Sponsored

Turbo Questions

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Can you show us how that is done (what it looks like under the hood with the electronic bypass)? I looked at this solution a while back and decided against it.

BTW - Most twin turbo setups are oversized, and/or wrong AR this is why they lose short races.
I'll try to get some photos posted up. But essentially it's an electric driven motor module with a simple rotating wheel attached to an extension shaft that attaches to the bypass lever. The "brain module" is inside the cabin and a simple wire bundle through the firewall to the module at the blower. Then inside you tap into the APPS wire under the dash at the pedal and then provide a key on power source and a ground. It comes with two other wires if you want to connect for "cut" or "scramble" but I didn't mess with those. The module can be wired directly to APPS or comes with a knob style controller that's linear control (100% knob equals 100% bypass closed under pedal completely depressed. 50% knob equals 50% bypass closed under WOT. 0% knob equal no movement of the motor or 100% bypass under all conditions). So in theory, I could turn the knob off and the blower will simply bypass 100% all the time (for long trips where fuel economy is preferred).

I'm having the car re-street tuned just to ensure off throttle conditions are good A/F. On a 180 mile round trip this weekend, I was seeing 12F over ambient when cruising at 85mph, but I have pretty good cooling (trackspec vent, Oversized H/E, etc). So it's working as advertised. With no tune adjustment it nearly completely eliminated the herky jerky slam of the bypass shutting with 150mm throttle body on a 2.75" pulley (so 19 lbs max boost). Much easier to hold and maintain mid range throttle without the vacuum bypass fighting itself trying to pick which side to be on.

I have yet to determine how much boost is made at each throttle position, but there still is some boost ramp in, it's just not as drastic of a slam. I'm sure I could mess with the ramp rate and get it completely smooth, but I never expected it to be that way. When I stomp WOT, it behaves exactly as it did prior with the vacuum operated valve and gives full sauce.

It also works with centri blowers and BOV's although I'm not sure that's as much of a problem, and particularly so if you're not running a ginormous unit with a small pulley (big peak boost).

My one complaint is that the motor unit sits VERY close to the belt, but under load the gap improves rather than gets worse. I was really worried about belt contact, but doesn't seem to be an issue. I might dremel the side of the housing just for some peace of mind and insurance.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
A turbo is a great way to make alot of power, a car with a properly sized turbo for the application is hard to beat!

That being said, its application dependent. Typically for street driving with the odd track day and when the customer's goal is to be able to run it on the street and race on the weekend a supercharger is a great option.

When it comes to a supercharger they are usually easier to install and require less hassle. a Whipple will make amazing power, as much power as you want, within reason. the 3.0 and 3.8 are badass blowers. The downside to a blower is they have the potential for belt slip and yes, it does take power to turn the blower but it always returns what is lost with much more. with modern belt drive systems and 8 or 10-rib kits you can get great results.

TVS and centri setups will make great power as well, it's all application dependent on how much power you want, and how the power is delivered (high in the RPM range or low down). the typical blower will make more power than the stock bottom end can make.

If you are looking to get out there and build a car for racing and really get after it, turbos are great! They have their own advantages as well. boost controllers, they do not put a strain on the accessory system or crank And there are a lot of companies that make kits for the s550.

the downside of turbos are they have a more complex install than a blower. You need to do a lot of plumbing to make them work. Most of the time there are modifications that need to be done, they share the oil with the engine and tend to run very hot.

End of the day both power adders can make power. The important thing to do is plan out what your goal for the car is before you start buying parts. Power adder, suspension, drivetrain, wheels/tires are all things to think about as well

We do prefer blowers as most of our customers want something they can beat on, have good light-to-light performance and slap the throttle, feel the torque and let off. blowers are hard to beat when it comes to just having fun around town and still being able to run 8s at the track.

The big reason I went with a blower was that I will run the car at the track. But I also want to take it on a road trip and not have to think about it. Only thing! keep on me is a spare belt with some tools to change it when I go out of town.

If you have any questions please give us a call we would love to help and discuss options! 313-561-5500

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Please pardon my ignorance for the following as I’m trying to educate myself on this:

I’m leaning heavily towards a turbo setup for street use purposes for my 2020 5.0/a10, but keep getting recommended either a Whipple or Paxton setup citing “maintenance and upkeep” of a turbo setup.

What is the maintenance and upkeep of a turbo? I asked my shop guy and he just kinna mumbled “vacuum lines…” lol

For a better scope: I will be pairing whatever boost I choose with a triple pump fuel system/injectors and running e85 on my shop guy’s tunes.

Also, what are the available kits? I know about On3, Hellion, and Pickle Performance swears by LPF with a Sai Li fuel system.

Basically just looking for street fun paired with minimal headache with reliability across the whole drivetrain, all things considered.

Thanks!
same way i always say it, you can't go wrong with any power adder on a coyote. they all make power. we do more power adders than anyone on the coyote platform, and we do them all so were not biased

turbo, supercharger, nitrous,

feel free to give me a ring, we can go over your wants, needs, goals, budget, etc.. and put a great package together for you

beef

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
One question that was sparked by some comments with turbos’ power delivery:

Would its power be easier on the rotational driveline components compared to a pd blower? If the torque isn’t instant, then the rotational shear force seems like it would less?
Yes.

The funny thing is that you can program in a slower throttle response if you want to be easier on the driveline….but nobody ever does.

But then the "my power is instant" PD blower guys have no way to win races. :)
Sponsored