Sponsored

Tuning complete. Time for the track!

Vector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 A6
As with every form of Motorsport it's only going to be as good as the tires.
Tires are so important I can't stress this enough.
Be it lap time or 60 ft

Drop those SS tires for 305/45-17 MT R and come back posting about why you didn't do it sooner.

Second gear burnout, 7k, 7-8 seconds at that rpm or so. 16 psi in the tires
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
As with every form of Motorsport it's only going to be as good as the tires.
Tires are so important I can't stress this enough.
Be it lap time or 60 ft

Drop those SS tires for 305/45-17 MT R and come back posting about why you didn't do it sooner.

Second gear burnout, 7k, 7-8 seconds at that rpm or so. 16 psi in the tires
I have that excat same tire and have run 1.40 60 ft times.Also know other guys with those tires running good 60ft times.Are the street r's better yes but i dont think that is his problem.

Vector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 A6
I have that excat same tire and have run 1.40 60 ft times.Also know other guys with those tires running good 60ft times.Are the street r's better yes but i dont think that is his problem.
The R will help with any deficiency in prep to some degree. No one here in my area is running SS tires.

There is a vortech/procharger g 1/4 mile group on Facebook. I believe all of the cars consistently in the 9.s are all MT R.

Can it be done with the SS, maybe, will it be more consistent and easier on the R, yes.

Alex Rantz was one of the first cars I am aware of on 4c and 3.55 and it was a R tire, minimal suspension.

Vector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 A6
Rear reading this thread on page one there is at least 4 different people saying get off the SS tire.

I believe tracks are different along with prep.

Example go to my local track on a Friday heads up night, the prep is spot on for low 7 second radial cars, no one really struggling.

Same track on Wednesday test and tune with good prep but not the same, it's hit or miss, mid 10 second cars spinning sometimes 8-8 second cars working ok. Not a single low 7 radial car in site.

Also I have had a car work good while it's sunny out and then at night spin, the track can have moisture on it you really can't see from day to night.

So for Tommy the SS may work and never have any issues but may never work the same for Jay. Based on track, prep and location.

One last bit on prep, just because it looks fresh scrape and sprayed it's not the same as how they would prep it for a radial event. Sure it's better then the street or nothing but it's not apples to apples.

OP
OP
Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Track prep was no question at all this time out. Like I Said I followed our 275 car that went 1.14 60’ on a soft tune. Track was radial prepped awesome. Was it sgmp lights out prep? No but it was damn good for radials. As for burnout I click 3rd gear. See video. Plenty of burnout. SS is staying. I like how a few tread grooves make a huge difference on a streetcar if caught in a rain shower unexpected or something.

@Tommy V they're the 10.5” wheels

See what Lund and bmr say

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Track prep was no question at all this time out. Like I Said I followed our 275 car that went 1.14 60’ on a soft tune. Track was radial prepped awesome. Was it sgmp lights out prep? No but it was damn good for radials. As for burnout I click 3rd gear. See video. Plenty of burnout. SS is staying. I like how a few tread grooves make a huge difference on a streetcar if caught in a rain shower unexpected or something.

@Tommy V they're the 10.5” wheels

See what Lund and bmr say
Yea thats what mine are.What do you mean about lund and bmr??Do they a thread on this somewhere?

OP
OP
Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Yea thats what mine are.What do you mean about lund and bmr??Do they a thread on this somewhere?
I’ve emailed Lund datalog,video, and description. And emailed Kelly video and description. See what they have for advise tomorrow.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
If the track temperature was high you may have heated the tires too much. I ran into this issue with my ET Street Rs. I kept blowing them off and someone said since track temp was so high just to do a really short burnout to just clean the tires. I went from blowing them off to a 1.35 60ft. If the track is hot you need a small burnout. I agree the ET Street R would be better but it should have done better. I doubt the stall is too aggressive. I know tons of people with the same setup and I was running a 3C with 3.73 gears. Lund can give you a tune to leave in 2nd if you want to try that.

OP
OP
Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
If the track temperature was high you may have heated the tires too much. I ran into this issue with my ET Street Rs. I kept blowing them off and someone said since track temp was so high just to do a really short burnout to just clean the tires. I went from blowing them off to a 1.35 60ft. If the track is hot you need a small burnout. I agree the ET Street R would be better but it should have done better. I doubt the stall is too aggressive. I know tons of people with the same setup and I was running a 3C with 3.73 gears. Lund can give you a tune to leave in 2nd if you want to try that.
Track was down in the 80-90's at that point. Especially the short video run was last of the night. It was down to 86( I measure track temp for our 275 car every run and advise the driver the severity of the burnout) for that last run. We try our best to keep the tire temp within 10-15 degrees of the track temp when the track is warm. Higher than that when track temps get below 80. I wish I would've tried leaving in 2nd once that night, but didn't think about it in the rage. LOL

OP
OP
Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Still no update.... Got my DSS 2,000's installed last week and was all excited and ready to hit the track Friday night. Get there and get teched in, go back to the pits and crawl underneath to tighten down the shocks and pull a hand full of grease back. Both halfshafts exploded the outer CV boots..... FML! Haven't looked at the cause yet as it supremely pissed me off. Hopefully tear into it tonight.

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Damm that sucks,maybe thats why you were spinning so much.Getting a little grease on the tires after a burnout??

OP
OP
Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Damm that sucks,maybe thats why you were spinning so much.Getting a little grease on the tires after a burnout??
All runs before that were still on the stock halfshafts. These literally got installed the night before(last thursday), and drove 20 miles to the track.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Ahh ok sounds like the boots were not put on correctly from dss.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Usually the shock dust boot contacts CV boot under compression. Trim it back!

OP
OP
Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Usually the shock dust boot contacts CV boot under compression. Trim it back!
If that's the case and it sounds like it might be you'd think they'd tell you that, or it's a dumb design in the first place. Mega trimming in order, or take the @$%@^%$&^ dust boot off. Everything looked great upon install completion, but I can't say 100% I gave a very thorough look at the shock boots, and definately not back at ride height...
Sponsored