Trouble getting power down

Matt-23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT Race Red
I went to the drags on the weekend for my first time. My first run was 13.0 with 60" 2.057 and the trap speed of 122.21mph. I really had a hard time putting the power down. With the Whipple the tyres spun and hopped in 1st 2nd and early 3rd then settled later in 3rd. I have Steeda Stop The Hop package and 300 Michelins rear tyres so it's not the car. What am I doing wrong? Is there anything in the tune I can do? Anything else to help with launch?
Drag timeslips.jpg
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Were you racing a dump truck on that first run? As far as the launches go, is it a manual or an auto? If you're on street tires, it's going to be hard to put the power down no matter what you do, but the technique for optimizing your launch will be dictated by your transmission.

OP
OP
Matt-23

Matt-23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT Race Red
I think the other guy had some issues and pulled out of his run. The second run was against a Jeep a 10 second JEEP lol . The car is manual with a Steeda Tri-ax upgrade and running Michelin Sport 4S 295/35-20 30psi hot in the rear

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
How old are the michelins?
If those 4S are more than 12 months old and have been spun on the street alot, the compound is likely heat cycled to be fairly stiff at this point.
More than 8k on tires since FI?
You can try massive burn outs to try and get rid of heat cycled compound on the surface, but the tires are likely already heat cycled out full tread depth.

The 4S is a street tire and compound will continue to cross link and harden. This happens at higher rates with higher temps. If you drive hard on them in summer, you typically notice a decrease in wet grip the next winter.

You really need NT01, MT, or similar street legal drag radial. Or dedicated rear drag slicks.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Ah big power. A manual trans and street tires.:lipssealed: Get some slicks and try again.

Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Definitely run a bias ply so you reduce your risk of snapping any axles. Radials are not good match for manuals and a prepped surface.

I hear a lot of good things about two steps as well.

Regardless, launching a manual is always going to be tough, especially with the IRS. Start at a lower rpm and slip the clutch as best you can. Keep messing with different rpm launches and better times with come with practice just like everything else.

NVRENUF

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Anything less than an R compound tire at the strip with that much power is useless. You could work on easing the clutch out and get some sub 2.0 60fts but it will never be able to hook like it should.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the other guy had some issues and pulled out of his run. The second run was against a Jeep a 10 second JEEP lol . The car is manual with a Steeda Tri-ax upgrade and running Michelin Sport 4S 295/35-20 30psi hot in the rear
You're on street tires. That is the problem. My '18 with the whipple will spin in third when I hit 5500 at WOT on my street tires, and needless to say first and second are pretty much useless. I also have all the stop the hop goodies on mine. Get a good drag radial, or a dedicated drag setup with ET Street R's or similar.
Sponsored