually put the top down after I leave my garage. This morning, I started up the EB and decided to drop the top. I also had the radio on fairly loudly.
The 'fake' sound was just about rattling the rafters. As I dropped the top...the fake V8 rumble went completely silent. The only sound was the radio.
I didn't realize just how much bass exhaust sound is generated when the top is up.

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
My Roush cold air intake does the same, it can be a bit annoying but yeah you do get used to it over time.

If I were to make a change I would probably go back to the stock box and use the green filter with Airaid modular intake tube.

As far as "sound" improvement, to me it's the exhaust (I love the Roush axle back) and not a sucking sound that is desirable.

hungryhippos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Since I've vented my CAI to the atmosphere it makes the iconic turbo woosh sound; the problem is that it travels into the cabin and makes a "ssssss" kind of sound and it stutters sometimes when the throttle isn't fully released.
Lets clarify some terms here first.

A CAI (cold air intake) doesn't vent anywhere, if it did. It would consider that a leak and a possible loss in power.

There are a couple sounds when it comes to turbos, the most iconic sound would be the the DV (Diverter Valve) or BOV (blow off valvue) venting out of the system vs being routed back into the intake, you usually hear this noise right after you lift off the accelerator.

There is also the sound the turbo makes itself, you usually hear the whine of the turbine as it spools and the woosh and sound from the intake itself if you have a cone filter.

So the question is, do you have a cold air intake, a blow off valve, or both?

So it's like "ss sssss s ss" Is there any way to get rid of this sound altogether?
go back to stock or get a recirculating diverter valve.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CommyO

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
Lets clarify some terms here first.

A CAI (cold air intake) doesn't vent anywhere, if it did. It would consider that a leak and a possible loss in power.

There are a couple sounds when it comes to turbos, the most iconic sound would be the the DV (Diverter Valve) or BOV (blow off valvue) venting out of the system vs being routed back into the intake, you usually hear this noise right after you lift off the accelerator.

There is also the sound the turbo makes itself, you usually hear the whine of the turbine as it spools and the woosh and sound from the intake itself if you have a cone filter.

So the question is, do you have a cold air intake, a blow off valve, or both?

go back to stock or get a recirculating diverter valve.
I have a cold air intake vented to the atmosphere which is basically the absence of a bov or diverter valve. Don't lecture me about turbo sounds... I know what I'm talking about and what I have. I was asking if there was a way to prevent the sound from travelling into the cabin via the speakers other than to go back to the stock airbox which I'm just not gonna do

butteroj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBPP
I have a cold air intake vented to the atmosphere which is basically the absence of a bov or diverter valve. Don't lecture me about turbo sounds... I know what I'm talking about and what I have. I was asking if there was a way to prevent the sound from travelling into the cabin via the speakers other than to go back to the stock airbox which I'm just not gonna do
:lol: :doh: :frusty: :eyebulge: :shrug: :crazy: :headbonk: :hitcomputer: :bolt:

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
TToTD

hungryhippos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
You don't have a DV or BOV so where is that air going? How is it being managed? if its making a noise, does that mean you just pulled the line and it's flowing into the engine bay? My question is, how many warning lights are you seeing on your dash and how is your car even moving? What you're describing is a car with a leak between the turbo and the intake manifold. You shouldn't even be making any power. If you capped the line, you shouldn't hear any sort of "blow off valve" noise as the air post turbo is stuck.

No sane person here is going to recommend you a way to kill that sound based on the fact you just described your car as having a air leak. Your tuner should clarify what exactly is going on with your car.

:lol: :doh: :frusty: :eyebulge: :shrug: :crazy: :headbonk: :hitcomputer: :bolt:
I'm kind scared of what will happen to his car to be honest, hate to see a engine take a shit because he installed a new intake without installing a new diverter valve.

edit:

Since I've vented my CAI to the atmosphere it makes the iconic turbo woosh sound; the problem is that it travels into the cabin and makes a "ssssss" kind of sound and it stutters sometimes when the throttle isn't fully released. So it's like "ss sssss s ss" Is there any way to get rid of this sound altogether?
The only safe way is to put back the original air intake setup, that "ssssssssss' sound you're hearing is the turbo pushing air into the engine bay because it isn't being managed properly. Any other answer given to you is one that will destroy your engine. If you want to keep the cold air intake, then reinstall the OE diverter valve into the cold air intake assuming there is a spot for it.

Last edited:

eXtremyst_v1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost PP
I'm not sure what the big deal is here... He just pulled the recirc hose, that's all. Only problem there is if he didn't plug the opening in the intake that's meant for that hose, which doesn't appear to be the case else, like you said, he wouldn't be making power. The factory dv remains untouched in a simple intake install.

As for the sounds, yeah, it stutters sometimes if you don't release the throttle completely. You'll also notice it blow off steadily at mid throttle 5th-6th gears to keep the car out of boost at low rpms and medium load. Adding a CAI really amplifies the sounds this car makes, the good and the eh.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CommyO

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
I'm not sure what the big deal is here... He just pulled the recirc hose, that's all. Only problem there is if he didn't plug the opening in the intake that's meant for that hose, which doesn't appear to be the case else, like you said, he wouldn't be making power. The factory dv remains untouched in a simple intake install.

As for the sounds, yeah, it stutters sometimes if you don't release the throttle completely. You'll also notice it blow off steadily at mid throttle 5th-6th gears to keep the car out of boost at low rpms and medium load. Adding a CAI really amplifies the sounds this car makes, the good and the eh.
Finally, someone who gets it. I have no recirculating tube and capped off the part of intake that would normally connect to the DV

So I guess I'll just have to get used to the sound then even though it's been on for months already... Not a big deal, just a quality of life kinda thing

hungryhippos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I have a cold air intake vented to the atmosphere which is basically the absence of a bov or diverter valve.
So is there a diverter valve installed or is there not? You haven't answered that question. The line that comes from the turbo, is it capped? It is going to an aftermarket diverter valve? is it going to the stock unit? Is it just venting into the engine freely? Are you using the right spring pressure? Did you get a tune? Is it a ots or custom?

Whatever your answer is, the noise is coming from that change you made of "venting the CAI to atmosphere". If you don't like the noise, recirculate it back into the intake, that line that you didn't install is the reason why it is making noise. If that answer isn't acceptable for you, then you're out of luck because that is how a turbo works, the air has to go somewhere and if it can't go into the intake manifold, it's gunna go out through where the DV was/is. No one is going to make a sound from a sound system to cancel out turbo noises.

You're making a changes to the car and not addressing these kinds of details so that people can help you. List the exact parts you're using and how you're using them and you might get a good answer. Leaving facts out doesn't help anyone and leads to these kinds of miscommunications. People here want to help, you just need to give them the info to help you.

edit:

Since I've vented my CAI to the atmosphere it makes the iconic turbo woosh sound

Out of curiosity, who taught you that venting a cold air intake into the atmosphere is a thing? If I'm wrong, I'll gladly suck it up, admit I'm wrong and learn something new but this is the first time I've heard of that term. Admittedly I'm new to the ecoboost platform but I've been building and driving cars with turbo systems for years now. Honestly, I have no clue what function a motor or turbo would need to vent a cold air intake much less any intake in general, perhaps a seasoned mechanic or tuner can educate me on venting a CAI.

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
How does one vent their CAI to the atmosphere?

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I am a little confused as well, vent the CAI to the atmosphere? Now I know the stock BOV diverts back into the CAI on a stock box, on many aftermarket CAIs there is an bung for EGR or PCV whatever then the second tube that is for the stock BOV setup and you can cap that. Is he saying he is leaving that uncapped? Because that's not venting to atmosphere that's creating an unstable air reading after the map sensor.

I guess pics are in order.

JStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
Yeah I am a little confused as well, vent the CAI to the atmosphere? Now I know the stock BOV diverts back into the CAI on a stock box, on many aftermarket CAIs there is an bung for EGR or PCV whatever then the second tube that is for the stock BOV setup and you can cap that. Is he saying he is leaving that uncapped? Because that's not venting to atmosphere that's creating an unstable air reading after the map sensor.

I guess pics are in order.
The thread was just worded a little poorly. He has the port on the intake capped off and the factory bypass valve venting to atmosphere. Also, the sensor on the intake is only measuring temperature; it's not an actual MAP or MAF sensor. The air before the turbo is not metered. So even if he didn't have it capped off, it wouldn't throw any readings off, however it would be unfiltered.
Sponsored