Turbo downside info needed

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I am contemplating a twin or single turbo for my 2015 but I am curious what the downside to a turbo vs. supercharger are. Any advice you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is under hood heat extreme in daily driving situation
2. Is engine durability more or less vs supercharger
3. Is there more maintenance
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I am contemplating a twin or single turbo for my 2015 but I am curious what the downside to a turbo vs. supercharger are. Any advice you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is under hood heat extreme in daily driving situation-Worse than a supercharger. Just purchase a turbo blanket to insulate from the heat.
2. Is engine durability more or less vs supercharger-Boost is boost. Motor can't tell the difference between a super charger and a turbo.
3. Is there more maintenance-Not if you buy a good quality kit.

Down side to a turbo kit is expense compared to a Centri Supercharger and a turbo will experience lag. The power and torque is more instant with a supercharger.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
The differences are mostly related to the way they deliver power. As for reliability and maintenance, they are not so different.

Read up on the basics in power delivery, but long story short:
Turbo: can be laggy on low end, greater power potential on top end
Super: Flatter power curve, more NA-like power delivery.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)

Honestly, the answer lies in what type of car you plan on building.

If you are building a DD or a street warrior then NO QUESTION you want to go with a roots or twin screw style supercharger. Positive displacement superchargers are street monsters with super linear and low end power!

If you are building a car that will hardly ever see the street, be a highway sleeper or will be mostly a drag car, then a centri or turbo would be the best choice.

If you plan on doing a build for something crazy like the texas mile...TWINS!

They all have their pros and cons...they all require regular maintenance and they all require expert tuning. All in all, any one of those builds will make for some fun burnouts and donuts! KEEP US POSTED!

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
The car is a sunday driver that will see the strip as often as i have time. I would like to see mid 10w in the 1/4 on street trip. In the past I knew of turbo cars that blew motors due to waste gate malfunction and over boost. I like the idea of no belt stress on the crank and the ability to hit the street on low boost then turn it up on the track. I am also curious how hard it is to launch under boost with a manual. Most turbo cars seem to be autos. Thanks for all the advice and keep it coming.

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
I see a ProCharger build in your future!

We have done a couple ProCharger installs, and the tuning is SUPER COMPLICATED to get right. BUT, it really is the best of both worlds. You can keep your foot out of it when you want to take a Sunday stroll through the twisties or just cruise with you friends...but the second someone wants to test your S550 they will wish that they hadn't! Out on the track it will be easier to launch because the boost comes in a little bit later than a roots or screw.

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I see a ProCharger build in your future!

We have done a couple ProCharger installs, and the tuning is SUPER COMPLICATED to get right. BUT, it really is the best of both worlds. You can keep your foot out of it when you want to take a Sunday stroll through the twisties or just cruise with you friends...but the second someone wants to test your S550 they will wish that they hadn't! Out on the track it will be easier to launch because the boost comes in a little bit later than a roots or screw.
I bounce all over between whipple, procharger and vortech. I had experience with procharger and vortech about 10 years ago and the vortech was far superior but things might be different now. I am curious about the bracket setup on the procharger and what is the advantage and disadvantage of mounting the charger off to the side.

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
I'm in an ecoboost 4 mustang. A twin turbo 8 would be amazing imo. Turbo delivery leaves you wondering for a split second where the power is then bam your butt cheeks are clenched when they spool up. I'm a really big fan of turbo. There's a ton of sc mustangs. Not many twin turbos.

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I'm in an ecoboost 4 mustang. A twin turbo 8 would be amazing imo. Turbo delivery leaves you wondering for a split second where the power is then bam your butt cheeks are clenched when they spool up. I'm a really big fan of turbo. There's a ton of sc mustangs. Not many twin turbos.
I know what you mean. turbos are mainstream at the track but not too many street stangs rock them. I am not sure why other than cost.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
I know what you mean. turbos are mainstream at the track but not too many street stangs rock them. I am not sure why other than cost.
They require RPM to make power and RPM requires room...what is the 1 thing that you are short on when you are on the street? Room.

Sponsored

Kryckter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
With the new 55's that you can get with the Hellion kit, they spool fast. Turbo lag is so small, its not even worth mentioning...

Other than cost and time to install, there is no reason more people shouldn't be doing twin turbos! I've had many centrifugal cars and many twin screw cars. My favorite by far is the turbos! I daily drive this car as well, in the Texas heat. It's good to go!

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
With the new 55's that you can get with the Hellion kit, they spool fast. Turbo lag is so small, its not even worth mentioning...

Other than cost and time to install, there is no reason more people shouldn't be doing twin turbos! I've had many centrifugal cars and many twin screw cars. My favorite by far is the turbos! I daily drive this car as well, in the Texas heat. It's good to go!

What was the most difficult part of the install? Is it possible for the boost controller to malfunction and send massive amounts of boost to the engine? Are you planning to take it to the track? What is the purpose of buying the wide band AEM since the car has a wide band stock? Thanks again for all the info.

Kryckter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
What was the most difficult part of the install? Is it possible for the boost controller to malfunction and send massive amounts of boost to the engine? Are you planning to take it to the track? What is the purpose of buying the wide band AEM since the car has a wide band stock? Thanks again for all the info.
There was really nothing that difficult. Time consuming and tedious at times, but nothing I felt was tough. If I had to say something it would be getting the wastegates in and tightened just because there is little room or tightening the bolts on the turbo, some of those were tricky to get to.

I am planning on taking it to the track soon, but my numbers wont be the best. We are at 4000ft. elevation and our density altitude is 6000+ during the summer...

The wideband sensors from the factory are in the manifolds. These are considered "upstream" meaning before the turbo and do no read accurate. Alot of people say they are normally about .75 of a point rich, but thats a guess. So I am installing the wideband downstream (after the turbo) so it is 100% accurate.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Its all about what type of boost you want. If I had a 15, it would be the twin kit. With the smaller turbo's and the new technology they have, the days of turbo lag are basically a thing of the past.