Sponsored

TSB for Secondary Cam Chain Tensioner

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Dealership just ran my VIN and said the TSB does not apply, despite my car being built smack dab in the middle of the relevant time period (built May 2020). They are going to double check but he even sent me a copy of the Oasis report saying no TSBs. Weird.

OP
OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
Dealership just ran my VIN and said the TSB does not apply, despite my car being built smack dab in the middle of the relevant time period (built May 2020). They are going to double check but he even sent me a copy of the Oasis report saying no TSBs. Weird.
As the Bulletin says, there is a VIN-specific list only the dealers can see. This leads me to believe they know exactly which engines might have the problemā€¦. And therefore, only those engines need to be checked.
My GT500 is in the window too, but not on the list. It passes visual inspection.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Are you able to check yourself? It's easy enough, mine is outside the window by 1 day and is fine however, it's worth checking to be on the safe side.

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Just spoke to the dealership today. They replaced the timing chain tensioner and belt I think but it'll be ready tomorrow they said they just want to make sure everything is good. The turn around was pretty quick so I guess it wasn't that bad. I'll know more when I pick it up.

There's another issue with the car (electrical issue) they weren't able to replicate it last time I took it in, but since it's been sitting there I am pretty sure it'll pop up when they start the car. If it doesn't I'll let it sit over the weekend (the problem goes away after frequent starts). So I might have to pick it up then. But the TSB problem was fixed just need this other issue fixed and I'll be home free.

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350
I know you posted this already, and Im responding late but it seems like doc 1 is a generally summary, not necessarily the step by step procedure in full detail. Is Doc 2 supposed to be the "WSW procedures in section 303-01?"

I wouldn't say that these two documents contradict themselves, one is a just wording quick summary and the other is the full procedure (assuming its WSW 303-01). Not a shop foreman but I've had my fair share of reading confusing government documents and trying to make sense of them similar to this.
Update : Ok fans Iā€™m going to shake things up here Iā€™m sure so buckle up. My motor was opened up today and I spoke to the mechanic while we were at my car. Both the right hand and left side tensioners were NOT activated and both guides were chewed up a bit. The motor was in time thank goodness. Now here is the problem they are trying to figure out the different wording on parts needed concerning the possible cylinder head replacement also. I stated my interpretation was if the motor was still in time just replace the tensioners chains and guides on both sides but Iā€™m no mechanic. He just wasnā€™t for sure so no replacement part request to Ford will be submitted until some possible clarification from who knows who. More delays šŸ¤¬

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Update : Ok fans Iā€™m going to shake things up here Iā€™m sure so buckle up. My motor was opened up today and I spoke to the mechanic while we were at my car. Both the right hand and left side tensioners were NOT activated and both guides were chewed up a bit. The motor was in time thank goodness. Now here is the problem they are trying to figure out the different wording on parts needed concerning the possible cylinder head replacement also. I stated my interpretation was if the motor was still in time just replace the tensioners chains and guides on both sides but Iā€™m no mechanic. He just wasnā€™t for sure so no replacement part request to Ford will be submitted until some possible clarification from who knows who. More delays šŸ¤¬
Did they perform a leak down test? Interesting as your timing was good, but the tensioners were not activated. Hopefully, they replace everything to avoid any issues that may have been overlooked. Good luck!

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350
Did they perform a leak down test? Interesting as your timing was good, but the tensioners were not activated. Hopefully, they replace everything to avoid any issues that may have been overlooked. Good luck!
No leak down test performed I was thinking that is only done if the motor is out of time. Plz correct me someone if Iā€™m wrong on that.

Sponsored

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
It would make sense to me, that if the motor is in time, no harm should have occurred,
other than to the guide itself.
The tensioners don't do anything other than remove slack and keep light tension on the
chain so it cannot jump teeth. No other function. The chain does not become longer
or shorter without tension. Sound about right?

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
No leak down test performed I was thinking that is only done if the motor is out of time. Plz correct me someone if Iā€™m wrong on that.
Yours is a tricky situation, and it would make sense if they did not perform the test. However, with both not being activated, it's an easy enough test to check for any damage.

I'll be curious as to what steps will be taken.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I do not know for sure but figure the engine is an interference engine. That means if the timing was out it might be possible for the top of a piston to hit onw or more of the valves. If out enough the engine could be seriously damaged.
A bent valve could happen which would show up in a compression leak down test. I guess if bits of something have been moving around in the engine the cylinders could be scored and causing it to lose compression.
They must be figuring it has not jumped time so all should be OK. I do not think it would jump out of time and then jump back into time.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Yours is a tricky situation, and it would make sense if they did not perform the test. However, with both not being activated, it's an easy enough test to check for any damage.

I'll be curious as to what steps will be taken.
Hello; If the compression is good then it is likely the valves are good. I guess a bore scope in the spark plug holes could check the cylinder walls.
I would do a real good inspection of the oil at the next change. Maybe open up the filter.